NS NXDN simplex?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark

Premium Subscriber
Notice NS has added a newly licensed NXDN emission freq to my area on 161.475
https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?fccCallsign=WQZF927

The following designations noted on license.

8K30F1D NXDN 12.5 kHz data (Wide IDAS, NEXEDGE)
8K30F1E NXDN 12.5 kHz digital voice (Wide IDAS, NEXEDGE)
11K2F3E Frequency modulated (FM) 2.5 kHz deviation analog voice, "narrowband 12.5 kHz" (FMN mode in RadioReference.com Database) - may also be 11K0 and 11K3 bandwidth

Not sure if up and running yet but will add that freq and see if I can copy any digital noise.

troymail

Silent Key

11K2F3E Frequency modulated (FM) 2.5 kHz deviation analog voice, "narrowband 12.5 kHz" (FMN mode in RadioReference.com Database) - may also be 11K0 and 11K3 bandwidth

Not sure if up and running yet but will add that freq and see if I can copy any digital noise.

Norfolk Southern is licensing NXDN like crazy but I've seen little use of it anywhere. It's like "we're getting ready".... Lately, I see lots of locations in North Carolina getting updated each each. Here's any example:

Weekly North Carolina FCC Grants

Mark

Premium Subscriber
Yeah Troy agree prob just setting up for future digi ops.
Wouldn't make much sense to setup NXDN in small trackage area like this unless
more larger customer track areas are added as well...Getting the area licenses just part of the equation :)
Notice that the Refinery in Delaware City by far their largest customer line not added here..
Maybe that rail tanker operation which is huge will get separate digi license.

Last edited:

N9JIG

Sheriff
I wouldn't be surprised if they don't add NXDN to all licenses, especially if they come up for renewal, if for no reason other than to allow the license preparation companies to add billable hours and items.

It is coming but it will be a long while before NXDN hits the mainline.

RadioDitch

Signals Identification Member
Premium Subscriber

Should be NS Police T3, full-time encryption. Unless they're planning on changing the road channel.

radioman2001

New York North Carolina and all points in between
Quote"I wouldn't be surprised if they don't add NXDN to all licenses, especially if they come up for renewal, if for no reason other than to allow the license preparation companies to add billable hours and items.

Don't need to all you have to do is log on to the FCC website with your ID and password. Change and or add emissions, and pay the $240.00 per application. Which you will pay anyway. through a license company. You can do a lot without paying vendors.

ai8o

Brachiating Tetrapod
Norfolk Southern is licensing NXDN like crazy but I've seen little use of it anywhere. It's like "we're getting ready".... Lately, I see lots of locations in North Carolina getting updated

You've hit it right on the head: "we're getting ready".
NS has one hell of a lot of radio and electronic equipment.
PTC, Microwave links, EOTs, FREDs, thousands HTs, Loco radios, etc.
And this is just the electronics stuff that emits RF!

AAR Technical Services, (the Frequency coordinator for US Railroad frequencies), states on its website:

"However, the FCC has stated that narrowband is just an intermediate step to VERY narrowband but has not set a date yet when that will be required. The AAR recommends that all new radios purchased be very narrowband (NXDN) compatible."

The NS and other railroads are doing the same that they did when Narrow Band was mandated.
Just updating their remote radio sites, installing new equipment, etc, in anticipation of the FCC and AAR mandate is a massive job, and this has to be done while still maintaining all the RF gear and systems already in place.

The NS radio techs installed new equipment while the old system was still in use.
When they had all the new equipment installed, tested, and ready to go, all over the NS, they set a date for each division to switch over to using the new Narrow Band system.

As each division was switched over they had lots of extra radio techs in the area, just in case there was a problem.
After each division was up and running smoothly, another division was switched over, eventually the whole of the NS was switched to narrow band in a few months, after years of preparation.

Remember, AAR sets compatibility standards for all kinds of RR equipment, not just radios.
RR equipment has to be compatible all over North America, so
Consequently ARR Tech Services is mandating NXDN as the next AAR Very Narrow Band emission type radio standard.

NXDN is being handled the same way as the wide band to narrow band change over.
Lots of time being spent preparing for the change over, installing, and testing new equipment; and then a comparatively short actual change over period.

Given the massive amount of equipment that needs to be installed, tested, and issued to operating personnel, while maintaining current equipment, 10 years may not be enough time.

RadioDitch

Signals Identification Member
Premium Subscriber
Mark,

In Baltimore CSX Police use digital on their police frequency, between vehicles, but I have not heard it anywhere else.

In New Jersey CSX utilizes the State of New Jersey's ICS P25 Phase II Trunked System or cell phones. NS Police use NXDN encrypted on 99% of the system.

Status
Not open for further replies.