161.265 in Connecticut

Status
Not open for further replies.

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
I've been getting activity on 161.265 lately here in New Haven county. There is nothing listed here in CT. I know it is used on Long Island by the LIRR. However, this signal is coming in just as strong as my local signals here from MTA-New Haven line. Here is the funny thing, I hear a dispatcher refer to Nassau at times but his signal is distant compared to the one I hear more often. The distant signal makes sense as being from LI. The stronger signal is the one I don't get. It has me stumped. I've got a scanner parked on the frequency for now until I get to the bottom of this. I have a good antenna system and I am used to getting really strong signals as I am about 450 feet above sea level so maybe it is LIRR, I don't know....

Manny

Last edited:

ecps92

PL/DPL or none ??

Keolis here in Massachusetts, used DPL
Railroads - Scan New England Wiki

I've been getting activity on 161.265 lately here in New Haven county. There is nothing listed here in CT. I know it is used on Long Island by the LIRR. However, this signal is coming in just as strong as my local signals here from MTA-New Haven line. Here is the funny thing, I hear a dispatcher refer to Nassau at times but his signal is distant compared to the one I hear more often. The distant signal makes sense as being from LI. The stronger signal is the one I don't get. It has me stumped. I've got a scanner parked on the frequency for now until I get to the bottom of this. I have a good antenna system and I am used to getting really strong signals as I am about 450 feet above sea level so maybe it is LIRR, I don't know....

Manny

kb1kvd

Communications Roadmaster for a railroad
Premium Subscriber
That should be the Long Island railroad, most likely the Port Jefferson line which 161.265 is the road channel down there. We use 161.265 (AAR 077) up on the MBTA commuter rail for signal testing for points north of Boston, mostly because Bay Colony Railroad still uses it on the Millis line and down in Westport for switching duties. Given the fact that you're located in New Haven county up at an elevation of +450ft,it makes perfect sense to be able to hear LIRR from your qth. It sounds like the LIRR has a really good site, especially given that we can hear them on the same frequency with our shop base in Somerville,Ma.

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
That makes sense! Thanks for the info. I'm not estranged to L.I. radio traffic so I'm not surprised.

Manny

Status
Not open for further replies.