PRO-668 CPU Firmware and PC Application Updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

trp2525

For those who own the PRO-668 handheld you may have noticed that Whistler recently introduced both CPU firmware and PC application updates for their WS1080 handheld. Right now the latest CPU firmware for the WS1080 is 3.1 while the latest available CPU firmware for the PRO-668 is 2.4. The latest available PC application software (EZ Scan) for the WS1080 is 2.7 Bld 375 while the latest PC application software (I Scan) for the PRO-668 is 2.5 Bld 357.

I contacted Whistler customer support today to see if we could expect any further updates for our PRO-668 scanners to bring them to the same CPU firmware and PC application versions as the WS1080 and here is the response I received:

"Currently all support and updates to the Radio Shack brand scanners is handled by Radio Shack. The support we offer is only for the Whistler brand scanners. Unfortunately, at this time, I do not know if there will be any updates available for the Radio Shack firmware/software."

The release notes for the Whistler WS1080 PC application software versions 2.6 and 2.7 that are not available as of yet for the PRO-668 are as follows:

Version 2.7 - January 3, 2016
Bug Fixes:

Fixed issue when copying configuration or library data to a blank SD card where an error message would be displayed.

Operation:

The installer and updater will replace the desktop shortcut with a new shortcut.
The app will now include all trunked systems in the trunked system map file. This change allows the WS1080 and WS1088 to see all trunked systems for editing. To update your configurations, copy all configurations to your computer and then copy them back to the scanner's SD card. The file will be updated automatically in the process.
Changed the alpha tag for the scanlist reset button to be more descriptive of the actual function.

Version 2.6 - September 8, 2015
Bug Fixes:

Fixed issue where some sub-windows would disappear behind the main window. This then made the application appear to be frozen.
Fixed an issue when copying or moving audio files to your computer when the channel alpha tag has an invalid character in it.
Made code changes to help reduce issues when screen resolutions other than the standard 96dpi setting is used.

Operation:

Changed default attenuation mode to Normal from Global
Changed the default display mode from Simple to Advanced.
The Advanced Features, Conventional Frequencies, and Trunked Radio Systems tabs are now shown by default for new installations.
Added "Reset Alpha Tags" button. This option will reset all scanlist names to their factory default values (i.e. Scanlist 001).
Moved the selection tabs from the bottom to the top of the screen.
Changed the menu items used to save and restore an archive of the current configuration to "Save Current Configuration to Archive" and "Restore Configuration from Archive" respectively.
Some color has been added to the list boxes on all screens.
Column sizes may now be adjusted on some screens. These column sizes are not preserved across programming sessions.

Data Import:

When an import is completed using the preferred method, a selection dialog appears with options to return to the current state, return to the current county, return to the select location screen, or done. The presence of these buttons depends on the selection of a state, selection of a county, and if the Set Location feature is turned on.
Added Icon Legend button to import screens to explain the meaning of the checkbox icons that may appear on the current screen.
Added text on the trunked system selection screen to explain how to select an entire system or limit what sites and talkgroups are to be imported.
Importing a trunked system is now a step by step process following the progression of System->Sites->Talkgroups

trp2525

The PRO-668 CPU Firmware and PC Application versions have still not caught up to the current/latest Whistler WS1080/WS1088 versions.

PRO-668 CPU Firmware current version: 2.4
WS1080/WS1088 CPU Firmware current version: 3.1

PRO-668 PC Application current version: 2.5 Bld 357
WS1080/WS1088 PC Application current version: 2.7 Bld 375

I contacted Radio Shack customer service regarding this issue and here is the response that I received:

"We have been updating/releasing new code for the Pro-668 as needed for both the PC APP and CPU. Our CPU and PC APP are as up to date for the specific model."

DMR on P25P2 Scanners??

So, the PRO-668 isn't as up to date as the Whistler WS1080 yet? AND the BIG Question: it appears that Uniden might have a DMR decoding software/firmware update for their 436/536 models that have P25Type2 decoding- so MIGHT Whistler/Radio Shack / GRE have a software upgrade for the PRO-668 that could decode un-encrypted DMR Mototrbo systems? That would be a real prize-winner in my book!

trp2525

FREE DMR Update for Whistler WS1080, WS1088, WS1095 and WS1098

So, the PRO-668 isn't as up to date as the Whistler WS1080 yet? AND the BIG Question: it appears that Uniden might have a DMR decoding software/firmware update for their 436/536 models that have P25Type2 decoding- so MIGHT Whistler/Radio Shack / GRE have a software upgrade for the PRO-668 that could decode un-encrypted DMR Mototrbo systems? That would be a real prize-winner in my book!

Per Whistler's press release (see attached) dated 05-17-2016:

"...As a further investment in their customers, Whistler will be offering a DMR update at no charge to customers owning models WS1080, WS1088, WS1095, and WS1098. This upgrade will be available via the EZ Scan pc app later this month..."

Whether or not the PRO-668 will be included in this FREE DMR update/upgrade remains to be seen. It will be totally up to Radio Shack if they want to offer it to their PRO-668 owners.

Last edited:

IAmSixNine

Feed Provider
Im not holding my breath. I was excited at first to get my 668 but after seeing how Radio Shack is handling software / firmware updates i lost a lot of hope for it.

DJ11DLN

Im not holding my breath. I was excited at first to get my 668 but after seeing how Radio Shack is handling software / firmware updates i lost a lot of hope for it.
Could not have been said better. I bought my Pro-668 for the sole reason that it was priced ridiculously cheap on closeout. I knew that it would work for my local PS systems, and likely would work when p.2 comes here (if it does, they keep pushing things back), at the time strongly suspecting that it would not get any kind of firmware or DSP support. Since it was current with the PSR-800/WS-1080 at the time of manufacture, that was "good enough" to do the job. This differentiated it from the abandoned and orphaned Pro-18.

I highly doubt that we'll see anything in the way of an update for the 668 to enable other modes, free or otherwise. In fact I am kind of suspecting that when current stock is depleted, scanners will be dropped from the RS inventory. I'm sure Whistler has lost a good bit of revenue over this whole RS bankruptcy/new ownership mess and I can't see them continuing to build scanners to just in effect give away.

Unless things change drastically at RS, any new scanner purchases on my part will be from Whistler or Uniden.

wbswetnam

Whether or not the PRO-668 will be included in this FREE DMR update/upgrade remains to be seen. It will be totally up to Radio Shack if they want to offer it to their PRO-668 owners.

I suggest buying a lottery ticket because I think you'd have a better shot of winning at that than RS issuing a DMR firmware update for the Pro-668.

trp2525

I suggest buying a lottery ticket because I think you'd have a better shot of winning at that than RS issuing a DMR firmware update for the Pro-668.

I agree with you that it's a long shot but strange things sometimes do happen. I never expected the bankrupt Radio Shack to ever issue any CPU firmware updates for their PRO-651/PRO-652 scanners but the version 2.9 CPU firmware update suddenly appeared on the Radio Shack website two months ago (in March 2016).

IAmSixNine

Feed Provider
I agree with you that it's a long shot but strange things sometimes do happen. I never expected the bankrupt Radio Shack to ever issue any CPU firmware updates for their PRO-651/PRO-652 scanners but the version 2.9 CPU firmware update suddenly appeared on the Radio Shack website two months ago (in March 2016).

Thank You trp2525 for emailing Radio Shack and letting them know that people with their scanners are still paying attention to the whistler updates and hoping we are not forgotten.

Who knows, maybe if enough of us email them asking for the DMR update we will at least get that.

Can we pay Whistler to help RS owners?

That's a great idea to write Radio Shack, but let's write to Whistler too and ask them to be our 'white knight' and offer us firmware and software upgrades. I'm willing to be we'd even give them $25 for a DMR and firmware update. I'll "pay to play" with the PRO668 if that's what it takes to get it updated. And if they could get rid of that stupid ticking time bomb audio that is some sort of battery saver- it's horrible.

I hope dangling a dollar on a fishing line might get Whistler to bite as a one-time upgrade then they can push the Whistler scanners on us. I don't see any Whistler scanners at the Sprint/Radio Shack stores, only the PRO651s

IAmSixNine

Feed Provider
Id even pay Whistler to upgrade my 668 to a whistler 1080 model. LOL
You have to think they are the same hardware but require different software since it was sold under the RS label.
While i dont technically regret buying my 668 as i only paid 200 for it i do wish i had added a hundred or so and gotten the 1080. Live and learn.

EDIT: If someone can provide a link or email address to both RS and Whistler i would email RS asking them to keep supporting the 668 and add DMR and ill email Whistler asking them to allow us to add DMR if RS fails to do so.

emails sent to both companies- please make sure everyone bugs Radio Shack about giving us support for our existing PRO-668 to match the updates for the WS-1080- or if RS can CONTRACT with Whistler to be their software supplier, that would be great. The RS link above goes directly to the form, but the Whistler Group link you have to go to link on that page to the 'contact us' to get their email and cut and paste.

IAmSixNine

Feed Provider
Received a reply this morning.

Hello,

Thank you for contacting RadioShack. Unfortunately, we no longer offer any type of technical, or product support from this office. However, I have forwarded your request to our Products Development department for further assistance with this matter. You may also contact our scanner support line at 1-800-722-6637.

As soon as I receive information on this product, I will forward that to you.

Sincerely,

Sarah

Sarah Solomon
eCommerce Customer Service Rep.
General Wireless Operations Inc. d/b/a RadioShack
300 RadioShack Circle
Fort Worth, TX 76102-1964
O > 800.843.7422
radioshack.com

ngel

FYI!! See e-mail thread below.

Thank you for contacting us today in regards to your PRO 668 scanner radio. After talking with the Product Development team, the manufacturer should be providing updates including the D.M.R. via RadioShack.com or through the scanners software when it becomes available. Also there is a vast amount of information over at the radioreference web site about the PRO-668 and other scanners. If you need any further assistance please contact us again.

Sincerely
Ed

cid:image001.png@01CE87C8.A8D7D890
Ed Kelerchian
e-commerce
300 RadioShack Circle
O > 800-843-7422
radioshack.com

May 20, 7:12 AM

About a year ago I purchased a pro-668 scanner from you company. This pro-668 is supposed to have support through the computer application for updates to the CPU and DSP.

This radio is basically a clone to the whistler scanner 1080. The pro-668 has not kept up with the update that whistler provides and is behind on updates.

Please either release updates for this scanner or allow the support to be contracted by whistler. They have just announced some really great updates to the capability of the clone 1080 that would be great to have on the pro-668.

Thank-you

IAmSixNine

Feed Provider
LOL i just got another response to my inquiry from RS.

Hello,

I have just received the following information regarding your software inquiry.

“Our version came out after the equivalent Whistler models so the updates that were needed by Whistler were already incorporated into ours at launch.”

Thank you again for taking the time to email us. If there is anything else you need please contact our Customer Service team by calling 1-800-843-7422 so they can look up your purchase. Agents are available Monday-Friday, 8am-5pm, CST.

Sincerely,

Sarah

Sarah Solomon
eCommerce Customer Service Rep.
300 RadioShack Circle
O > 800.843.7422
radioshack.com

Sounds like Sarah and Ed are on different pages. Ill give them credit though. They are being responsive. So thats a plus.

Status
Not open for further replies.