pro-197 scanning

Status
Not open for further replies.

bonk83

on markscanners.com had 5 to 7 and the sq wait 1 suggested 5 to 7 and sq wait 2 suggested 10 to 12
i have mine on 5 and 10 on sq wait 2

trp2525

on markscanners.com had 5 to 7 and the sq wait 1 suggested 5 to 7 and sq wait 2 suggested 10 to 12
i have mine on 5 and 10 on sq wait 2

What are you saying and what is the purpose of your thread? Are your settings better or worse than what is suggested at Mark's Scanners? It's difficult to get your point across when you don't form any sentences or use any punctuation.

bonk83

on the squelch wait 1 i have it set to 5 and on the squelch wait 2 i have it set to 10 on markscanners
it had 5 to 7 suggested on squelch wait 1 and 10 to 12 on squelch wait 2 what would be the best setting

ka3aaa

Premium Subscriber
Is there a question in here, if so i cant find it.

What are you babbling about and for what scanner.

marksmith

The best settings are the default ones, or the ones that you read at that site.

Mark
536/436/WS1095/HP1/HP2/996T/996XT/996P2/396XT/325P2/PSR800/15X/others

Spitfire8520

I might be completely clueless! =)
From my experience, the default settings are the best. Using the lower SQ Wait 1 & 2 will "speed up" scanning through conventional frequencies by an extremely small fraction of a second, but it severely degrades the ability of the scanner to decode the correct CTCSS/DCS for a conventional object. Setting it to a smaller value can cut off the scanner before it has time to properly decode the CTCSS/DCS for a conventional object.

When I first got my Pro-106, I used Mark's recommended settings. I didn't have any conventional analog stuff on my area to test those settings and forgot about them. After going to a place that used conventional almost exclusively, I was extremely confused why my scanner would skip over active frequencies programmed with CTCSS/DCS. It would work completely fine if I left it in Search/None or if I was manually holding on a conventional object. It was years until I finally went through and reset SQ Wait 1 & 2 and suddenly the scanner would decode CTCSS/DCS correctly.

DJ11DLN

From my experience, the default settings are the best. Using the lower SQ Wait 1 & 2 will "speed up" scanning through conventional frequencies by an extremely small fraction of a second, but it severely degrades the ability of the scanner to decode the correct CTCSS/DCS for a conventional object. Setting it to a smaller value can cut off the scanner before it has time to properly decode the CTCSS/DCS for a conventional object.

When I first got my Pro-106, I used Mark's recommended settings. I didn't have any conventional analog stuff on my area to test those settings and forgot about them. After going to a place that used conventional almost exclusively, I was extremely confused why my scanner would skip over active frequencies programmed with CTCSS/DCS. It would work completely fine if I left it in Search/None or if I was manually holding on a conventional object. It was years until I finally went through and reset SQ Wait 1 & 2 and suddenly the scanner would decode CTCSS/DCS correctly.
Pretty much agree 100% with this. I tried the other settings on my 197 & 651 and soon returned them to defaults.

N5XTC

Premium Subscriber
What are you saying and what is the purpose of your thread? Are your settings better or worse than what is suggested at Mark's Scanners? It's difficult to get your point across when you don't form any sentences or use any punctuation.

i have the same problem. there is an op from south texas who does the same thing. i cannot understand what he is trying to say. no periods, commas, their is spelled as there, most things are horribly misspelled, usually on long sentence which may be two (he would say 'too') paragraphs long, etc. no wonder the guy is only a technician level ham op after 25 years. please say whether the settings are good, bad ugly, etc. so that we know what you mean. thanks.

bonk83

i have the same problem. there is an op from south texas who does the same thing. i cannot understand what he is trying to say. no periods, commas, their is spelled as there, most things are horribly misspelled, usually on long sentence which may be two (he would say 'too') paragraphs long, etc. no wonder the guy is only a technician level ham op after 25 years. please say whether the settings are good, bad ugly, etc. so that we know what you mean. thanks.

i was trying to get help with my scanner not a spelling class and the other person is talking about
a clint eastwood western movie and ya'll two must don't much about scanners if ya'll two did ya'll two understand it no matter how it was wrote the other people knew what I was talking about

bonk83

can i put the ctcss/dcs codes in if I have them or just let it search for them

trp2525

can i put the ctcss/dcs codes in if I have them or just let it search for them

If you program a channel with a CTCSS/DCS the squelch will only open up for a radio using that CTCSS/DCS. If you let the scanner search for the CTCSS/DCS it will be in carrier squelch receive but display the CTCSS/DCS (if one is being used) for each transmission.

If you have a situation where you are trying to receive a very weak signal, having a CTCSS/DCS programmed in may work against you. With a signal marginally able to break the squelch the radio may not be able to adequately decode the CTCSS/DCS and may remain totally silent. In contrast if you are in CSQ receive mode you would possibly be able to get some partial transmissions.

bonk83

would it be ok to have the ctcss/dcs on some channels
they are some that has the same frequency
with the ctcss/dcs programed in it makes the scanner pick up the frequency slower

Nasby

If you have many agencies that share the same frequency but different CTCSS/DCS codes, I would just program the frequency one time with the search setting.

This will speed up your scan time by just having the frquency entered once.

bonk83

i listen to the south carolina forestry i know only of two frequencies that i receive out of north carolina
the two sc forestry frequencies are close

k0aa

i listen to the south carolina forestry i know only of two frequencies that i receive out of north carolina
the two sc forestry frequencies are close
Hello, bonk83:

Although I'm not familiar with forestry radio systems in the Carolina's, I've used and listened to USFS and state forestry systems in other states. You've received some excellent responses from some really bright folks. You've already figured out which answers are most helpful.

As long as signal strength is adequate, I prefer having CTCSS/DCS in operation whenever I can - simply to reduce the likelihood of interference from signals of other licensees who are operating on the channels I wish to monitor. Here in Colorado, some US Forest Service radio systems use the same radio channels throughout the forest, and they minimize interference by using different CTCSS/DCS frequencies in each geographical area. What has been suggested to you regarding your possible tone configuration is logical and makes sense.

If you have National Forests nearby, you may enjoy monitoring them. I've listened to them for over 50 years. Radio Reference databases are great sources of programming data.

Keep asking questions. There are brilliant folks on these forums. 95% of them are very helpful. You generally will receive several beneficial responses.

Best wishes.

Phil

bonk83

does it matter about fm or fmn when a frequency mode is in fmn
these frequencies 159.2625,159.3375,159.2325 makes my scanner goes crazy i had to put the squelch mode in

n0jy

Premium Subscriber
If the signal is FMN and you are set to FM, the audio will appear to be weak.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.