RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Scanners, Receivers and Related Equipment Forums > Radio Shack Scanners

Radio Shack Scanners - A forum for the discussion of all Radio Shack scanning radios and receivers.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-19-2017, 11:02 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Ok...beating my head against the wall. I have a Pro-668 and successfully installed Whistler v4.5. A couple days later, I uninstalled GrefTool v0.2.0.3 and installed v0.3.1.5 so I could update the scanner to v4.6. I checked all the files to make sure I have the correct versions.

I connect to the scanner using GrefTool 0.3.1.5. Under the "Settings" tool I select the Pro-668 as the scanner, WS-1080 as firmware and my correct Com Port the scanner is attached to. I can successfully connect to & send my computer time to the scanner. But when I go to upgrade the firmware, the "Update Firmware" button never goes live and I can't select it - either the icon nor from the pull-down menu.

??????????????
Old 05-19-2017, 11:18 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Try uninstalling the comport driver, reboot , then reinstall.
Old 05-19-2017, 12:25 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Tried that...no help. Uninstalled GrefTool, re-downloaded it, installed - and no help. See attachments...
Attached Images

Old 05-19-2017, 12:40 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

NEVER MIND! Stupid me can't follow the easy directions so graciously supplied by everyone here. I ended up starting over from the beginning (remove batteries, hold the menu button while plugging the scanner into the USB port). Was able to then load v4.6 with no trouble.

Pay no attention to the stupid clown here....
Old 05-19-2017, 1:02 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbix1958 View Post
NEVER MIND! Stupid me can't follow the easy directions so graciously supplied by everyone here. I ended up starting over from the beginning (remove batteries, hold the menu button while plugging the scanner into the USB port). Was able to then load v4.6 with no trouble.

Pay no attention to the stupid clown here....
Almost always operator error....We are only human!
Sponsored links
Old 05-19-2017, 1:21 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

HA HA HA.. you puny humans.
Oh wait. I are one to..
Old 05-20-2017, 10:34 AM
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

ello,

The legacy scanner upgrade is surprising news from Whistler and I am planning on taking advantage of it. Why? Because it will make it easier to do upgrades without having to figure out patches and updating my program. So expect no further updates to GREFwTool when the next version of firmware comes out. I rather people go with the official offer and get a clean upgrade.

The PSR-800, Pro-18, Pro-668, and WS-1080 all have the same flash size, so no hardware changes are needed. I suspect the upgrade is replacing the bootloader in the scanner, so WS-1080 firmware can be loaded directly. There could also be firmware changes to handle the slight differences in hardware between the scanner models.

73 Eric
Old 05-20-2017, 10:49 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricCottrell View Post
ello,

The legacy scanner upgrade is surprising news from Whistler and I am planning on taking advantage of it. Why? Because it will make it easier to do upgrades without having to figure out patches and updating my program. So expect no further updates to GREFwTool when the next version of firmware comes out. I rather people go with the official offer and get a clean upgrade.

The PSR-800, Pro-18, Pro-668, and WS-1080 all have the same flash size, so no hardware changes are needed. I suspect the upgrade is replacing the bootloader in the scanner, so WS-1080 firmware can be loaded directly. There could also be firmware changes to handle the slight differences in hardware between the scanner models.

73 Eric
Thank you sir for all your hard work.Glad you chimed in here with your thoughts on this upgrade.

Sent from my SM-S907VL using Tapatalk
Old 05-20-2017, 10:52 AM

Any thoughts as to whether the scanner needs to be returned to its original RS version before its sent in?
Sponsored links
Old 05-20-2017, 12:33 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by scansalot52 View Post
Any thoughts as to whether the scanner needs to be returned to its original RS version before its sent in?
Probably not. The mod is right out in the open and I'm sure that they've analyzed it thoroughly. And I would think that there would have been a disclaimer in the announcement if that was necessary. On the other hand, it won't hurt anything if you want to roll it back. But I'd wait until the program becomes available as there may be instructions on the website when that happens.
Old 05-20-2017, 12:53 PM

Why not update EZ scan so it can remotely update the bootloader as part of the fee upgrade cycle? Then the radio doesn't have to be flashed in-house...
Old 05-20-2017, 1:17 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Then they would not have control over getting paid. Thanks Eric for your work as stated before this offer from Whistler is what I ask for before and I also am all in with a PRO-18 and PRO-668 for the factor upgrade.
Old 05-20-2017, 2:56 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddrousa View Post
Then they would not have control over getting paid. Thanks Eric for your work as stated before this offer from Whistler is what I ask for before and I also am all in with a PRO-18 and PRO-668 for the factor upgrade.
It always boils down to money. They wanna serve customers but they wouldn't do it if this weren't going to make them some money. This is a cash cow for Whistler as I'm guessing it wasn't difficult or time consuming to develop on their end. Either way, thank you, Eric, for all of your hard work.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk
Old 05-20-2017, 3:30 PM
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by milcom_chaser View Post
Why not update EZ scan so it can remotely update the bootloader as part of the fee upgrade cycle? Then the radio doesn't have to be flashed in-house...
Hello,

Because there is no facility in the scanner to update the bootloader. It is dangerous as any problems result in a bricked scanner. They likely use an external flash programmer and hook it up to the board. They may just replace the digital board with an already updated one.

73 Eric

Last edited by EricCottrell; 05-20-2017 at 3:44 PM..
Old 05-20-2017, 4:36 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
ello,

73 Eric
Thank you for all your hard work but its disappointing that you won't continue your project. I have been very happy with the upgrade you made possible and the scanner works wonderfully.

That is your choice though but I am not going to pay a bunch of money to get what I already have and which is working so well.

You did a great service and I'll live with where its at now I guess unless someone else picks up the torch.

Again thank you for what you have done.
Sponsored links
Old 05-21-2017, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Hello,

Because there is no facility in the scanner to update the bootloader. It is dangerous as any problems result in a bricked scanner. They likely use an external flash programmer and hook it up to the board. They may just replace the digital board with an already updated one.

73 Eric

Ok got it. Having not taken the radio apart, I have not seen the IC & CPU locations. That would be interesting if you could get an updated digital board to include the newer micro controller (512k Flash). This is all speculation. I guess if you upgrade Eric, you'll be able to see what's there.
Old 05-21-2017, 6:00 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinnyb82 View Post
It always boils down to money. They wanna serve customers but they wouldn't do it if this weren't going to make them some money. This is a cash cow for Whistler as I'm guessing it wasn't difficult or time consuming to develop on their end. Either way, thank you, Eric, for all of your hard work.

As has been stated before, they were under no obligation. They could have walked away from these scanners with no legal consequences whatsoever (customer loyalty is something else...). And there probably were issues of copyright or patent that evidently were resolved with RS going down the tubes. Even the ones Whistler built weren't legally Whistler scanners, they were RS scanners. Now that it's been resolved, for $60 your scanner gets updated in a legitimate manner and will have future support as an actual WS-1080. If you have a 668, you get DMR, if you have an 18, you get that pluse P25 p.2. Plus a lot of other goodies that it lacked.

Uniden wants that much just to make their scanners decode DMR or ProVoice. I think it's a heck of a good deal, and I will be taking advantage of it. But if you prefer to continue with Eric's fix or factory FW, with no future updates or other support either way, that's your choice and your business. Nobody will make you spend a dime if you don't want to.
Old 05-21-2017, 6:24 PM

I also would like to thank Eric for his work on putting this firmware together, even though I did not take advantage of his hard work. When Whistler made this announcement that they would update my Pro-688 for the mere sum of $59.99 plus shipping I decided that I will not only take advantage of this upgrade but will likely purchase my next scanner from them because of this program.
Old 05-21-2017, 6:50 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ11DLN View Post
Uniden wants that much just to make their scanners decode DMR or ProVoice. I think it's a heck of a good deal, and I will be taking advantage of it. But if you prefer to continue with Eric's fix or factory FW, with no future updates or other support either way, that's your choice and your business. Nobody will make you spend a dime if you don't want to.
I never stated that I wasn't taking advantage of this offer (actually said that I fully intend on doing so in a previous post) and I'm well aware of how the market works. As previously stated, they make a little profit (or at least break even) and they build a strong customer base as Uniden is their only real competitor and it takes one small thing like this to send customers over to their side rather than Uniden's. It's already working its magic. I'm happy with Eric's work, more than happy with it. But I also plan on taking advantage of this offer and I fully intend on purchasing a Whistler branded scanner when the time comes.

Old 05-21-2017, 8:48 PM

Default thanks

Quote:
ello,

73 Eric
Hi Eric,

It will depend on what the upgrades that become available which will it worth my while or not it to send my PRO 668 in to get the upgrade. I am already running 4.6 and receiving DMR Amateur repeaters already. If they added DSTAR and Yeasu Fusion that I might consider it. Assuming there is enough flash memory to support it. I do appreciate the GRE tool you wrote and the time you spend on it.

I will however encourage my friends who have PSR800's and PRO668's to send them in to Whistler because I want to support their Generosity.

I hope your Mom is doing better I lost my mother in February this year.

73's
Hamradiostuffing

Last edited by Hamradiostuffing; 05-21-2017 at 8:54 PM..