RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog
 

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Scanners and Receivers Forums > Radio Shack Scanners

Radio Shack Scanners A forum for the discussion of all Radio Shack scanning radios and receivers.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 01-03-2007, 12:44 AM
Member
   
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 5
Smile Question about a Pro-97 1,000 Channel Triple Trunking:

First I'd like to say Happy New Years to all you happy scanner owners! My husband bought me a Pro-97, i'm wondering if I'm going to need an antanna of some kind other then the one on me Pro-97 ? I live two miles outside of town and don't seem to be picking much up, when I'm talking to my nephew in the same town, his is going non-stop! I have squelching noises off and on when someone is to make a reply to an officer, rather then a vioce. I turned the squelch off but still incounter this noise from time to time. I wish they had a trouble shooting page in the owners manual, but there was none. Thanks alot guys for any help!
Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 01-03-2007, 12:58 AM
GreatLakes's Avatar
Not Posting
   
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Michigan
Posts: 2,876
Default

Happy New Year to you also!

Two miles should not present a problem, even with the stock antenna. Do you have the same frequencies programmed as your nephew has? Is he using the same radio. Can you tell us what County/City/State you're located in?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 01-03-2007, 9:17 AM
scanny_man's Avatar
Member
   
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Central Missouri
Posts: 65
Default

I'm her nephew and i have a BC92xlt and yes mine goes constantly.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 01-03-2007, 9:39 AM
GreatLakes's Avatar
Not Posting
   
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Michigan
Posts: 2,876
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by scanny_man
I'm her nephew and i have a BC92xlt and yes mine goes constantly.
Does she have the exact same frequencies programmed? Did you program it, or did she? Also make sure the squelch is adjusted properly, and that the programmed bank(s) are enabled.

Can you clarify this: "I have squelching noises off and on when someone is to make a reply to an officer, rather then a vioce." ?

Last edited by GreatLakes; 01-03-2007 at 9:43 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 01-03-2007, 10:36 AM
Member
   
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 5
Default Question About a Pro-97 1,000 Chanel Triple Trunking:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatLakes
Does she have the exact same frequencies programmed? Did you program it, or did she? Also make sure the squelch is adjusted properly, and that the programmed bank(s) are enabled.

Can you clarify this: "I have squelching noises off and on when someone is to make a reply to an officer, rather then a vioce" ?
Sorry about that! I meant to spell voice instead of vioce. When someone responds to the dispatcher instead of a voice I get a squelching sound. This can be annoying when my volume is up high.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 01-03-2007, 10:41 AM
Member
   
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 5
Default Question About a Pro-97 1,000 Chanel Triple Trunking:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatLakes
Happy New Year to you also!

Two miles should not present a problem, even with the stock antenna. Do you have the same frequencies programmed as your nephew has? Is he using the same radio. Can you tell us what County/City/State you're located in?

Thanks!
Thanks for the reply! I think I will get together with my nephew today and see which fregencies he has programed in his, but basically I'm thinking they are about the same. His Scanner on the other hand is a different brand then mine. I live in Sedalia, Mo which is in Pettis County.
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 01-03-2007, 11:21 AM
GreatLakes's Avatar
Not Posting
   
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Michigan
Posts: 2,876
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by weatherly40
Sorry about that! I meant to spell voice instead of vioce. When someone responds to the dispatcher instead of a voice I get a squelching sound. This can be annoying when my volume is up high.
I'm sorry, I wasn't criticizing your spelling, I just didn't understand exactly what you were hearing. Did you mean the squelch opened up, and you heard the usual background static type noise, or something different? Some radio systems (ie; trunking, digital, etc), make irritating noises when they're transmitting data.
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 01-03-2007, 11:30 AM
GreatLakes's Avatar
Not Posting
   
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Michigan
Posts: 2,876
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by weatherly40
Thanks for the reply! I think I will get together with my nephew today and see which fregencies he has programed in his, but basically I'm thinking they are about the same. His Scanner on the other hand is a different brand then mine. I live in Sedalia, Mo which is in Pettis County.

Here is a link on the Radio Reference Database listing frequencies for your area:
http://radioreference.com/modules.php?name=RR&ctid=1558

I think you are telling me you didn't program it at all? If you're just trying to use the preprogrammed frequencies that came in the scanner, that is the problem.

Hope this helps!
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 01-03-2007, 12:10 PM
scanny_man's Avatar
Member
   
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Central Missouri
Posts: 65
Default

yes i am programming her scanner and every once and awhile there are outbursts of a fax machine sound..even on mine and i'm not sure what that is..it sounds like a fax machine going off
Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 01-03-2007, 12:32 PM
kicktd's Avatar
Member
   
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 257
Default

what frequency is it? is it a trunked group? That almost sounds like it could either be a Control Channel sneaking in OR it could be possible they are using encryption when transmitting?
__________________
RadioShack Pro-197
Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old 01-03-2007, 12:51 PM
scanny_man's Avatar
Member
   
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Central Missouri
Posts: 65
Default

well the frequency is 451.1500...not sure if its trunked or whatever cuz i don't know much about that...but i usually pick up my neighbors and Aquila on it but every 2 or 3 minutes have to hear that sound....
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old 01-03-2007, 1:05 PM
Dubbin's Avatar
Member
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Findlay Ohio
Posts: 5,181
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by scanny_man
well the frequency is 451.1500...not sure if its trunked or whatever cuz i don't know much about that...but i usually pick up my neighbors and Aquila on it but every 2 or 3 minutes have to hear that sound....
That is from a LTR trunking system http://radioreference.com/modules.php?name=RR&sid=4631
__________________
Dwayne
My Scanner Feed
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old 01-03-2007, 1:20 PM
scanny_man's Avatar
Member
   
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Central Missouri
Posts: 65
Default

ok so it is trunked
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old 01-03-2007, 1:32 PM
Member
   
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 5
Default Question About a Pro-97 1,000 Chanel Triple Trunking:

Just wanted to let everyone know, that I just got home from scanny-man's house, and my scanner is wrking much better now. I think he programed more channels in it.
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old 01-04-2007, 4:52 PM
Member
   
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 5
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatLakes
I'm sorry, I wasn't criticizing your spelling, I just didn't understand exactly what you were hearing. Did you mean the squelch opened up, and you heard the usual background static type noise, or something different? Some radio systems (ie; trunking, digital, etc), make irritating noises when they're transmitting data.
I think you are right, I think it's just my type of radio system, as to why I'm having the static noise. I had the squelch turned down. My nephew { scanner-man} programed more channels into my scanner and it works much better now.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
  #16 (permalink)  
Old 01-04-2007, 6:16 PM
Member
   
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 337
Default

Almost sounds like a "paging system" that is close by and bleeding over onto some of the frequencies.
__________________
PRO-197
PRO-164
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:42 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
All information here is Copyright 2012 by RadioReference.com LLC and Lindsay C. Blanton III.Ad Management by RedTyger
Copyright 2011 by RadioReference.com LLC Privacy Policy  |  Terms and Conditions