Radio shack pro 2035

Status
Not open for further replies.

boogie1

I got this scanner for free. I have never had a scanner before, so I am a super newbie!

1st- is this scanner even worth messing with or is it outdated.

2nd- Will I be able to listen to police fire ems or do these frequencies require newer technology.

I live in Baytown Texas 77521 if that helps.

I would appreciate any help if you would be interested in mentoring me thru the process of getting up and running PM me.

Thanks again for any help!
312bfcecffca0b2be2f7a17186990a66.jpg

Citywide173

Premium Subscriber
It appears that Baytown is on the TxWARN digital trunked system, so this radio will not be good for monitoring police, however it says that fire still simulcasts on 154.250 so you may be able to hear them.

Harris County, Texas (TX) Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference

There are still many uses for this radio

Pro-2035 Pro-2042 - The RadioReference Wiki

Aircraft, Military Air, HAM radio, commercial listening, Weather broadcasts, Marine monitoring, etc.

If you're adventurous, you could also add a discriminator tap and interface it with a computer to listen to digital broadcasts including TxWARN, but will be limited with only one radio on a trunked system.

Discriminator Output PRO-2042

Discriminator output - The RadioReference Wiki

fredva

Feed Provider
The discriminator tap modification mentioned above, along with hooking the scanner to a PC running the free DSD software, can turn your free analog scanner into a digital scanner (although with limitations). Discriminator Output PRO-2042 You might be able to make the necessary connections without soldering or drilling a hole in the back of your scanner at first to test it out. It depends on whether you can twist the additional resistor and TP2 together or not. You would need a second wire to ground the jack if it is not installed on metal.

You can buy a 3.5 mm mono jack on ebay for less than $2, including shipping.

You would need a cable with 3.5 male ends to connect the jack to the line in jack of the PC.

Digital scanners typically cost $200 or more used.

Last edited:

boogie1

Thanks for the info. So as fun as all the discriminator output alteration sounds, the fact that it would still be limited makes me more inclined not to mess with it.

I think I would be more interested in getting a very good used scanner that is designed to pick up TXWARN

twjr80

Feed Provider
I bought the 2035 brand new back in 1995. Still use it to this day. I mainly use it for areas that haven't switched to digital but also monitor air traffic from 5 local airports.

boogie1

I have an local airport very near my house. It probably less than 3 miles. How would I find the frequencies that they would use? It might be cool to here that.

dmack550

Premium Subscriber
I had that scanner at one time. Excellent scanner!! But it will not pick up some of the newer systems and if I remember correctly it doesn't trunk either. I can remember it could pick up cell calls and cordless phones because of its extensive band coverage too. Of course cell phones and cordless phones are totally different now so that's no longer possible but in its time it was one of the best scanners on the market. Those were the days!!!

boogie1

Well picked up the airport and end/fire today.

Along with a chemical plant two way radio.

Pretty cool. Wonder if I had a higher antenna how much difference it would make.

I have an antenna that came off of my boat that went to a VHF radio would that work if I bought the right kin and length of cable?

Citywide173

Premium Subscriber
Anything higher and outside is better than nothing. VHF reception will be good, low band/UHF should be acceptable. RG 58 or 59 for short runs, RG 8/LMR400 for long runs on the coax.

Status
Not open for further replies.