anything about a pro-47

Status
Not open for further replies.

DjColdCuts

I just bought my first scanner of any sort. It's a "Realistic Patrolman Scanner Receiver", Pro-47. I'm looking for any information I can get about it.

Especially about...
----Antennas
----Crystals
----Where to get crystals and antennas

Thanks!
Jonathan

riche_2

Premium Subscriber
Old crystal scanners can be fun (love the lights going across the bottom when they're scanning), I've got a couple, but not that particular one. I found crystals on ebay. Best to email the seller first with the frequencies you want to see if they actually have them. I found one seller who had them for $5 but only had a couple of the frequencies I wanted. Another seller had a wide selection (all the ones I wanted) but at $10 each. So filling out all 10 channels could cost you between $50 and $100!.

As far as antennas go, do you want indoor or outdoor? What's the connection type on the back of the scanner? Mine have the Motorola/phono-type jack. I was able to find adapters on ebay (again) to adapt the socket to a BNC type connection to attach a telescoping scanner antenna to the back of the rig. I also have and adapter to use standard UHF type connector for an outside antenna.

I found a picture of your scanner online and it looks like it has two Motorola jacks on the back. One for VHF and one for UHF.

DjColdCuts

Old crystal scanners can be fun (love the lights going across the bottom when they're scanning), I've got a couple, but not that particular one. I found crystals on ebay. Best to email the seller first with the frequencies you want to see if they actually have them. I found one seller who had them for $5 but only had a couple of the frequencies I wanted. Another seller had a wide selection (all the ones I wanted) but at $10 each. So filling out all 10 channels could cost you between $50 and $100!.

As far as antennas go, do you want indoor or outdoor? What's the connection type on the back of the scanner? Mine have the Motorola/phono-type jack. I was able to find adapters on ebay (again) to adapt the socket to a BNC type connection to attach a telescoping scanner antenna to the back of the rig. I also have and adapter to use standard UHF type connector for an outside antenna.

I found a picture of your scanner online and it looks like it has two Motorola jacks on the back. One for VHF and one for UHF.

I need to do an indoor setup, it does indeed have one connection for uhf and one for vhf. They both use a motorola connector.

riche_2

Premium Subscriber
A telescoping antenna can be used on either UHF or VHF. Just adjust the length for best reception. So maybe get one of those first along with a crystal or two and see how it works.

DjColdCuts

I apologize, it does not use a motorola connector. I am not sure of the name, which is giving me some difficulty in finding what I need. It uses the connector that is common for car stereos, especially older stereos. do you have a recommendation for where to buy?

thanks for all the help!

Nasby

I apologize, it does not use a motorola connector. I am not sure of the name, which is giving me some difficulty in finding what I need. It uses the connector that is common for car stereos, especially older stereos. do you have a recommendation for where to buy?

thanks for all the help!

It is indeed called a Motorola connector.

You can buy a telescopic antenna with that type of plug/connector at most of the online Ham Radio or Scanner shops. Radio Shack may have them as well if you have a store nearby.

This one will work:
http://www.scannerworld.com/ant32-u...c-scanner-antenna-plugs-into-back-of-scanner/

Last edited:

microx

If I recall correctly from the old crystal scanners I have, that connection IS called a Motorola style jack & plug. The plug will be about 5/16-3/8" diameter and maybe 3/4" long, with a middle pin about 1/8" diameter sticking out another half inch or so.

ALSO.. when ordering crystals, you'll want to specify they are for a radio shack scanner and not for a Bearcat, as I believe they used to have different I.F. frequencies and they are NOT interchangeable between brands. (RS used to be 10.7mhz, and Bearcats used to be 10.8 for the I.F. frequencies) I think crystals for Regency scanners would work OK too, since the IFs were the same, but don't quote me on that.

Status
Not open for further replies.