Pro-668: One tuff radio scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

MONITORING247

I had my scanner on my belt some how it got loose and hit parking lot ground the back poped off batteries poped out and it hit face down with full force on the LCD and then slid to a stop about a foot away I thought the scanner was a goner but to my surprise after putting the batteries back in and the back on to my amazement it STILL WORKED! the 668 is one tuff scanner have you droped your pro668? Lately and what was your outcome?

Last edited:

PVPD730

Premium Subscriber
Never owned a 668, but it happened to one of my Pro-106 machines. Dropped it on a hardwood floor and killed the thing. Not much of a shock as those are china manufactured garbage.

shew

Never owned a 668, but it happened to one of my Pro-106 machines. Dropped it on a hardwood floor and killed the thing. Not much of a shock as those are china manufactured garbage.

I dropped my psr-500 on the driveway and it woul scan but wouldnt pick nothing up...and very low audio

DJ11DLN

You got lucky. I have a 668 and also an 18 and I'm pretty fond of both. Both have taken a few minor knocks (nothing like what yours did) and each time I held my breath until I knew they were still working. I've seen commercial gear take unbelievable hits and still work, and these things, nice as they are, are not commercial gear. But then they aren't designed to be and if they were, they'd probably cost so much that nobody would buy them. Just pretend that it's made of glass and handle accordingly.:)

KCoax

Premium Subscriber
Have a 435HP that was 1/4 submerged in Starbucks breakfast blend. Noticed it when the audio went robotic. Removed batteries and put on the defroster. 1 hour later like brand new.

Nasby

I dropped my 668 on a carpeted floor just a few feet away from my hardwood floor..Whew.
Talk about a close call.
I immediately got online and ordered a carrying case.

garysauctions

Premium Subscriber
You got lucky, for now ... if a problem does crop up in the future look for loose, or crack connections inside.

garysauctions

Premium Subscriber
I dropped my psr-500 on the driveway and it woul scan but wouldnt pick nothing up...and very low audio

You post is a bit confusing ......

Is it just low audio, I mean if it " won't pick up nothing " then there would be no audio out at all ..... my guess is you are talking about the hiss one hears when the squelch is off with no signal present.

I would have someone open it up and look a the antenna connector connection points.

If there is a break between the antenna connector and radio circuitry, it might present itself with the symptom you describe after being dropped.

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
Dropped my 106 stopped receiving any signals set it back they had to replace the main cpu board did it free the bill stated $200.00 but was covered under warranty thank you being a Radioshack customer.

ratboy

Premium Subscriber
I have cases for all my handhelds, except for a couple they either the cases are horrible, or unable to be found. I'm really careful with those. The two I have on my Pro-106 and PSR-500 have saved them several times from cats knocking them off tables and in the past, dogs doing the same thing.

DJ11DLN

I have cases for all my handhelds, except for a couple they either the cases are horrible, or unable to be found. I'm really careful with those. The two I have on my Pro-106 and PSR-500 have saved them several times from cats knocking them off tables and in the past, dogs doing the same thing.

This is why my base scanner sits on top of the fridge!:lol: Life wouldn't be much fun without the critters but they can do a lot of damage.

SCPD

QRT

Mine fell off the bed and the swivel belt clip broke,my stupidity though,why'd I leave it there who knows,guess I was tired the night prior.Whistler sells that belt clip if you want one for your 668.Finally got mine working with the 700mhz system here using DSP set at 80.I love this radio,so far .

iamretirednev

668 Drop

I read the post what a day ago and dropped mine on the garage floor, whew it shut it off, no marks, screen ok, turned it back on and works! Looking for leather case now!

kibler

Feed Provider
Hello MONITORING247.....I haven't had my 668 very long and every time I take it to the truck, I get a scary felling that I am going to drop it???...I am almost 70 years old and my reflexes just don't move like they used to, not that this makes any difference? Ha! ....some time I do stupid stuff though! Glad you came out oK!

ratboy

Premium Subscriber
This is why my base scanner sits on top of the fridge!:lol: Life wouldn't be much fun without the critters but they can do a lot of damage.

The TV behind my old Beagle in this pic didn't last long, and it wasn't the dog's fault, it was my mother's for putting the TV on a little shelf next to our dining room table so one of our guests could watch the Lions play on Thanksgiving. The dog snagged the cord and BLAM, it exploded when it hit the floor. Next day, I got a new, bigger and better, TV:

farfel.jpg

Thanks Farfel!

DJ11DLN

The TV behind my old Beagle in this pic didn't last long, and it wasn't the dog's fault, it was my mother's for putting the TV on a little shelf next to our dining room table so one of our guests could watch the Lions play on Thanksgiving. The dog snagged the cord and BLAM, it exploded when it hit the floor. Next day, I got a new, bigger and better, TV:

Thanks Farfel!

My last one was a Sheltie (sp?), great dog, smart as a whip. Been gone to the big dog park in the sky a couple years now, and I haven't had the heart to replace him. I get too attached, especially to dogs, when I lose one it's like losing a kid. Cats not so bad but I get a little attached to them too.

Back on topic, sort-of anyway, what I did for my Pro-18 when I first got back into scanning a couple of years ago (after a too-long hiatus) was to knock together a wood "base" it would drop into for use in the shop. Just a piece of 3X4 stock (not sure where I got it) about 6" long I traced the base of the radio on, then went to work with a drill and a jigsaw. A little sanding and it was fine. Obscured the speaker but I was using a set of computer speakers in the shop anyway. This would work to keep an "oops" from happening with just about any handheld scanner, including the PO's 668!:p

srschacher

Premium Subscriber

My PRO-106 tipped over on my night table by my bed, and it stopped receiving. It turned out that there are two circuit boards inside, and one of them unplugged from the other. I opened it up and pressed the boards back together, and the scanner started receiving again.

Steve

mikepdx

My PRO-106 tipped over on my night table by my bed, and it stopped receiving.
It turned out that there are two circuit boards inside, and one of them unplugged from the other.
I opened it up and pressed the boards back together, and the scanner started receiving again.
Steve

Thanks for the tip - in case gravity wins the battle for my 106...

ratboy

Premium Subscriber
Hey, Ratboy, I'll bet there aren't many folks on board who know who Farfel was !!

Yeah, it's kind of obscure anymore.

We lived next to a catholic girls high school, and they used to come outside for art class and draw pics of him, and none of them ever got his name right, the nuns and the girls all called him "Sparkle". I still run into someone who went there from 1965 until 1975 who remembered "Sparkle" from art class. Their main memory of him is him hitting the end of his trolley line, and flipping several times, over and over again. His neck was like steel.

Status
Not open for further replies.