Pro 97 conventional and trunking systems

Status
Not open for further replies.

rjz7443

Can I put both conventional and trunking systems together in the same bank with a pro 97. I'm trying to put all of the FDNY channels and talk groups in one bank. When a talk group is being used the radio stops on it but there is no sound. When I program the trunk system in a bank by it's self it comes in fine. Thanks.

wtp

yep

Channel Storage Banks
The radios have 10 banks of 100 channels. Channel numbering starts with 000 and goes to 099 in the first bank. Banks number 0-9. You can also program your trunking frequencies and conventional frequencies into the same bank as well to utilize channel space better.

from
Easier to Read Pro-97/2055 Scanner Manual

and it can't handle rebanding.

rjz7443

Yes I thought so, but for some reason the trunking isn't working correctly. It stops on the talk group but there is no sound with it. But if I program the trucked system in a bank by it's self it works fine. Any suggestions? I'm using win 97 to program the radio.

wtp

well,

if it works leave it.
i use my 97 for input channels of the county trunked system to hear if anything is really close.
it helps to have multiple scanners. i use a uniden 396T as my everyday/everywhere radio and for the county system.

you set the other channels up as conventional...right ?

bb911

Are you sure that all of your trunked settings in the mixed bank are the same as those in the single trunked bank? My Win97 software makes it easy to make programming mistakes. (More on that , if needed).

rjz7443

I'm loading it right from radio reference. So how ever you can help me would be great.

N8IAA

I'm loading it right from radio reference. So how ever you can help me would be great.

You are going to have a problem using conventional and trunk frequencies in the same bank since they are all 450 MHz. The scanner will lock onto the trunk frequencies and ignore the conventional. To make it work correctly, you will need to separate them into different banks.
Just one of those strange oddities in scanners.
Larry

wtp

are you sure

that the trunked frequencies are set to trunked and the conventional are set to FM or AM as needed.
with 10 banks and 1000 channels a bank with everything in it seems a waste anyway.
so 1 bank with even 1 frequency leaves 900 frequencies available.

bb911

I had a similar problem because I failed to change the trunking setting from "normal" to "splintered". Apparently though, that's for 800Mhz trunked only. Also, I'm located about 90 miles from the Mexican border, and was told that I shouldn't have to use splintered -- but it only receives all of my TGs if splintered is used.

N8IAA

He is trying to monitor FDNY. I'm going to guess that the trunk system is busy, as well as, all of the conventional frequencies used. The scanner will always check the CC, and if it is busier than the conventional frequencies, it will sit there. Thus, missing any action on the conventional.
One of those times that two scanners will work better than one. I used to have a 97 and tried the mix of trunk and conventional. Just never worked well.
JMTCW,
Larry

Status
Not open for further replies.