PRO-652 Signal Meter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

csgaraglino

On my new 652, the signal meter blinks on the lowest bar (dot) while my 651 handheld sitting on the same desk shows S and Full bars. I would actually expect the desktop unit to have a stronger signal, but not sure. The HH does hold the chatter longer and seems to lock on faster. Sometimes the desktop doesn't lock on at all?

Thoughts?

marksmith

Swap their positions on the desk.
Six inches can make a big difference when dealing with 700mz+

Mark
536/436/WS1095/HP1/HP2/996T/996XT/996P2/396XT/325P2/PSR800/15X/others

drayd48

Look at the thresholds and see if the RSSI values are the same in each scanner

CycleSycho

:wink: I have heard putting two scanners in close proximity (same series/manufacturer) and they interfere with each other. Separation might show a difference? Worth a try before diddling with the default settings? :wink:

csgaraglino

Well after trying everything in the book including additional locations and antennas (brought over by a friend) the final determination is that there is something defective with the antenna connection. We even hooked it up and started logging all the scans and the RSSI didn't change all that much with or without an antenna. We also figured out what I was getting was coming from 1 of the 6 towers that is less that 2 miles away. Luckily I'm still within my return window.

Chris Sgaraglino
Widow Creek Photography

Last edited:

Ronaldski

MI DB Admin
Database Admin
I can tell you I have had numerous people ask me about why their pro 651 - 652's can't pick anything up in the two neighboring 4 tower simulcast systems even using the attenuater.
I can't recommend 651-652's ws1040-ws1065 in simulcast counties.
My take is that these radios have such a hot front end and get too easily overloaded from the strong signals.
http://forums.radioreference.com/radio-shack-scanners/237694-paper-clip-antenna.html

They work fine in my one tower county and can pick up those simulcast counties here fine since they are far away from the influence of the four towers.
Unidens seem to work fine there ... just my 2 cents.

csgaraglino

My take is that these radios have such a hot front end and get too easily overloaded from the strong signals.

Thanks for your thoughts - but what started all this was that my HH 651 is working jest fine with the exact program and it's RSSI readings are coming in the high 800 (as opposed the 652 in the low to mid 300).

I think it's just the luck of the draw and quality control - who know, could have had something happen during shipping?

N1FJB

Premium Subscriber
signal meter

did you clone the hh 651 from the 652? If you clone them, sometimes this causes this issue. I had it happen to me. although i can't remember the fix. sorry. do a search. you may find something.

trp2525

On my new 652, the signal meter blinks on the lowest bar (dot) while my 651 handheld sitting on the same desk shows S and Full bars. I would actually expect the desktop unit to have a stronger signal, but not sure. The HH does hold the chatter longer and seems to lock on faster. Sometimes the desktop doesn't lock on at all?

Thoughts?

Are both radios using the same version firmware? IIRC some of the 651/652 radios came with firmware version 2.6 from the factory while others came with version 2.8 from the factory. The newest/latest firmware version for both radios is version 2.9. If you need it, see my RR post here for the 2.9 firmware update information for the PRO-651 and PRO-652: http://forums.radioreference.com/ra...e-scanner-firmware-updates-2.html#post2583244

trp2525

...Luckily I'm still within my return window...

If you are going to return your PRO-652 to Radio Shack I would STRONGLY recommend that you get your money back and purchase the same/equivalent Whistler WS1065 scanner. The Whistler version comes with the PC programming cable ($30 value) that the PRO-652 does not include. Also Whistler offers factory repair service (for a flat-rate $120 fee) after your 1-year warranty ends while that factory service is not available for the PRO-652. Lastly you will probably save some money as you can currently purchase the Whistler WS1065 from Zip Scanners for $259.99 and that price includes FREE shipping and no sales tax (https://www.zipscanners.com/whistler-ws1065-base-mobile-digital-police-scanner-radio.html). As you know the regular selling price for the PRO-652 at Radio Shack is $399.99 and $299.99 when it goes on sale for 25% off plus applicable sales tax.

csgaraglino

This unit did turn out the be defective. The antenna did not connect internally and I sent the unit back.

But as TABirdman mentioned above - there is and has been a difference between the Handheld units and the desktop units - and not just in the RSSI settings. And this is an issue between both the Radio Shack & Whistler units (since Whistler makes the Radio Shack units).

What complicates this more is that the "Easier to Read" bible everyone so praises makes this even worse by suggesting that the default RSSI settings are actually too low by default?

So I highly recommend that folks DO NOT clone settings form the Handhelds to the Desktop units, UNLESS yo go back and make the appropriate changes in the Expert Setting sections!

So what I did was:

1. I took a screen shot of both units in their factory default settings.
2. Built, Programed & Loaded the Handheld and then saved the settings in a external file.
3. I then loaded those programing and settings back in to ARC500, reset the Expert settings back to the Desktop's defaults and loaded that into the Desktop unit which is now a Whistler WS-1065 (RS 652 are no longer available).

Everything is now working great and as expected. I am sure that I can probably tweak the settings even more based on the Easier to Read page, but honestly after all this, I don't really trust the data that is over there and I don't have enough experience to know what every little settings - so I am just going to stay away from it for now.

I'm happy with the reception I am getting - I am picking up signals as far as 30+ miles away and even excellent reception of Search & Rescue missions in the mountains.

That's my 2 cents.

Attachments

• expert.jpg
    expert.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 234
Status
Not open for further replies.