Pro-668: Best rechargable batteries for a 668

Status
Not open for further replies.

NWI_Scanner_Guy

SCANNING THE AIRWAVES SINCE 1987
I just ordered a PRO-668 from an online seller and should have it by the middle of next week. It's used and has an issue with the USB connection, where it will not recognize when a USB cable is plugged into it, either for programming or to power the radio. No big deal since I can always take the microSD card out of the radio and stick it in my computer as far as programming goes. What does concern me a little bit is the fact that I've heard the 668 can be somewhat of a battery hog, with batteries lasting only 4 to 6 hours per charge.

Since I won't be able to use a USB cable to power it, what would be the best recyclable batteries to buy for the radio? Eneloop? Duracell? Something else? Will be looking to probably get three sets; having one set in the radio itself, one in the charger and the third ready to go when the ones in the radio get low on power.

Thanks in advance for any info / comments / suggestions.

:)

K2KOH

Premium Subscriber
Believe it or not, I've been using RS rechargeables in my 668 and my Uniden 436. I get more than a full day. I charge them in a Powerex c9000 with no problems

Ed6698

I have been using the Panasonic Eneloop Pros for a while now, IMO they are the best rechargeable batteries. Pair them with a quality charger and you can't go wrong.

tumegpc

I use the Powerex 2700 NiMh in my Pro-668. You can get them locally at a Batteries+Bulbs store for about 16.00 with a coupon. I charge my batteries with the Powerex MH-C9000 charger and I'm getting about 6-8 hours of use .

Last edited:

skinnyb82

Right now I'm using some Northtech 2000 mAh rechargeables that I picked up at Menard's. They work, sorta...discharge pretty quickly. Every now and then I swap them out for a set of those 2400 mAh Rayovac Plus series (solid green color, not the silver-ish ones) which seem to last a lot longer than the Northtechs. Cost about $2.50 per AA battery but they're worth it.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

Ed6698

I have used Duracell, Energizer and Rayovac rechargeables, not one of these could stand up to longevity of the Eneloop Pros. I am not saying the other 3 brand are not good, they just don't have seem to have the stamina for everyday scanner use.

CycleSycho

Right now I'm using some Northtech 2000 mAh rechargeables that I picked up at Menard's. They work, sorta...discharge pretty quickly. Every now and then I swap them out for a set of those 2400 mAh Rayovac Plus series (solid green color, not the silver-ish ones) which seem to last a lot longer than the Northtechs. Cost about $2.50 per AA battery but they're worth it.

:) Just got two sets of the Ray-O-Vac 2400mah greens from fleabay here ( Rayovac AA Recharge Plus 2400mAh NiMH 8 Batteries | eBay ) Finding more than 2400mah per battery using a Lacrosse Alpha-Power BC1000. Quantity 8 (2 pkgs x 4 each pkgs) at $14.95 (delivered) comes to $1.87 per battery. My email to Ray-O-Vac (before purchase) informed me these are the current production batteries. :)

CycleSycho

I have used Duracell, Energizer and Rayovac rechargeables, not one of these could stand up to longevity of the Eneloop Pros. I am not saying the other 3 brand are not good, they just don't have seem to have the stamina for everyday scanner use.

:wink: Personally, I find the reviews for the eneloops lacking. Your 'pro' series advertise doubletalk 2550mah AND 2450mah right on the package. They are also at a premium. In my research, I find the Rayovacs less expensive AND have high reviews for durability. I have a history with Duracells vs Rayovac alkalines that show demonstrably that the Duracells are way overpriced for the 'same device' longevity vs the Rayovacs. So, to each his/her own AND do some research before you buy. In my instance, price per power led me to the Rayovac PL715-4 GENB's (2400mah) that I got off fleabay. :wink:

RoninJoliet

Premium Subscriber
I found that the "Rayovac" green batt were a little fatter around and was tighter to put the batt cover back on my Uniden and RS106 ???

Ed6698

:wink: Personally, I find the reviews for the eneloops lacking. Your 'pro' series advertise doubletalk 2550mah AND 2450mah right on the package. They are also at a premium. In my research, I find the Rayovacs less expensive AND have high reviews for durability. I have a history with Duracells vs Rayovac alkalines that show demonstrably that the Duracells are way overpriced for the 'same device' longevity vs the Rayovacs. So, to each his/her own AND do some research before you buy. In my instance, price per power led me to the Rayovac PL715-4 GENB's (2400mah) that I got off fleabay. :wink:

When my Eneloop Pros last longer then 2 sets of the other brands, that price premium has paid for itself. Duracell, Energizer and Rayovac just don't seem to last as long, from daily charge and discharge in scanner use. I use the other brands, just not in scanners anymore.

RDGDigital

It's used and has an issue with the USB connection, where it will not recognize when a USB cable is plugged into it, either for programming or to power the radio. No big deal since I can always take the microSD card out of the radio and stick it in my computer as far as programming goes.

I just wanted to remind you that without a working USB connection you will not be able to do any firmware updates.

NWI_Scanner_Guy

SCANNING THE AIRWAVES SINCE 1987
Great replies. Thanks for all the comments. I appreciate them. Keep 'em coming. :D

I just wanted to remind you that without a working USB connection you will not be able to do any firmware updates.

Yes, I know that, and I'm perfectly fine with that. As long as it can pick up the local phase II system, I'll be a happy camper.

:)

DJ11DLN

+1 for the Eneloops. 11-13 hours in my 668 with no backlight and depending on how much traffic there is. External charger. I'm still using a set I bought in 2013 for another scanner and they still seem to hold a full charge.

And I have a feeling that the lack of ability to install a firmware update isn't going to be an issue, period.:( That's okay, they're great scanners, enjoy.

wtp

just get rechargeable.

opinions differ.
so get any rechargeable cells. and a smart charger.
probably the best thing to do is to check the available charge in the cells, and match them up.
having a much lower power cell in a group is the worst.
i usually check my cells once a month and group them by available charge.
having a cell with 2500 written on the side and only 1600 available means it will die quicker.
between heat and overcharge in the radio i don't know which is worse.
external charging takes care of that.
the cells are cooler and only charge until full.
do not get a quick charger or just drop cells into a 14 hour charger, that will shorten their life.

K2KOH

Premium Subscriber
opinions differ.
so get any rechargeable cells. and a smart charger.
probably the best thing to do is to check the available charge in the cells, and match them up.
having a much lower power cell in a group is the worst.
i usually check my cells once a month and group them by available charge.
having a cell with 2500 written on the side and only 1600 available means it will die quicker.
between heat and overcharge in the radio i don't know which is worse.
external charging takes care of that.
the cells are cooler and only charge until full.
do not get a quick charger or just drop cells into a 14 hour charger, that will shorten their life.

You are correct. Best investment I made was the Powerex C9000 charger, and I think that's why the Radio Shack rechargeables work so well...I ran them in formation charge, and then namtched them up. Three sets for my 436, two sets for my 668

CycleSycho

When my Eneloop Pros last longer then 2 sets of the other brands, that price premium has paid for itself. Duracell, Energizer and Rayovac just don't seem to last as long, from daily charge and discharge in scanner use. I use the other brands, just not in scanners anymore.

:) My new Rayovacs (one set of 4) have been running all day and still going strong. My 668 is set up for 24 volume, light comes on when radio is active, and it is just going fine. Two sets of 4 2400mah bought for $14.95 AND they fit my 668 radio fine with no battery cover placement problem (post of a member mentioned they had a fitment problem in their AA configured scanners). You say your eneloops last longer than 2 sets of 'others'. New sets? Old sets? Power (mah) capacity? name brand? I would be willing to bet the 2 sets of 4 Rayovac 2400mah for $14.95 I just acquired, in a side by side of a select 4 of your 2450/2550mah eneloops, mine would yield a much longer run time in compatable set up 668's. :)

:) Everyone has a like/dislike, sometimes it crosses a line of believability. I suggest the case for your eneloops, do not 'measure up'. :)

Hans13

My 2 cents worth...

Panasonic Eneloop Pros have been the best I've ever used. They seem to give twice the runtime of my other batteries. As my existing batteries become unservicable, they will be replaced with Panasonic Eneloop Pro batteries. I'll stick with genuine Panasonic; no 'generic eneloop types'. Usually, I'm the cheapest guy in the room but I have been that impressed by these batteries and the real Panasonic charger for them.

The initial set and charger were relatively inexpensive too. It was 4 batteries and a 4 bay smart wall charger by Panasonic for under $20 on Amazon. IMHO, they are well worth it.

skinnyb82

My 2 cents worth...

Panasonic Eneloop Pros have been the best I've ever used. They seem to give twice the runtime of my other batteries. As my existing batteries become unservicable, they will be replaced with Panasonic Eneloop Pro batteries. I'll stick with genuine Panasonic; no 'generic eneloop types'. Usually, I'm the cheapest guy in the room but I have been that impressed by these batteries and the real Panasonic charger for them.

The initial set and charger were relatively inexpensive too. It was 4 batteries and a 4 bay smart wall charger by Panasonic for under $20 on Amazon. IMHO, they are well worth it.
Gonna look into those Panasonics today as I use rechargeables for most everything (Xbox One controllers and headsets, remotes, etc). The Rayovacs, however much I love them, are just too expensive and apparently underperform Panasonics. Plus my charger is very old.

Ed6698

:) My new Rayovacs (one set of 4) have been running all day and still going strong. My 668 is set up for 24 volume, light comes on when radio is active, and it is just going fine. Two sets of 4 2400mah bought for $14.95 AND they fit my 668 radio fine with no battery cover placement problem (post of a member mentioned they had a fitment problem in their AA configured scanners). You say your eneloops last longer than 2 sets of 'others'. New sets? Old sets? Power (mah) capacity? name brand? I would be willing to bet the 2 sets of 4 Rayovac 2400mah for $14.95 I just acquired, in a side by side of a select 4 of your 2450/2550mah eneloops, mine would yield a much longer run time in compatable set up 668's. :)

:) Everyone has a like/dislike, sometimes it crosses a line of believability. I suggest the case for your eneloops, do not 'measure up'. :)

I already know the outcome of it, also I would not even have to cherry pick them. That is not even worth trying again because I already did. The Rayovacs would not even have a chance, they might for a few months, after that when they start degrading the Eneloops will still be going strong.

Like I said Duracell, Energizer and Rayovacs are decent for normal use, but they never will last the rigors of daily use and charging compared to Eneloop Pros in a scanner. Been there done that.

Ed6698

Gonna look into those Panasonics today as I use rechargeables for most everything (Xbox One controllers and headsets, remotes, etc). The Rayovacs, however much I love them, are just too expensive and apparently underperform Panasonics. Plus my charger is very old.

You would be better off using the standard Eneloop batteries, the white ones, for the devices you mentioned. Plus they would probably last longer then 4 sets of Rayovacs.

Status
Not open for further replies.