PRO-668 Software (fun stuff)

Status
Not open for further replies.

InlandAZ

I doubt it's just me, this has to be the most unintuitive piece of software I've ever run across. While I understand the entire RR DB is present on the SD card, why does it not allow me to create my "own" play lists? Let's say, all of one city's local PD in playlist 1 without having to manually enter the talk group ID's. You know, kind of like a web import for a pro-197...

How are Play Lists deleted?
How are Play Sets deleted?

Also, once I've done what I can with the software how is it transferred to the scanner? Is this: Copy to V-Folder?

A manual would have been a great idea :)

marksmith

Go to the data import tab, use standard, select the state, county, system, just the PD talkgroups you want, then click import and select the playlist. Done. No manual talkgroup entries.

To delete a playlist, go to playlist tab, pull up the playlist you want to delete, remove all the talkgroups or whatever you have there. Then go to the main page and eliminate the name you gave the playlist.

It's not Intuative, but it's not hard wither. In fact, once you figure it out, it's easy.

Mark
WS1095/536/436/996P2/HP1e/HP2e/996XT/325P2/396XT/PRO668/PSR800/PRO652

InlandAZ

For starters, there is no "Data Import" tab - There is a Library Import tab which is what I used to load the frequencies for my zip code. The problem is, they're not organized the way I want them.

After uninstalling the software and reinstalling it - I do see the "Standard" Import, let me give this a shot...

Still no luck - how the heck do you assign these to a Play List? I specified # 1 and yet when I select it, there are no talk groups...

Last edited:

marksmith

Once you have selected the specific system, sites, talkgroups you want in that playlist, you select the playlist and import.
Once you select the playlist, you must execute the import.

Note- if you don't specify the playlist, it will dump everything into the default playlist, which is zero, unless you change it. Normally you have to select the playlist you want and deselect the default playlist.

Once you have imported, you can do various forms of tweaking in the trunked systems tab, pulling up sites, talkgroups or radio id's in the lower section.

Zip code loading is garbage. You never get what you want. I consider that a feature just to see if the radio works. After that it is useless.

If you are having trouble getting used to the software, you might try doing it on the radio. The process is the same, but it might help understand the pc software. I think the menu option is browse library (as opposed to objects).

Mark
WS1095/536/436/996P2/HP1e/HP2e/996XT/325P2/396XT/PRO668/PSR800/PRO652

InlandAZ

Yeah, I played with the software all night :) It makes a bit more sense today after having run through it several times last night. But, I'm still not sure why it's more difficult than let's say - a Win500 Web import. Not all TGRP ID's are imported, the encrypted ID's are "X"'d out and do not appear in my play list after an import.

Is there a way to include these in an import?

Swipesy

Click on Import Options button just before you import and click on the box that says to import all encrypted objects.

InlandAZ

I have done that, as well as set it as the default. No go - the TGID's don't import. As an interesting side note, my 106/197 rarely stop chattering, and the 668 just sits in silence. All are running the same 800 Mhz antenna, monitoring the same 700/800 Mhz sites.

Another interesting thing is that in the 106/197 configuration when I program a site all I include is the CC's and TGID's specific to that site. In the 668 as I add sites from the same system and view them in the Trunked Systems tab, they seem to all be joined. In other words, if a specific site is associated with a single agency, after adding another site (and viewing the details) I see them all lumped together. Which is a bad thing - I don't want to scan the entire system for a single agency on a single site.

Maybe that's why the 106/197 is more active than the 668?

Edit -

Just noticed another annoyance with the software (which I'm liking less and less) - even though my play lists are enabled in the software, once the file is copied to the scanner they are disabled. It also has many crashes and access violations.

This one is going back - I'm done with it. The software blows chunks, and the unit fails to receive anything but Motorola systems. No good for me when all my scanning in on P25.

Last edited:

Circa

Running as administrator fixed my access violations.
I imported my "local" frequencies into Playlist 1 using the import from text file option.
(options in the bottom right corner of the conventional tab)

Make sure you are copying FROM scanner before making any edits and your enabled lists shouldn't get messed up when you copy back TO the scanner.

Sent from my Android using Tapatalk.

Last edited:

InlandAZ

I've tried just about everything - with no luck. I think I'll make one last attempt in the Arizona forum, apparently I can receive everything but the RWC system. I can receive things my 106/197 couldn't dream of receiving, and yet the RWC is as dead as a door nail. I've even coded a wildcard hoping to catch something local, but no....

Doesn't appear to be an overload issue either, I set the attenuator on the sites, and still nothing.

kb8rvp

When I first got started I installed the programming software on my laptop which I always (right click the icon and select run as administrator so the software doesn't crash). Then I updated the database in the software from the internet and uploaded the database updates to the scanner via the software (click updates and check for library update) and then when finished (copy library to scanner memory SD card) because the frequencies used inside the scanner could be months old and missing frequencies you will need for the system in your area to work. Then on the scanner I used the zip code programming (select place) to program the scanner for my area. Then I uploaded the programming that my zip code brought in to the laptop (scanner/SD and copy configuration from scanner memory) so I could see everything that was programmed within the software via my zip code so I could make changes to the programming. Then I copy my changes back to the scanner using the (copy configuration to scanner memory SD).

One thing I have seen cause issues with the Pro-668 is the squelch setting. It needs to be just above the settings that caused it to open. If you look at the white line that gets wider as you move up the scale above the squelch knob you will see a gap in the middle of the graph and that is the sweet spot. To high you won't hear anything and to low it will slow down the scan rate or stop scanning.

To manually program a system make sure you look along the top of the software and click on advanced. Be sure to put a check mark on all options (show conventional, show trunked, show advanced and start full screen). Then you will see all eight tabs across the bottom of the software screen. For example you can go to conventional frequencies tab to program conventional freq's or click trunked radio system tab and click new it the upper right to create a new trunked system by hand. Because Radio Reference depends on us to feed them information maybe the system you are trying to monitor is not up to date (has old frequencies listed) or maybe the system is not even in RR. If your pro-197 will pick up the system then so will the pro-668 you just have to figure out why it's not and correct it or type it all in by hand.

Also make sure you have done all of the updates from the dsp, cpu and pc application as well as the library which I already mentioned so the scanner, library and software are all update to date.

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.