Pro-668: Adding Talkgroups to Playlist with RS Software?

Status
Not open for further replies.

buckyswider

Hi guys, finally broke down and got a 668. The USB is finicky with both my PCs, but I'll get around that somehow.

I'm now setting up playlists. I think I must be missing something, because there's NO WAY it can really be this klugey!!

-I added the Trunked Systems on the "Trunked Radio Systems" tab, excluding any TG's I will never ever want to listen to
-I then add the trunked system on the Playlists tab using "New Channel" --> Trunked Talkgroup, and then my only options on the next popup screen are "Add Wildcard" or "Add Talkgroup ID". I want to add individual Talkgroup IDs, but I would really expect some sort of secondary pulldown/popup menu so I can pick from the defined TGs WITHOUT having to know the individual TG ID! So I either have to write down or memorize the TG IDs I want in the playlist...seems extremely backward for software-based programming!

And if I select "wildcard", does it add all TGs in my list from the "Trunked Radio Systems" tab, or is it an open scan for every TG in the system?

One other oddity- I added the Trunked System all at once, but now I notice in the TG information the far right column shows what Playlists each TG is associated with. Seems like it picked some groups for different services (i.e. fire TGs seems to be on 153; PD on 152 or 169 etc.). It would be cool if I could edit a TGs "Playlists" from this view, but that doesn't seem feasible. I have gone through the "Easier to Read" software manual, but I haven't yet found anything that helps me here.

Thanks!

AtlasFBG2

Go to library input tab. On the select import type select standard. Select your state then select systems. Highlight the trunked system you want then click on sites and select the tower in your area. Click back then select talk groups. Highlight the county or category you want. Check the box on which talkgroups you want then click import selected channels. You can then chose which playlist you want them in.

You can also select conventional channels you want also.

If you select wildcard it will pick up every talkgroup on that tower.

buckyswider

Thanks! I was thinking you could import the entire system, and then selectively choose talkgroups to add to a playlist, but I guess not.

Still haven't got anything other than very occasional, short-lived USB connectivity, though. Beginning to think this thing's a bust...

SCPD

QRT
Thanks! I was thinking you could import the entire system, and then selectively choose talkgroups to add to a playlist, but I guess not.

Still haven't got anything other than very occasional, short-lived USB connectivity, though. Beginning to think this thing's a bust...

One thing I have found that works when the USB port will not recognize the scanner is to shut the computer completely down then plug in the USB while the computer is off and then boot up. Works everytime.

Only other option is to remove the memory card and use a card reader, which is probably not the best thing to be doing.

Had this problem on a WS1080 (same scanner) that I setup and manage for a elderly relative.

Never has this problem with my Uniden's and I can see how it could be a big pain to reboot everytime a change need to be made.

buckyswider

Yeah, that's the only way I can get it recognized. So file stuff works OK with that method.

However, I'm trying to update the CPU firmware from 2.3 to 2.4, because the 2.4 Release Notes mention a USB delay that's added because it's required for some hardware. Hoping that would fix my issues.

BUT, I can't the update applied. The update downloads, and then before it gets to the "Firmware Install Progress" bar, the USB bonks and I get the "USB device not recognized" popup. Then I have to remove a battery to restart the scanner.

I'm probably bein pollyanna here, but I'm hoping if I somehow get the firmware updated then everything will work smoothly...

HAHAHAHAHAHA

Last edited:

AtlasFBG2

Give this a try.

With the scanner off press and hold menu then press power. Should say waiting for usb.

Open the Iscan program on your computer.Plug in the usb cable to scanner and computer.Now click on updates then check for cpu firmware.

SCPD

QRT
Should AtlasFBG2 suggestion not work.

Have you tried another USB port? Are you utilizing a USB hub? USB 2.0 or 3.0?

IMO, some of these scanners manufactured by GRE/Whistler have a USB Mass Storage driver (usbstor.sys) issue on some computers.

Last week, a buddy bought the new WS1095 and was getting this same "USB device not recognized" error I get. Tried it on my computer and two at work, same error. He used the workaround I suggested and it worked but in the end he decided to return it because he didn't want to do this every time changes were needed.

One other thing to investigate is make sure your computer doesn't have a tool that adds a secondary driver to your USB ports. Ran into a issue a year or so ago on a relative's laptop where a factory installed tool called "ASUS Ai Charger" was blocking the install of a peripheral. Uninstalled it and all was well.

buckyswider

Thanks, as soon as I plug it in while "Waiting for USB" I get the dreaded "USB not recognized".

I've tried in 3 different machines; two Win7, one Win8. Both USB2 and USB3 ports attempted. No external hubs.

If this is flaky, maybe I'll try to exchange it...is it a unit-by-unit issue??

SCPD

QRT
Thanks, as soon as I plug it in while "Waiting for USB" I get the dreaded "USB not recognized".

I've tried in 3 different machines; two Win7, one Win8. Both USB2 and USB3 ports attempted. No external hubs.

If this is flaky, maybe I'll try to exchange it...is it a unit-by-unit issue??

While I can only speak to the two units GRE/Whistler manufactured units I have physically had in my hands and had this issue, I did conduct a search here on RR and found this is a common issue for some.

As far as the cause, your guess is as good as mine. I tend to believe the issue is with how the scanner utilizes the USB Mass Storage driver file ubstor.sys but this is just a guess.

The fact is that my uncle's WS1080 which is pretty much the same as your Radio Shack branded 668 and my buddy's new WS1095 which is based on the WS1080 exhibits the same issue speaks volumes.

Last edited:

kibler

Feed Provider
I had a "Unsigned Driver Notification" preventing my PC USB's from talking to my Scanner! Had to go in and disable it! Works fine now, ever time! Thanks

AtlasFBG2

You could try;

Shut the computer off.Plug in the usb cable.With the scanner off press and hold menu then press power.Start the computer up open the software and try to update firmware.

Pretty much the same way you got it to update files but your puting the scanner in firmware update mode at the beginning.

Do you have another usb cable laying around you could try?

Status
Not open for further replies.