Pro-668: External Speakers

Status
Not open for further replies.

shajen

I have just purchased the Radio Shack Pro-668. I would like to purchase a compatible set of external speakers for this scanner. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

DickH

I have just purchased the Radio Shack Pro-668. I would like to purchase a compatible set of external speakers for this scanner. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

You don't use "sets" of speakers with scanners. The audio is mono, not stereo.
Used 2-way radio speakers (Motorola, GE, Johnson) work very well with scanners. They are designed specifically for that range of audio.

IAmSixNine

Feed Provider
It may also help to get a speaker with some amplification in it as the scanner has a headphone jack on it, which does not provide very much power.
Any BT speaker with a line in would work well.

DJ11DLN

Computer speakers work well. If you get an un-amplified speaker you will not be impressed, the 668 does not output sufficient wattage through the headphone jack to drive a speaker. Computer speakers have an amp built in and are cheap new, cheaper at thrift stores, yard sales, etc and sometimes free from your or a friend's junque box. Don't worry about the stereo jack...though the 668 audio is mono, it has a stereo jack because mono gear is so rare these days. Bluetooth speakers are also said to work well, I haven't experimented with any yet but others I am sure will chime in.

There are also dedicated amplifed scanner speakers, just do a search. I use the computer type for a 668 and am very happy with the results.

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin

Other commenters are correct, you will need an amplified speaker; as noted, computer speakers are cheap, easy and work just fine.

However, the "gold standard" would be a Motorola amplified speaker. It's designed specifically for two-way radio communications and rugged as can be.

They usually pop up on eBay fairly regularly, and if you're lucky you can find one which has already been modified with a 1/8" connector to plug right into the scanner.

If you find one which hasn't been modified, all the info you need to do it (from simple to cleaner but more complicated) is at this page:

http://www.mmccs.com/mmarc/n0ss/index_general.htm

melissajo

Premium Subscriber
i plugged in computer and bluetooth speakers and got pure static. when i unplugged them i got pure static on the handheld...what could be wrong???

Status
Not open for further replies.