Pro-668 need help, please. Missing menu option.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jay5002

Hi all, I am thankful to have found this community. I've been waiting all day to get home and turn on my new scanner, lol. I got home and immediately backed up the sd card files to my laptop. After that I turned on the scanner, entered my zip code and started scanning through nothing but dead air. I live in a larger city, there's always a lot of activity to hear. I decided maybe I should update the library and firmware. I got part of the way through an update and it just stopped and the window disappeared, then I noticed the menu option to select location and enter my zip code was no longer in the main menu. After that I screwed around with things and I got error codes and went through a nightmare of trying to get that sd card loaded with my backup files. I got that done but still can't find a way to enter my location (zip code) and listen to the frequencies I know are loaded onto my sd card. I try to press play and a message says "nothing to play!".
Has anyone else experience this? Can anyone help me figure this out? I saved up for months to buy his thing and I am into this fix for several hours so far. It's my friday night. I will devote the next two days to this if I have to.

Thanks to anyone who might be willing to try and help me out...

Jay5002

I figured it out, somehow when I copied my backup files to the sd card, a couple of files were missing. I fixed that problem, but now I can scan through playlists and only pickup nearby hotels and stuff, not trunked police systems. Why isn't the scanner picking up any signals? Help??

Jay5002

Still no dice...

I went to a nearby HRO store and bought an RH77CA antenna and the guy at the counter suggested making sure I had channels programmed to particular play/scan lists. He was right, I only had a wildcard in the playlist. I figured out how to get a handful of channels saved to my playlist and when I save it to the scanner and play/scan the list, I pick up nothing at all. Maybe onv=ce every 30 minutes I'll catch a partial transmission. What am I doing wrong? I see the playlist names, but no signals get picked up and no names of agencies ever show. Is there any way to pay someone to program an sd card for my area, or send me a file to load to my own card? I need help...

Jay5002

Progress...

I am learning by exploring. I have duplicated the talkgroups listed on a streaming online scanner, so I know these are busy and I can hear them on the online scanner. On my pro-668, nothing much at all. What can I do to pick up the same steady stream of transmissions that the online unden scanner gets? I am very confident that I have set my lists up properly. I am indeed receiving transmissions, but not many. I am using a Diamond RH77CA. I'm making progress, but can't get this thing licked. I need sleep so bad... Any advice?

ansul1001

#1 Member
Have you tried entering in only the county systems that you are close to this is what i had to do Go into your menu and select the state then the county and then select the system in your area and save it to its own playlist then only listen to that playlist

mke65

The HRO employee was absolutely correct. The zip code function worjs OK for a quick fix but for your home address you should break the banks down into what you want to hear in order to isolate a channel easily. Also on the software hold control while selection the first channel then scrolling to bottom then select the last channelallows you to select all... After they are highlighted you can change options for all including my favorite record which allows everything to be recorded.

Also verify which radio towers are closest to you and isolate those frequencies by locking out the farther frequencies (assume mainly home use) helps reception. From Lakewood WA I hear Seattle, Tacoma with no issues using only the radio Shack 800 duck.

Jay5002

Thanks guys for the replies. I've narrowed things down in my playlists and found that using the "standard" search in the "import from library" tab worked best for me. From there I edited my lists to only dispatch talkgroups for the local police and fire. I also had to use the windows 8 trick from another thread to be able to download the firmware updates. I used the scanner at work in a better area than home and picked up tons of activity. I know that my apartment is causing me problems. I am surrounded by several blocks of brick buildings, on the bottom of a very large hill, and near tons of interference. I might look for an indoor antenna for home use, if that would be advisable. Thoughts on that?

I'll look into locating my closest towers and isolating them. Cool advice.

Thanks again, all.

baptistjcat

Welcome Jay5002 to the RR community. I have a ws1080 scanner which is basically the same scanner. When I leave my house I pick up my local PD which is digital very clear. But when I'm home it's a different story. I live in a null. I use a directional anteena. This helps a lot with the garbled and missed transmissions. I still have to adjust the antenna an inch or so to find the signal from time to time. Do a lot of experimenting. I have learned a lot from the other guys on this forum they really know what there talking about.

Jay5002

Thanks, I'm learning a lot here and just like I told my dear dad before he passed, regarding his DVD player and cable box... "play around with it, there's no button on it that makes it explode." I've finally got the talkgroup programming procedure down and have faced many issues that are common with the PRO-668 for new users. I am going to give back a little and put together a short beginners' troubleshooting guide for the PRO-668 and similar models. This scanner drove me up the wall for days, then a couple of nights ago I figured out what I was doing wrong after experimenting and seeing lists download like I hadn't seen before. I just wasn't doing it right and it is not at all intuitive. The trick is in using the menu button to open more options where there don't appear to be any. That was a big problem for me, anyway. Well, thanks to all who offered advice. I appreciate you sharing your knowledge. Thanks to all who've left info here for us to find. CHEERS!

Carlos29532

Premium Subscriber
I to have the same problem with my PRO 668. New to this so any help would be appreciated.....don't have zip codes nor clear channels...

SurgePGH

Premium Subscriber
I am having an import channel issue. When I am in the Library Import Tab and select a location the 'NEXT' button and the 'Import Selected Channels' button never become selectable. Any ideas what I am missing here?

SCPD

QRT
Sorry for resurrecting this thread I am getting super frustrated - I flat out do not have the option "set location" in my menu on the pro-668

rwier

If the 668 is a cousin to the 800:

Open EZScan (or what your scanner calls the software)
General Settings Tab (bottom left)
Set Location (lower right)
Select on.

marcotor

I ♥ÆS Ø
Feed Provider
The software is similar, but not the same as the 800
From someone who actually has the scanner you are asking about - it's Select Places.

Also, in the scanner Settings menu, it should be the very last entry

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 320
  • IMG_0459.jpg
    IMG_0459.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 328
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.