Pro-668: Reset firmware"

Status
Not open for further replies.

kenrb01

I thought I came across a thread here where someone mentioned knowing how to reset a 668 to factory firmware, but haven't been able to find any instructions. Can someone post that if it is available?

I'm not talking about the factory settings in software, but the factory firmware. I paid someone to do it a few days after I made the mistake of purchasing the thing, but when I hooked it back up to the software, it showed the latest firmware was still installed. Showed same on the scanner screen itself.

The thing is pretty much useless at this point. Leave it on for more than an hour it crashes. Leave it plugged in with USB, on or off, it crashes. Once it crashes, have to take batteries out and wait a couple hours, then reinstall batteries and it will work, The only way I can get it to work, is to baby it with a big supply of charged batteries, which take longer to charge than they last in the scanner, and only use it for limited time. Have tried changing the SD card, reformatting with a card reader and better program other than Win7 or RS software, no go.

DJ11DLN

The crashing-on-USB-power could be a dead giveaway that your USB source is insufficient in mA's or possibly has fluctuating voltage. Just a thought. I've got one of these, it runs on external power about 80% of the time and it's never given me any of that sort of problems.:confused:

What kind of USB power are you using (wall wart, cigar lighter adapter, computer, powered hub, etc)?

garysauctions

Premium Subscriber
Silly question .....

What is the USB power source you are using ??????

Is it an adapter in your car that is plugged into a keyed power source?

That could be the issue.

One must keep in mind that although these scanners have a USB port on them, they are NOT fully USB compliant and where this shows up is in the power handling aspect.

kenrb01

Mostly computer USB port on brand new computer, USB 2.0 and 3.0. Sometimes with AC USB charger.

This happened twice yesterday with just the batteries though. Showed about 1/3 battery available left, and just crashed, and noticed it after there were no transmissions for a few minutes. Have used Radio Shack rechargeable batteries and other brands, that were charged with USB, in a Pro 94, and with external charger.

kibler

Feed Provider
Hello...........Back to the Original question! Does anyone know of a way to Factory Reset this Radio? It might come in handy for some reason! Thanks

SCPD

QRT
factory reset

You'd have to just erase the SD card or get a new one ,then reformat the card with EZscan.
Use the original CD that came with the radio and say no to dsp and firmware
updates.Update only the database.Theres my take on it.That would wipe out all your scan lists,scan sets and everything else and it would be factory like you just bought it.

garysauctions

Premium Subscriber
Hello...........Back to the Original question! Does anyone know of a way to Factory Reset this Radio? It might come in handy for some reason! Thanks

Yeah it might, come in handy for some reason but for the problem you gave .... probably not.

I have three 668's here one has original firmware, other is updated and all three exhibit odd behaviors associated with using external USB power.

R

retiredmich

kibler, I think this is what you are looking for on your 668

Default Vals/Restore Factory Defaults Resets all settings to their default values except the welcome message.

Scanner Press SEL or to reset.

kenrb01

I brought up FW reset because the first time I saw the crash was day 2 of having the unit, it crashed during the first FW upgrade attempt. I did upgrade to version 2.4 a few days ago, and it later crashed while running on batteries.

There was no CD with the radio, the software was on the original SD card. I will install software on another computer, get new SD card, and start from scratch. I don't think that reverts the FW though, but I could be wrong.

I ordered a USB power tester and will test the power of the different sources I use and the cable, and report those. Will probably be a week before I get that device.

After work today, I will try to duplicate the crash and get the error codes of the screen.

kibler

Feed Provider
Hey guys.......I don't need to Factory Reset my 668 for any reason! It was only curiosity on my part, that made me ask my question and also it was the original question by the OP! Thanks

kenrb01

-Error Detected-
Please see User Guide for more information.
Code: 3-03
00003194 0001

Not sure what I did with my manual, and couldn't find one online, but I don't remember it having any error codes. The Whistler site suggests that all errors are SD card related, if I read it right. I'll follow those instructions with a new card and see what happens.

dcr_inc

Feed Provider *York Pa.*
Premium Subscriber
You MUST us an adapter that can supply 2 AMPS (2000 MAh or more) output current or the scanner WILL do weird stuff.. The 668 is a power hog !!
I installed several (4) of these in fire house alerting systems and found out the hard way that you have to have a lot of current or its game over..

W8WCA

As I recall - when you have The pro-668 software running and hook up the pro-668 (Power off).

You can have the program check firmware or DSP Updates.

It will check and even if they are both the same it gives you the option of 'flashing' the latest over what is in the scanner.

I realize this is not the orignal firmware - but the latest firmware and DSP firmware both work fine for about everyone i have heard of (Including myself)

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
DCR_INC hear is a copy and past from the man that designed the firmware for the PRO-668.
Buy default the scanner will never draw more than 500mil total.
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Quote:
Originally Posted by garysauctions View Post
I am fairly new here but you seem to have contradicted yourself here ......

You said the following in this order .......

1) USB supplies a maximum of 500mA. The scanner draws less than that.

2) if audio is umuted AND the battery charging is active, then the scanner can draw more than 500mA.
My intent was to explain why the charger turns off (icon changes from "charging" to "power cord") when audio is unmuted. Turning the charger off keeps current draw below 500mA. If the charger was left on while audio was unmuted, then the scanner could draw more than 500mA - this is prohibited by the USB specification.

Quote:
I have a USB battery bank with dual outputs.

It can supply 1 amp from one and 2 amps from the second for a total of just over 3 amps total.
The USB specification limits devices connected to 1.x and 2.0 ports to 500mA each. Your "USB battery bank" may well supply more current (I have several USB "chargers" that can supply 1A and 2A), but these are not USB ports. It's possible that the D+ and D- pins on such power supplies are configured as "Dedicated Charging Ports", but the scanner is not designed to detect that.

The scanner is also not designed to detect "Charging Downstream Ports". Even though such ports can supply up to 1.5A in full-speed mode, the scanner will not draw more than 500mA.

DJ11DLN

You MUST us an adapter that can supply 2 AMPS (2000 MAh or more) output current or the scanner WILL do weird stuff.. The 668 is a power hog !!
I installed several (4) of these in fire house alerting systems and found out the hard way that you have to have a lot of current or its game over..

I often power mine from an orphaned Samsung phone charger. 780 mA. Never had an issue with it.:confused:

kenrb01

I now have 2 new SanDisk 8GB SD cards, and a 2.1 amp USB wall charger to test with. I'm going to load an SD card per instructions on Whistler site, with new software install, and no special alerts or settings. Just my county with a few playlists. I will update the software, but not the DSP or CPU firmware at this time.

After reading the comments above, I also thought I might change the dip switch to regular battery mode, and leave the USB cable plugged in to see if that might make a difference. I would like to leave it plugged in and run it as a base most of the time. I have older scanners that still work in my county that I can take mobile. Any thoughts on running it this way?

kenrb01

First test...less than 30 minutes before it crashed with new SD card and USB charger. No error code this time, just froze up with no sound and none of the buttons working.

kenrb01

No, but I can try that next. I have to leave it off for a while when it does this before it will come back on.

kenrb01

It was ready. I set up new SD card and I reinstalled the firmware for both, and noticed it did show it erased and reinstalled the CPU FW. The DSP went really fast, but appeared to rewrite. Everything is hooked back up and testing again. Hoping it doesn't stop until I turn it off.

Status
Not open for further replies.