Pro 106 Scanner Won't Transmit with DC Power

Status
Not open for further replies.

scretwjf

Premium Subscriber
I have a Radio Shack Pro 106 police scanner. Weird issue going on. The scanner works fine on regular alkaline batteries. When I take the battery pack out and plug the dc power outlet into cig lighter it powers up and scans as normal. The issue is that even though its scanning as normal no transmissions come through. I disconnect the dc and put the batteries back in it's normal operation again with all the usual transmissions coming through. Ever heard of this or have suggestions? I hate to use batteries when I can simply plug up to dc. Thank you. Jerry

Blackswan73

I hope you are not plugging directly into the cigarette lighter. That radio runs on 6vdc. Funny, though, the factory ac walwart is 9vdc. At any rate your lighter is 13.8vdc, too much for that radio.

scretwjf

Premium Subscriber
Yes I'm plugging the cig lighter adapter for the Pro 106 into the dc power cig plug. I've done it ever since I've had the scanner with no issues till now. Why would they make a dc cig lighter adapter that you're not supposed to use with the Pro 106?

scretwjf

Premium Subscriber
It scans fine as normal with cig lighter dc power just don't hear any communication. When I go back to batteries all nomal chatter and scanning.

Blackswan73

Yes I'm plugging the cig lighter adapter for the Pro 106 into the dc power cig plug. I've done it ever since I've had the scanner with no issues till now. Why would they make a dc cig lighter adapter that you're not supposed to use with the Pro 106?
If you are using the lighter adapter that came with the scanner, it has a voltage regulator in it that reduces the voltage to 9vdc.

GeneseeCoMI

Did you remove the white adapta plug that plugs into the scanner and turn it around? If it's on backwards the charger won't work. Flip it around and see what happens.

Also btw your thread title is factually inaccurate. Scanners only receive. They don't transmit.

R

retiredmich

Does your car have "Accessory " plug's besides cig lighter plug ? try the accessory plug & see what happens. Something may have happened to the cig plug.

Flyham

Check the adapta plug polarity. Also there's a small dip switch in the battery compartment but I don't recall if it's for battery vs external power or just for alkalines vs rechargeables.

Spitfire8520

I might be completely clueless! =)
Check the adapta plug polarity. Also there's a small dip switch in the battery compartment but I don't recall if it's for battery vs external power or just for alkalines vs rechargeables.

This is the second time that I've seen a mention of a switch that I have not seen in my unit. Did some of the Pro-106s have a switch or is there just confusion about the model of scanner being discussed?

N9JIG

Sheriff
There is no DIP switch in the PRO106 or it's sister radios (PR500, PRO651 etc.). I think the person posting that was confusing these with the Uniden's that have one for switching between rechargable batteries and non-rechargables. The RS/GRE/Whistlers use a different battery holder (Yellow for rechargable, black for non).

As to the original problem, I suspect the voltage regulator on the power adapter has gone bad. Check it with a volt meter and see if the voltage is close to 9 volts. It is OK to be a little off but will likely not work if it is too far off.

GeneseeCoMI

I would think if the adaptaplug was switched the cross polarization would have fried the unit.

No I've had it backwards a bunch of times on both my AC and DC adapters on both of my scanners (and some older analog ones that I sold) and they still work fine. It just won't power them til I switch it around to the right position.

kb8rvp

I would not turn the adapaplug around you could FRY the scanner. If it's turning on I'm sure it fine. I think it's may be an issue with some line noise causing the scanner not to pick anything up. You could test it with a wall adapter in the house set at 9 volts with the tip set to -. I have seen scanners set to a + tip and pop the scanner never turns on again.

Good Luck

kb3isq

Premium Subscriber
You should try a AC to 9 VDC Wal-wart shuch as the Radio Shack 273-355 with a Adaptaplug "C" # 273 336 or a GRE P500 AC power supply. They are available on e-bay.

scretwjf

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for everyone's replies

Thanks for everyone for your replies. My scanner is still doing this. I read online that resetting global might help. I did this and it still is the same. Again what the scanner is doing is it's powering on just fine. Scanning just fine. No transmissions are received. I unplug the dc cord, put the black battery case in the unit and everything's fine. All transmissions come through. Any other ideas as to how the scanner is "acting" normal but zero transmissions?

GeneseeCoMI

Thanks for everyone for your replies. My scanner is still doing this. I read online that resetting global might help. I did this and it still is the same. Again what the scanner is doing is it's powering on just fine. Scanning just fine. No transmissions are received. I unplug the dc cord, put the black battery case in the unit and everything's fine. All transmissions come through. Any other ideas as to how the scanner is "acting" normal but zero transmissions?

Your power socket might be disconnected from the circuit board.You should find a radio repair shop and have them take a look inside.

Spitfire8520

I might be completely clueless! =)
Are you able to test your scanner with an AC adapter to a wall outlet? It is probably best to try to determine if the issue is with the car, the power supply, or the scanner itself.

N8IAA

I had a strange issue with my 106 a week ago Saturday. Worked great at the beginning of a road trip, then acted up on the way home. Had the 9v DC adapter plugged into a socket in the car. Would run, then not. Happened during the week, found that the tip of the adapter had come unscrewed. Tightened it down and seemed to work. Then it stopped yesterday. Made a stop at the shack and picked up a new one. Scanner runs just like it's brand new.
Maybe your problem.
Larry

scretwjf

Premium Subscriber
Identified Pro 106 scanning issue

I have been having an issue with my Pro 106 powering on, scanning, but not being able to hear any action. I purchaed a new power cord " T-Power DC adapter" on Amazon for about $13 total with shipping. This new power cord did the trick! I'm back in business with dc power and not having to use up batteries. Thanks to everyone who attempted to help me.

Status
Not open for further replies.