RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Scanners, Receivers and Related Equipment Forums > Radio Shack Scanners

Radio Shack Scanners - A forum for the discussion of all Radio Shack scanning radios and receivers.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Yesterday, 9:40 AM
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wackyracer View Post
3/23/2017

The latest instruction to install firmware ver 4.5 or 4.6 Read these, then source everything needed and install all software and drivers for the version of firmware you're installing. THEN RE-READ these instructions a second and/or third time BEFORE you attempt to install the firmware as most issues are caused by people NOT following these instructions step by step. DO not skip over a step, as they should be done in order.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have trouble when asking for help list what Operating system your using, if your scanner is on Radio Shack firmware or Whistler and whether or not you tried a new usb cable.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please note that this is a work in progress and with each firmware update the procedure and tools used can change.

The current procedure to change firmware....

The following assumes you already have installed either the pro-668/psr-800/pro-18 drivers and HAVE THEM WORKING. You can check by trying to set the clock via iscan. If you can't set the clock then the driver is either not installed or corrupt. YOU cannot proceed to do the upgrade until this is fixed. To fix it uninstall and delete then reinstall the comport driver.

NEXT: You MUST have sourced the following: firmware ws1080 ver 4.5 (ask someone to send it to you), The GREFWTOOL ver 0.2.0.3 (google GREFWtool) downloaded and installed. The latest version of ezscan software for the WS1080 (FREE from whistler via whistlergroup.com) on your computer and you have archived your data and have the ws1080 driver.

If you want to update to firmware version 4.6, you must FIRST source (do not download via grefwtool or ezscan) firmware WS1080e_U4.6 bin with a file size of (368340 bytes). DO NOT use the file that is (524292 bytes) as it will not install. Both files have the same name so pay attention to the size of the file.

For windows 7 and above you MUST get GREFWtool 0.3.0.4. (google it),

For windows xp you MUST USE Grefwtool ver Version 0.3.1.5 When the tool installs you can rename it to GREFWTOOL Ver 3 otherwise you must delete the earlier version making more work if you want fall back to firmware ver 4,5 . By renaming, both tools will be on your computer.

1) Start the appropriate GREFwTool for your firmware version.

2) Take the batteries out of your scanner and unplug it.

3) Press and hold the Menu button while inserting the USB cable (one end already plugged into the computer).

4) Once plugged in, let go of the Menu button. Wait for the beep from your computer. It could take 60 seconds.

5) In GREFwTool go to Settings and press Rescan. The COM port should be filled in.

5a) Also under settings: For Scanner Type use the pull down to select the scanner you are using (i.e. Pro-668).

5b) For Firmware use the pull down to select what you want the scanner to become (WS1080)

DO NOT Download the most current firmware via the tool as it won’t install.

6) Select the Connect To Scanner icon

7) Select the Update Firmware in Scanner icon in GREFwtool. Then locate and Select firmware version you want. It will install and you should see a percentage of completion bar. The scanner will shut down when done.

8) Install the ws1080 driver.

9) Go into EZScan (not iScan) do the DSP Update, library updates and/or restore from archive or transfer database if needed. via the cable or card reader

10) Turn your scanner on, if it shows the Whistler logo, loads fine and works, put the batteries in and enjoy the fruit of Eric's and others work!!!
Hello,

A couple of clarifications.

I would recommend Version 0.3.1.5 as the release to get. If the user has Version 0.3.0.4 already on Windows 7, or later, then no upgrade to 0.3.1.5 is needed at this time.

Versions 0.3.0.4 and 0.3.1.5 will handle earlier versions of firmware, so going back to earlier versions of the tool for earlier versions of firmware is not necessary.

73 Eric
Sponsored links
Old Yesterday, 1:09 PM
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin

Last edited by mancow; Yesterday at 1:14 PM..
Old Yesterday, 1:39 PM
Wiki Admin Emeritus
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Just a reminder - you won't have to Google anything if you use the wiki version of these instructions, which I will update (again...sigh) tonight. All the relevant links are supplied (always in blue), including the one for the GREFWtool, the link to Whistler's WS1080 version of EZ Scan, AND the WS1080 driver...

Loading WS1080 Firmware to a PRO-668 - The RadioReference Wiki

Mike

Last edited by ka3jjz; Yesterday at 1:43 PM..
Old Yesterday, 4:24 PM

Smile also loading firmware

You do not have to remove the batteries to load the firmware with the GRE tool. Turn off the PRO 668 with the USB cable unplugged. Power off the scanner. When it is off press and hold the menu button. While continuing to hold the Menu button then press the power. This will also put the scanner in to the CPU update mode then plug the USB cable in the Scanner. Wait for the computer to recognize the scanner when that is completed then you can follow the GRE tool instruction to load the firmware. I have done this without any problems.
Old Yesterday, 4:38 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamradiostuffing View Post
You do not have to remove the batteries to load the firmware with the GRE tool. Turn off the PRO 668 with the USB cable unplugged. Power off the scanner. When it is off press and hold the menu button. While continuing to hold the Menu button then press the power. This will also put the scanner in to the CPU update mode then plug the USB cable in the Scanner. Wait for the computer to recognize the scanner when that is completed then you can follow the GRE tool instruction to load the firmware. I have done this without any problems.
You're correct!... you don't have to pull the batteries, but if the process freezes...no buttons will work and YOU WILL HAVE TO PULL THE BATTERIES and remove the usb cable to power it down and start over. SO I recommend you start with the batteries removed.
Sponsored links
Old Yesterday, 5:51 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Noticed this time that after update the scanner wouldn't show up for nothing on my computer even when the card was put into a card reader.

Had to download 1080 driver and then had problems getting it to install. Finally had to reboot computer and then all was right with the world.

4.6 works great and computer once again recognizes the SD card so all set here.

This is just in case anyone else had similar problems.
Old Yesterday, 9:44 PM
Wiki Admin Emeritus
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

OK Wacky and Eric - I've updated the wiki in the 'Preparations' section with the new details. Please take a look - the link is in message 943 of this thread - and see if I've screwed something up (quite possible)

Mike
Old Yesterday, 10:41 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by ka3jjz View Post
OK Wacky and Eric - I've updated the wiki in the 'Preparations' section with the new details. Please take a look - the link is in message 943 of this thread - and see if I've screwed something up (quite possible)

Mike
In your Wiki make the following corrections:

Step 2 is wrong. You current do not want to download the firmware via the tool or exscan as it won't work.

Step 3.2 your confusing the grefwtool with firmware file sizes.

The 4.6 firmware link will expire in a couple days so it will have to be sourced by asking someone for it or the new link to it.

Why not copy and paste what I wrote? It would make the instruction available all the same as I wrote 2 of the 3 available online.It would make troubleshooting easier. The ones I wrote today have more info then what you posted.as I was trying to eliminate many questions and problems that keep getting repeated. Like people skipping steps, not having drivers working BEFORE they even start, wrong setting, wrong firmware etc.

Last edited by Wackyracer; Yesterday at 11:04 PM..