RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Scanners, Receivers and Related Equipment Forums > Radio Shack Scanners

Radio Shack Scanners - A forum for the discussion of all Radio Shack scanning radios and receivers.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-18-2017, 5:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonS View Post
Yes, you were very careful to avoid sharing, distributing, #including, etc.Whistler's code.

Your "transcoding" function and tables were carefully crafted so that no "raw" version of Whistler's code ever exists, even in a RAM buffer. This care was obvious from a cursory examination of your source many months ago.

(Based on your posts, it looks like you've also been very careful to avoid using the word "encryption", instead using the term "obfuscation". This was almost certainly intentional. You know where that particular line is, and you've been careful to keep your toes barely on the right side of it.)

However, the latest release of your tool, supporting Whistler's WS1080/88 CPU version 4.6, absolutely depends on people sharing a decrypted copy of Whistler's code - rather than just downloading the "obfuscated" version directly from Whistler's web site. You didn't support that version until someone else decrypted and posted it.

You can say that you "follow copyright", and such a position is likely defensible (i.e. you didn't actually copy anything). It's patently obvious, though, that you don't really respect the concept. From its very first release, your tool had no purpose other than defeating the copy and use protections Whistler had put in place on their code.

Then, of course, there's the fact that your tool has been modifying Whistler's code since Feb 2017. What your users' CPUs are running is not what Whistler released.
Thanks Don. I'd like to add that Eric's last post says it all, "pissing off a Mfgr and developer". What a resume Eric! You lack specific experience as to what I may know and are making assumptions that aren't true. Let me send a PM. As in one of my previous posts, I recommend to use your talents for something like making an incredible App for the new remote control protocol. I'm sure you would do an incredible job.
Sponsored links
Old 07-18-2017, 6:51 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonS View Post
Maybe. Depends on how many people:
* hacked their old scanners to get DMR
* would have purchased a WS1080/88 (or later) absent the hack
* are now paying for the WS1080/88 upgrade to their old scanners
* etc.
They are getting $60 for a process which, after research, probably costs them pennies since one tech earning whatever they earn per hour can probably do 10-20 at the same time.
Sounds like Uniden.

But seriously, I applaud them for doing this. I know you work for them and have to stick up for them. So be it, it was the right thing to do and Eric pushed them into doing it.
Old 07-18-2017, 8:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpunut View Post
Thanks Don. I'd like to add that Eric's last post says it all, "pissing off a Mfgr and developer". What a resume Eric! You lack specific experience as to what I may know and are making assumptions that aren't true. Let me send a PM. As in one of my previous posts, I recommend to use your talents for something like making an incredible App for the new remote control protocol. I'm sure you would do an incredible job.

I think if read Eric's posts correctly that he said he would not be making any more versions of the GRE tool because he wanted support what the Whistler group was doing. So he basically said that the last version what's going to be it. He has been recommending to people that they send their unit in for the Legacy upgrade. He said he wanted to support Whistler and their efforts to support the old Radio Shack customers. I think $60 is it pretty reasonable price to pay for this upgrade. I think the company is being very generous. I definitely will be making my future purchases for scanners from Whistler. If I had known about the problem with RadioShack I just would have purchased a WS1080 to begin with.
Old 07-18-2017, 11:49 PM
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Hello,

This discussion is months too late since I already stopped development. It is moot. These threads and the code have been in the open for months.

You have won Whistler, is that what you want? I deleted the repository. I am done.

73 Eric
Old 07-19-2017, 12:15 AM
Moderator---not censor
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

I think Eric's post is a perfect way to end this thread.