SW Kansas Freq Help?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LTCSZ

Hi: New to RR scanning...Live in Garden City, KS (SW part of state) Trying to find active freqs in this part of KS, especially AmTrak...I have tried lots of listed freqs, but no joy...Any advice appreciated!

Steve

wyShack

Premium Subscriber
Not sure if I can help from up here in Wyoming but have you checked the database on this site (Radio Reference)? Railroads are listed under other agencies in most states. Go here

Kansas Railroads Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference

for the data on Kansas. Otherwise I would search 160-162 MHz (the 'standard' railroad channels are in this range) or if your scanner has a railroad service search that would also work. I have found that an older or 'extra' scanner in search mode will find a lot of interesting things-just takes time and patience.

good luck and have fun

Last edited:

SCPD

QRT
LTCSZ
Easy answer. From Hutchinson KS to Las Animas CO is 160.455. All trains including Amtrak use this freq. As for any frequencies in use internally by the Amtrak crew you are on your own. Good luck and enjoy.

FrensicPic

Premium Subscriber
LTCSZ
Easy answer. From Hutchinson KS to Las Animas CO is 160.455. All trains including Amtrak use this freq. As for any frequencies in use internally by the Amtrak crew you are on your own. Good luck and enjoy.

You are only going to hear Amtrak (Southwest Chief) twice a day (once each direction) in the early morning hours as the train passes through. Engineer to dispatcher communications are likely to be infrequent. Engineer to conductor communications will occur when "calling signals". The conductor will be on a handheld (low power).

Status
Not open for further replies.