RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Scanners, Receivers and Related Equipment Forums > Radio Shack Scanners

Radio Shack Scanners - A forum for the discussion of all Radio Shack scanning radios and receivers.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-24-2017, 1:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milcom_chaser View Post
Just upgraded to DSP 3.1, running firmware 4.5, yes 4.5 not hearing any improvement in LSM distortion...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just changed firmware to 4.6 with updated DSP 3.1 not hearing improvement either...

Sponsored links
Old 05-24-2017, 1:23 PM

Thumbs up I agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricCottrell View Post
Hello,

I do not know if the DSP 3.1 upgrade will work with 4.6. I may test that over the next few days. There is a method of rolling back DSP updates by saving the old CONFIG.BIN file.

I know some people will not be happy with my decision to stop updating at Version 4.6. There are several factors involved with the decision. I did not want to undermine Whistler's update offer, which also includes factory support. It was different when the scanners had no support path. I think it is great of Whistler to offer this. There is also more work needed to make Version 4.7 usable with no guarantee that Whistler changed things again now or in the future. Some of the work needed is very likely illegal under US law if I was to do it and distribute it. I think it is a good opportunity to end the experiment.

Since my work is open source, it does not prohibit anyone from making a fork of the project and doing the work to allow post 4.6 versions to be loaded. I would not like that, but it is out of my hands.

73 Eric
Eric,

I agree with you. I used your GRETOOL to upgrade my PRO 668 to 4.6 also. I think you are correct that we need to support Whistler in their upgrade program. I am telling everyone I know about it and will be pointing them Whistler's Way. They deserve it. Radio Shack stiffed them for a lot of money and I think will win over the old Radio Shack scanner users to their future products. When I have told my Geek friends about this they tell how cool they this offers is. Thanks Eric again for the fun in the meantime.

Last edited by Hamradiostuffing; 05-24-2017 at 3:01 PM..
Old 05-24-2017, 2:55 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

I have 2 questions and hope I am not beating a dead horse here. 1: should I update the DSP and not the CPU.(converted 668).2: if doing Whistler update do I have to convert 1088/668 back to last 668 config.?
Old 05-24-2017, 4:36 PM

Queue the flames with a sarcastic or straight forward reply...

In....

Old 05-24-2017, 5:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joec157 View Post
I have 2 questions and hope I am not beating a dead horse here. 1: should I update the DSP and not the CPU.(converted 668).2: if doing Whistler update do I have to convert 1088/668 back to last 668 config.?

You can update the DSP, and leave the firmware be. You wouldn't have to "roll back" your radio. They will overwrite your current firmware, and possibly bootloader.

Sponsored links
Old 05-24-2017, 5:32 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilmillcharlie View Post
Don't know what is going on but when I use the Whistler EZscan software with my modified Pro668, on a dmr 900mhz system the talkgroups I programmed do not show in EZscan but are in the scanner when monitoring the system. Unable to edit the talkgroups.
Guess nobody else has seen this problem.
Old 05-24-2017, 7:43 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by milcom_chaser View Post
You can update the DSP, and leave the firmware be. You wouldn't have to "roll back" your radio. They will overwrite your current firmware, and possibly bootloader.

Thanks. Just was not sure.
Old Yesterday, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KT4HX View Post
I have not bought a Whistler branded scanner to this point, but I know they have a great number of satisfied customers that have. I see no reason not to trust them as they've not given me a reason to do so. They do read these forums and engage with customers at trade shows (such as the recent Dayton Hamvention). I feel they are making a very good move by offering this upgrade for these three models to bring them under their umbrella where they will have full support. That is a major shift from where we were not that long ago, facing a future with no support for them. I will be taking advantage of the upgrade and look forward to the results.
Thanks for answering me back. Yep I think I'm going to send my Pro 668 in for the upgrade.

Do you think they'll tell us just what has to be done to it?
Old Yesterday, 10:03 AM

OK, so most of us have our scanners updated to W1080 4.5/4.6, so are we suppose to roll our scanners back to it's orignal Radio Shack firmware before we send it in to Whistler? if so, how do we do that?
Sponsored links
Old Yesterday, 10:21 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaijudo View Post
Thanks for answering me back. Yep I think I'm going to send my Pro 668 in for the upgrade.

Do you think they'll tell us just what has to be done to it?
I assume by that question you are asking will they tell us what they are doing to it internally? I have not seen anything from them stating that. There are various ideas tossed around about what they would need to do or will do. Whether they will let that specific cat out of the bag, only they know. Basically whatever they specifically do will effectively turn it into a WS-1080, with an important difference from what we have now. It will be capable of being updated with all future updates for the WS-1080 directly from Whistler rather than having to go through some programming gymnastics as we've had to go through thus far. Couple that with factory support if needed, I feel its a good deal. Apparently Eric C. believes so as well, as he will participate in the program like many others.
Old Yesterday, 10:26 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
OK, so most of us have our scanners updated to W1080 4.5/4.6, so are we suppose to roll our scanners back to it's orignal Radio Shack firmware before we send it in to Whistler? if so, how do we do that?
That question has been asked a couple of times (from myself included). I was asking in a general sense as to what others will do. Personally I will likely roll my Pro-668 back to its native state. No particular reason really. I suspect Whistler could care less. Its not like they don't know about all this. To do that you simply go through the same procedure you did before only select the Pro-668 firmware to squirt into the radio.
Old Yesterday, 10:31 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Quote:
There are multiple threads regarding the upgrade, and that question has appeared several times. You may have to use your best judgment. Whistler may never directly answer that question because to do so would require public acknowledgement that the unauthorized upgrades involving their software/firmware exist. For legal and/or business reasons, they might want to avoid the topic.
Old Yesterday, 10:52 AM
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin

Arrow

Call Whistler and ask Whistler on how they want the scanner to be shipped with what firmware in the scanner..
Scanner support - 866.923.8719
https://whistlergroup.com/pages/contact-us
Old Yesterday, 10:57 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Your current firmware is irrelevant to them updating your scanner as they are going write over it.

On June 1st all the details to ship will be on whistlers website.
Old Yesterday, 11:11 AM

Smile Yep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wackyracer View Post
Your current firmware is irrelevant to them updating your scanner as they are going write over it.

On June 1st all the details to ship will be on whistlers website.
I called Whistler and they said that I did not matter what firmware was in it when you send it in for the upgrade.
Sponsored links
Old Today, 1:56 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamradiostuffing View Post
I called Whistler and they said that I did not matter what firmware was in it when you send it in for the upgrade.
There you go!