Pro-106: Spray Lube

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

retiredmich

Can I use this spray lube on my RS PRO 106 to spray on top of the volume knob to stop the scratchy noise ? see attached.

Last edited:
Don't you want to clean it, not spray lube that will attract dust and make it worse. Find some DeoxIT Gold, try Amazon or music stores. Expensive so use a little, then work the control end to end.

R

retiredmich

So what I got will not do the trick for the noise, right ? haven't used it yet. I know there has been other post about this, but mine is getting worse & need to do something. Will find some DeoxIT Gold & go from there. Thanks for the info.

kf5bti

They make electrical contact cleaner for noisy controls. Lube may work but I'd spend the few dollars for the correct stuff.

jdeverett

Premium Subscriber
I found this on the Amazon review site regarding DeoxIT. Looks to be a great product group. W2WEG

DeoxIt comes in many different formulations. All are superior, but choose the right one for the best possible results
By JustAnotherEngineer - December 15, 2013
DeoxIT is manfuctured by "Caig" but is often sold under the name of one their distrubutors "Hosa". Whether the product you buy says "Caig DeoxIT" or "Hosa DeoxIT" - it is the same product. "DeoxIT" is a registered tradename and that is what you are looking for. Hopefully that information eliminates some initial confusion.

As an electrical engineer I've used DeoxIT for over 30 years. In fact - it is the only contact cleaner, lubricant, and contact enhancer I trust. From Boeing, Bose, General Electric, Hewlett Pack, etc, etc this product is the gold standard and widely used in manufacturing and within professional circles.

Prior to the internet and companies like Amazon this product was unknown and unavailable outside a few professional circles.

Having said that any consumer should be aware that every DeoxIT product is superior, virtually guaranteed to do NO harm and even if you don't use the optimum formulation of DeoxIT it will still improve a poor connection and protect a new one.

DeoxIT is sold in 4 broad categories.

D series - first and foremost a heavy duty contact cleaner combined with contact enhancer/protection - this is Caig/Hosa's most universal product

S series (aka Shield S series) - for outdoor envirnments particularily benefical in salt or other harsh environments. If the connections are not new - cleaning with a D series is required (per the Caig website)

G Series (aka Gold series) - designed for gold and base metals. It offers minor cleaning properties. For gold contacts it offers near perfect protection and will slightly enhance electrical connections for gold, etc. However its cleaning properties are minimal and since gold does NOT oxidize and usually offers a near perfect connection to begin with this product has limited uses. I'd recommend it for very low voltage circuit boards with gold connectors that experience problems.

F Series (aka Fader F series) - designed for "faders" aka "volume controls" aka "pots" (potentiometers) or other rotorary controls. This is a cleaner/enhancer for volume controls or other rotary controls used on a vast number of products (radios, musical amps, etc, etc, etc) that use carbon based (extremely common) or conductive plastic controls

In the end, I hope this description helps you pick the best formula for your needs but the bottom line is the entire family of Caig/Hosa contact cleaners/enhancers are all first class and even if you pick a less than perfect formulation it will do no harm and will likely still fix your problem. The most universal product, as previously noted, is the D series cleaner/restorer.

You can also call Caig at 800-CAIG-123 for advice
53 of 53 people found this review helpful

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

R

retiredmich

Thanks for all the info on my PRO 106 , I appreciate all the info.

bharvey2

I was going to suggest DeoxIt Faderlube as well. I've used the Caig product line for years and find that they make excellent products.

Many thanks to jdeverett. I didn't know about the HOSA rebranding. I learned something new and it's not even lunchtime. Heck, I should call it a day.

R

retiredmich

This Deoxit cleaner / lube, is there any place to get this product other than ebay / amazon , like a local store of some sort ?

bharvey2

Fry's Electronics carries it. Perhaps other industrial oriented electronics houses might too. I've only found it in retail at Frys. Check out their website (CAIG Laboratories - Home of DeoxIT® and Hand-E-Glove®) and you may find an outlet near you. It will probably benefit you to know that some of the products come in sprays and pen style oilers as well.

KT4HX

Premium Subscriber
The last time I bought any Detoxit D5 locally it was at the Guitar Center in our mall.

CAIG DeoxIT D5S-6 Spray, Contact Cleaner / Rejuvenator, 5 oz. | Guitar Center

The Radio Shack site shows it, but whether your local store has it is the question. I have three RS stores within 10 miles of my house and when I try to use the "Find Your Store" function, none of them show up, though I know they still exist. Seems their website is a bit hosed up presently.

R

retiredmich

Pertaining to Deoxit for scanners. I found a place in Overland Park Ks that carries this product, & I called then to see if they had it in stock & they did. For those of interest the address is ( Guitar Center 6700 w 119th St Overland Park Ks / 913-451-0700 )

KT4HX

Premium Subscriber
Pertaining to Deoxit for scanners. I found a place in Overland Park Ks that carries this product, & I called then to see if they had it in stock & they did. For those of interest the address is ( Guitar Center 6700 w 119th St Overland Park Ks / 913-451-0700 )

There you go, Guitar Center was my local source in Virginia as well.

R

retiredmich

Got some Deoxit to day & used it on my Pro106, BOY !! what a difference in the volume knob, & it was cheep price. Just F Y I !

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
Do not use a lube product as it can attack the plastic parts and leave you with a non functioning radio. Only a tuner/contact cleaner like the one suggested should be used.

R

retiredmich

The place I got the Deoxit in Overland Park Ks, the store manager was also a technician & I asked him if he worked on scanner & he said no, but new some one who does, so that was a plus for me. Now I just have to check this guy out to see how good he is. Just FYI !

garysauctions

Premium Subscriber
Radio Shack used to carry it.

They still do ...... Radioshack - Products

I use all four types D,F,G, and S on new installs and repairs.

Great stuff you cannot go wrong with it. Read the info posted in Post #6.

Most people won't need the "Gold" series "Fader" or "F" is what one needs on rotary controls.

Radio Shack carries "D" and "G".

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.