radio shack pro 668

Status
Not open for further replies.

RadioFlyer77

Premium Subscriber
I was wondering if someone could help me out? This scanner says it can listen to the cb frequencies but when I turn it to cb search I don't hear anything. Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks

marksmith

Probably need to turn off the squelch or turn it way down.

Unless you are in an area where there are regular communications on CB, you won't hear much. You will get long range skip at night.

Also, the best antenna for 27mz is a whole lot longer than you would put on a portable scanner, so it's not the best radio or antenna for CB listening.

Mark
WS1095/536/436/996P2/HP1e/HP2e/996XT/325P2/396XT/PRO668/PSR800/PRO652

RadioFlyer77

Premium Subscriber
pro 668

Hey thanks for the reply. Now that you mention it, I did her some skip the other night on channel 5. I thought i would hear more on 19 since i live close to the highway, but i just hear static with the squelch turned all the way down. And you are right, the antenna is the problem. Thanks for the response.

JD21960

Premium Subscriber
I am in Chicago near 3 big Tollways and drive on them all the time. There is still traffic out there but it's short-lived as they're out of range in no time. Another thing. Unless you know Spanish? you're not going to hear a lot. Seems like that's all I hear on those frequencies lately.

rwier

I am 1/4 mile from I-17 (North Phoenix). Handheld scanners with OEM antennas are basically silent indoors. With my roof antenna I get good coverage up to 1 mile away (not bragging, lol). In my vehicle (carport), with a CB radio, and a SWR tuned 1.000 (bragging) car roof antenna, I have solid coverage to about 8 miles (about 15 miles of freeway covered). Haven't listened for years though, not the same as back in the day.

RadioFlyer77

Premium Subscriber
Thank you all for your responses. Will experiment with a cb antenna and see what it does.

DJ11DLN

Thank you all for your responses. Will experiment with a cb antenna and see what it does.
If there is activity in your area, that will get you some results. The OEM antenna is heavily biased towards VHF-Hi thru 900 MHz, it does not do anything well. It is quite deaf around 27 MHz. Note that you can only receive AM mode, not SSB. Best of luck.:wink:

marksmith

When I am mobile, I do have a CB favorites list included in the mix on HP2 while on trips. Using a rooftop antenna that is geared for 800 mz and about 2 inches tall, I can hear CB basically as far as I can see down the highway. Since that's about the range I would expect, the only traffic I occasionally hear is of interest in most cases, and I can usually lay eyes on the transmitter.

Sent from my LG-V410 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.