rechareable batteries

Status
Not open for further replies.

ratboy

Premium Subscriber
In NY? Just about anywhere cameras and electronics are sold. Grocery stores have them here.

robo21

I get mine from amazon. Eneloop and eneloop Pro's .

I agree! Don't skimp, you get what you pay for. Eneloop and Eneloop Pro's are the way to go. And buy enough that you can use the external charger.

The external charger will do 2 things for you: First it will charge the batteries faster than the charging circuit in the scanner. Secondly, it will keep the heat created in charging the batteries out of your radio. Heat is one of the big enemies of electronics.

Costco has a great deal on Eneloop batteries. You get 8 AA's, 4 AAA's, a nice charger, some C and D cell adapters and a carrying case for under $30. And every now and then they will put this kit on sale for as low as $21.99. Even at $30 it's a steal.

N7JGN

Premium Subscriber
Powerex 2700.. Absolutely the best.. longest life in your scanner.. just my 3 cents.. :)
Doug

Circa

The Duracell Ion Cores are amazing and relatively cheap. Walmart sells them.
The external charger is a must for rechargeable batteries.

Sent using Tapatalk.

TXscannernut

Newbie here.
I'm using enercell rechargeable's in my Pro-106. I keep the scanner plugged in to listen, every time I disconnect and go in the back yard ,it dies within minutes. I'm guessing keeping it plug in, is not charging the batteries?
I'm going to Costco's and buy a charger and batteries. Thanks,
John

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Newbie here.
I'm using enercell rechargeable's in my Pro-106. I keep the scanner plugged in to listen, every time I disconnect and go in the back yard ,it dies within minutes. I'm guessing keeping it plug in, is not charging the batteries?
I'm going to Costco's and buy a charger and batteries. Thanks,
John
Your enercells are probably cashed if you've been leaving them in your pro-106. I wouldn't do that with your next set. As others have said, Eneloops and Powerex cells rock! ;). 73, n9zas

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
If you keep the charger plugged in all the time the batteries develop a memory and expect to be charged that often thereby won't last long.

I use two sets of Eneloops and when I am done with the scanner for the day I leave it on so they run down all the way, then install the other fully charged set the next morning from the external charger and place the batteries that ran down in the scanner into the charger. They last 11 - 12 hours when new. My current set are a couple years old and they last about 9 - 10 hours now of constant use.

Last edited:

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
Do you ever use the charger that came with your scanner Or do you just use an ext. charger for your batteries?
I use a La Crosse BC700 Charger, I never ever charge batteries in a scanner.

The charger analyses the batteries and switches to trickle charge when they are fully charged, a scanner can not do this, it just charges for a set time. The charger can also detect a bad cell and will not charge it, where the scanner will keep charging it and it may leak or catch fire ruining your expensive scanner.

Last edited:

JD21960

Premium Subscriber
batteries?

One STORE option not mentioned.... I got my PowerEX 2700 at the Battery & Bulbs store in our local strip mall. I've seen these places everywhere. Batteries galore of all kinds. I've had these PowerEX batteries since Oct 2014 for my WS1080. I finally now just had to replace them. What a savings$ these last much longer than the RShack batteries I have as backup.

Last edited by a moderator:

N1BHH

You should never leave batteries in the radio while plugged in, battery life will drop significantly in a short period of time.. Run the radio on batteries, that's what the radio was designed for, when they go dead, charge them externally in a good quality charger. Get yourself a couple extra sets of batteries and change them as needed. I have been using Duracell rechargeables lately and they work quite well. I charge them in a MAHA MH-C801D on the soft charge and they take about 3 hours to fully charge. I don't need to fast charge them because I have several sets.

N7JGN

Premium Subscriber
I have tried them all.. Duracell 2500's are the Best Rechargeable in my opinion.. I have only tried them though in the BCD436HP.. YMMV.. :)
Doug

TXscannernut

Thanks for all the great info. I took the batteries out and discarded them. Operating pro-106 with no batteries, just plugged in till I get to the store. Thanks
John

Status
Not open for further replies.