Pro-651 Antenna Upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harlock

Does anyone have a tried and true suggestion for an antenna upgrade for my handheld scanner? The stock antenna works well, but if I can get an upgrade that would be great. I recently put a better antenna on my Baofeng Ham radio, and it was a noticeable improvement, so I'd like to do the same for my scanner.

Septa3371CSX1

Depends on what you're looking to pick up. If you have 700/800 MHz systems in your area go for an 800 MHz antenna. If your area is VHF and UHF go for a dual band 2M/70CM HAM antenna.

madrabbitt

Feed Provider
See if you can get the same antenna you bought for the ham, with the correct connector.

Almost any quality aftermarket antenna will improve a scanner.

A dual band vhf/uhf will actually work well on 800 as well.

DJ11DLN

A dual band vhf/uhf will actually work well on 800 as well.

+1, that has been my experience as well. Many will say it does not work, but for me at least it was a very good improvement across the bands. 99% of what I monitor is on VHF-Hi, UHF, and 800.

Harlock

Since it's a Pro-651 I'd like to start scanning the digital realms, but haven't yet programmed these so I simply scan those freq ranges for the moment. I listen to stations that fall in the 20MHz - 500 MHz currently.

I've heard the Radio Shack 800 MHz antennas are a good upgrade, but will that cut out my lower frequencies more?

Already I notice that my Pro-29 picks up freqs in the 120 MHz range with a stock antenna better than my Pro-651. I know that no radio is perfect too, but if I can give the 651 a boost it only seems logical to find out.

Blackswan73

I have found the Nogoya 701 works very well. It is on par with the 800mhz Radio Shack antenna, at a fourth of the price. Can be found for $5-$10.

The BNC version, which is the one you want, has a shrouded connector, which I really like

Harlock

Nagoya Antenna

I have found the Nogoya 701 works very well. It is on par with the 800mhz Radio Shack antenna, at a fourth of the price. Can be found for $5-$10.

The BNC version, which is the one you want, has a shrouded connector, which I really like

Thanks for the tip. The antenna I put on the ham for an upgrade was a Nagoya NA-771 (VHF/UHF), so I'll check out the 701 for my scanner.

Harlock

Question for you guys... If I switch to an 800 MHz antenna, am I going to notice frequency range loss on anything lower than 800 MHz??

Blackswan73

The 771 is basically the same, but almost twice as long as the 701. Not as practical as the 701 for a handheld scanner, especially if you want to clip it to your belt, or carry it in a pocket.

madrabbitt

Feed Provider
Question for you guys... If I switch to an 800 MHz antenna, am I going to notice frequency range loss on anything lower than 800 MHz??

You're more likely to experience 150/460 loss with an 800 antenna then losing 800 with a 150/460 antenna.

It may or may not be enough to notice on a handheld wide band receiver.

FallenAnjel

i'm looking for a better antenna too, as I also have a Pro-651. I listen to Suffolk County PD trunked system (which comes in fine w/ the stock antenna). but I'd like to hear more Fire departments. Right now I can only listen to maybe 3 departments w/ the rubber duck antenna and I'd love to listen to more which are further away. Do I need an outdoor antenna for that or will the Nogoya 701 work for that? All the FD's are in the 400's.

Thanks and please delete if I am not allowed to post in this thread. I thought it wasn't really jacking since it's sort of the same question. ;)

Blackswan73

My county is only about 25 miles across at it's widest. We have one tower pretty much ad the center of the county, so anywhere in that county, you are never more than 10-12 miles from the tower. That said, my 701 on my 652 can pick up just about anything in a four county circle. I also receive lifeline choppers at about 30 miles out. For no more than they cost, I would suggest getting one and see how it works in your area.

Harlock

i'm looking for a better antenna too, as I also have a Pro-651. I listen to Suffolk County PD trunked system (which comes in fine w/ the stock antenna). but I'd like to hear more Fire departments. Right now I can only listen to maybe 3 departments w/ the rubber duck antenna and I'd love to listen to more which are further away. Do I need an outdoor antenna for that or will the Nogoya 701 work for that? All the FD's are in the 400's.

Thanks and please delete if I am not allowed to post in this thread. I thought it wasn't really jacking since it's sort of the same question. ;)

I don't think you're HJing the thread at all, in fact I'm glad to hear others are interested in the same. I'm formerly from LI Nassau County. The scanner listening is great on LI.

You shouldn't need an outdoor antenna unless you really have signal loss indoors when you want to operate indoors (say, in the Winter months).

Harlock

I've decided not to change to an 800 MHz antenna for the moment. I'll probably pick one up at some point just to experiment, but the stock antenna is doing good for now. The Nagoya 701 BNC connector is pretty cheap for a 6" so I may pick up one of those for my old Pro-29 since one of my cats gnawed on the end of it - ha! That old scanner works like a champ though; I used it last night because my 651 batteries died.

Thanks for all the feedback!

Harlock

Very good to know, Redneck0410. I like the 15" length, and the price is not bad. Thanks for the suggestion!

Status
Not open for further replies.