Monitoring the Missouri Statewide Interoperable Network (MOSWIN) VHF trunking system

Status
Not open for further replies.

kb0nhx

Is anyone on the list using a pro-652 scanner to monitor MOSWIN? Mine works fine on the new 700 site in Springfield, but I cannot get it to follow or even recognize any close VHF sites, like Hurley or Fair Grove.

I wonder if there is a setting I'm missing on the VHF sites? I did check the scanner with a service monitor and know that the receive sensitivity is a little better than 700 MHz and my antenna system is fine as well.

I am using Scancat Lite to program the scanner, and have it set as a Motorola P25 digital system, which works on the 700 site. Wondering what else I might check in the settings.

wb0wao

Can't give you any specifics on that scanner, But try this and see if this helps.....

1) Find the control channel(s) for the site(s) you want to monitor.
2) Check to see if you have a good signal for the control channels and can actually hear them.
3) If you can, create a new "system" for each site and only enter the control channel.

My WS1098 that uses the same OOP scheme didn't like it when I had a 700MHz and a VHF site in the same system. I had to create a separate system for each site and that fixed the issue. No guarantees, but give it a shot.

wb0wao

No P2 here in SEMO - not sure about where he is at. My BCD996P2 handles the mixed 700/VHF sites well, but the WS1098 doesn't for some reason. I have heard that is an issue with them.

kb0nhx

MoSWIN Monitoring

Honestly, I'm not that familiar with the Radio Shack scanner programming yet, I have always used the BCD996T and XT models and never had this issue.

I will investigate the separate system issue. Even though I have them in separate banks, it still seems to want to scan the Springfield 700 MHz frequencies when I hit manual and try to scroll through them.

It also seems the squelch is quite touchy, which was always my beef with the GRE/ Radio Shack scanners. Seemed like the squelch was really tight, even when turned down low.

We are still Phase I in Missouri, they are talking about Phase II, but it is still a couple years out.

kb0nhx

MoSwin monitoring

I have been considering going to a Uniden BCD536HP or a Whistler TRX-2 with the recent announcement of the DMR capabilities - was leaning toward the TRX2 due to the promise of future NXDN decoding with a free upgrade, but not sure if the Whistler scanners act like the GRE / Radio Shack ones, that might be a deterrent.

Several agencies on DMR in the area, and most of Jasper County is a VHF NXDN trunked system.

A decision for another day . . .

wb0wao

AFAIK the system is P2 capable, but there are no subscriber radios using P2 (at least in this area). I think P2 is used up at a couple sites in the St. Louis area due to the user load up there. I am assuming that if the load on a site gets to the point that new channels would be needed, then they would flip the switch to change over to P2.

Status
Not open for further replies.