Pro-668: Pro-668 SD Card

Status
Not open for further replies.

shajen

This is my first scanner with a SD card. My question concerns the removal of the SD card. If I remove the SD card and load it into my computer, are there any warnings or dangers that I should be aware of? After I open up the SD card, can I copy the database to My Documents? I just want to be cautious this first time.

marksmith

Treat it like any external drive, and once you are done, remove it correctly.

I suggest creating a folder on your pc, and periodically copying all of the SD card contents to that folder.

Eventually, your SD card will fail. They all do sooner or later. They are only built for so many read/write actions. This makes an easy backup to get your radio back running.

You might want to also get a bigger card if you are going to do any recording. I recommend never using anything worse than a class 10 card.

I would also recommend downloading a free copy of SDFORMATTER from the website of the same name. It does a better job of formatting new cards for use than Windows.

Mark
WS1095/536/436/996P2/HP1e/HP2e/996XT/325P2/396XT/PRO668/PSR800/PRO652

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
It does a better job of formatting new cards for use than Windows.

Mark

How so? In what way is it better than using Window's own formatting process? It's always worked fine for me, with any system, any version of Windows, and any media. Most of these other format utilities are just fluffy front end menus, using the Windows formating process, nothing different.

Ed6698

I have never used anything except Windows to format a sd card or any media. I don't see how it can be better by using SD formatter.

marksmith

I read the link. I don't need SD formatter as I have never had issues with formatting SD cards with Windows ever.
Congratulations. Not everyone has been as successful as you.

I have had issues with class 10 sandisk cards formatted in Windows that have worked fine since reformatted with SD Formatter.

If you don't need it fine, but I like to mention it to anyone using SD cards for the first time.

Mark

kmurphy41

Premium Subscriber
Not to get off subject but what's the maximum SD card size that the pro-668 will accept

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

DJ11DLN

I read the link. I don't need SD formatter as I have never had issues with formatting SD cards with Windows ever.
Many of us here have resorted to SD Formatter because we've had even new cards that refused to function. No, not every card, in fact probably a small minority of them, but these things aren't handed out for free and so we try very hard to get a dead one to function before discarding it. We tried preparing them with the EZScan/iScan software and then with the Windows utility, to no avail. SDFormatter got the majority of these cards working; it is thus recommended by those who've already traveled this road to save others the headache and hassles.

If you never have to deal with a stubborn SD card, fine, bless your luck and carry on. But please don't get argumentative with people here who are only trying to give you good advice.

bharvey2

I'll second the SDFormatter software. Although I haven't had trouble with my PRO668 and cards, I've had other devices that get finicky with the way the cards are formatted. Further, the advice about copying the contents of your SD card to you computer periodically is sound. Card failure is a "when" not an "if".

Ed6698

If you never have to deal with a stubborn SD card, fine, bless your luck and carry on. But please don't get argumentative with people here who are only trying to give you good advice.

I apologize if what I said seemed argumentative, as it was not meant to be. Guess I have been lucky, been using SD cards since about when they came out. Usually if a card goes/is bad, its bad or it will be unstable at any time. IMO if I had any sd or any media that would not format properly with Windows, it would not be used.

D

darunimal

Some people have used a Mac to reinitialize a card not recognized by a Windows Machine, now if this is true, who has a MAC and can they try to access my 2 spent cards from other devices.

marksmith

I apologize if what I said seemed argumentative, as it was not meant to be. Guess I have been lucky, been using SD cards since about when they came out. Usually if a card goes/is bad, its bad or it will be unstable at any time. IMO if I had any sd or any media that would not format properly with Windows, it would not be used.
It can be the card that's unstable, or the formatting of the card that causes it to be unstable in the device it is used in.

I don't just throw them away. I know they all go bad eventually but if I have a fairly new one with only nominal read/writes on it, I go to SDFORMATTER. Almost all have been fine after that.

In some cases the first time I have used an SD class 10 card it messes up, so those get the treatment from the start.

Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.