Pro-668 file overwrite question!

Status
Not open for further replies.

kibler

Feed Provider
Hi.....I was wondering about the "OVERWRITE WARNING!" when sending files to PC from scanner in the I-scan software!

In my "Open V-Scanner Folder" menu I have two folders (CDAT_VS.002 and CDAT_VS.005) that I want to NOT overwide! On my Pro-668, I have some stuff that I programed with the radio and want to look at it on PC. When I open "Scanner/SD Card" menu to save it to PC, it says it will Overwrite all information on the computer! Does that really mean it will wipe out the two above V-Scanner files or is there a way to get around this? Sorry if this is stupid question or if this has been asked before! Thanks

troymail

Silent Key
Since the early days - to be safe - I always (now without even thinking about it) - press the "Clear Delete" and "Clear Copy" buttons on the panel where you select V-Scanner folders ... then select only the choices I want to copy, etc. This give you more positive control over the copying/deleting.

Having said that - the software will write over an existing copy of a V-Scanner folder on the PC or SD (depending on which way you are copying). If you want to avoid this for one reason or another, there are various backup options available to you.

kibler

Feed Provider
Hi troymail......Thanks for the reply and your thoughts! I was able to deselect those folders I didn't want to overwrite OK! Thanks
Now......the stuff that I was playing around with and wanting to look at on PC from the scanner does not show up in any folder that I can find yet???....I must be going about this all wrong! The stuff I wanted to look at was the stuff I entered into the scanner itself from the Library files inside the scanner! Maybe it doesn't work that way! Anyway, no biggie! Thought I could see those channels! Thanks for your help

kibler

Feed Provider
What method do you use to enter objects into the radio directly? They should be stored in a Scanlist/Playlist. Did you copy that list onto the PC?
Ha! No? not sure what I am doing! Ha! Let me look and see if I am capable of doing that! Thanks

kibler

Feed Provider
Well, the stuff I am playing with is in Playlist 1 & 2 on scanner and I put them there by way of the Library! Sorry, I get a little confused here! Thanks

kibler

Feed Provider
Hi troymail......Guess I better let 'well enough', alone before I really mess something up! Thanks for your information!

RDGDigital

If all you want to do is see what you've manually programmed in the scanner, then this is what I would do.

First, in the iScan software save you current configuration (if you don't already have it saved). You can do this by selecting from the menu File>>Save to Archive and giving it a unique name. Next, from the menu select Scanner/SD Card>>Copy Configuration from Scanner Memory/SD Card. It will still prompt you to overwrite but since you've saved a backup it won't matter.

Now the iScan software will have a copy of the scanner's current configuration and now you can just browse around in the software to see what things you've manually programmed or changed. I'd also recommend saving this to an archive file (with it's own unique name) so you can go back to it, if necessary, in the future. When you're done, if you want to go back to your previous configuration, then select from the menu File>>Restore from Archive, select the file you previously saved and you're back to where you started.

Hope this helps.

LeSueurC

IBEW Local 50
Premium Subscriber
If you've previously updated the V-Folder, it will always be in your list of folders. But if you update something in it and want that to be copied onto the radio, you need to select it before you copy.

kibler

Feed Provider
Thanks RDGDigital, LeSueurC.......Great stuff to know! I will give that a go! That is just good general information. Thanks, that is what I wanted to do, is just see the stuff I manually put into the radio from the Library's.

Status
Not open for further replies.