RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Service Specific Monitoring > Railroad/Railfan Monitoring Forum

Railroad/Railfan Monitoring Forum - This is the place to discuss monitoring railroad communications.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-05-2017, 10:34 AM
Technischer Guru
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRR View Post
NS is intentionally doing it, and only for NXDN. Why not for DMR? Why not for P25? Tetra? Heck, why not add in Dstar if thats the case?

Why is everyone fighting this so much? Just because you haven't heard it, means it isn't so?
A railroad isn't going to add DMR, P25, Tetra or other modes to their licenses unless they intend to use it in a specific location. Coordination costs money, and many coordinators I deal with charge a fee for each additional mode added to a license (I don't deal with AAR so don't know how they handle it). With NXDN the approved standard for railroad use, that's what the railroad is going to license. If they intend to use P25 or another mode in a specific location, they'll either amend an existing license or obtain a new license for that specific location, but not for the entire system. No point spending money on coordinating and licensing modes they'll never use.

Otherwise, they're most likely adding NXDN to their licenses simply so they'll be ready when the time comes. Coordination and licensing costs money, so it's very likely they're doing this whenever they have to renew or update a license, as it makes sense to combine your administrative tasks to save money on filing fees.

And as others have noted, no one doubts that a switch to NXDN is eventually going to happen, but the mere fact that railroads are updating their licenses and already possess NXDN-ready equipment doesn't mean a systemwide switch to NXDN is imminent.

If I PM you about a submission, please reply promptly or your submission may be rejected.

Last edited by wa8pyr; 12-05-2017 at 10:49 AM..
Sponsored links
Old 12-05-2017, 4:41 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by radioman2001 View Post

Networked radio, Yea I seen it, and that is nothing more than replacing RTL tie line's for a Cat 5 Network. Actually it is less reliable and more expensive when dealing with outside plants like Verizon, so another reason we are staying analog until forced to digital.
Umm..... the NS networked radio system is 100% NXDN, has nothing to do with what you stated.... You seem confused, or uneducated on the subject, since you are a RR radio tech (You are a Railroad radio tech, right?) I will not go any farther with this one, except to say also that the NS police are also on a networked (encrypted) NXDN system as well. Wonder how that works, with an analog only system, as is claimed....

Not everyone is going through the AAR to get their licensing done, shortlines, contractors, etc. I love mototrbo, it would be my choice if it were my decision, 2 talkpaths per channel, better audio, Motorola ruggedness...

Regardless, I feel like I'm being baited for info here....
Old 12-06-2017, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRR View Post
Here's a curveball for ya, ever heard of a "network" radio system on the Railroad? Sure ya haven't. I'm sure there is a lot that goes on out here that you aren't aware of. Matter of fact, I'm quite sure of it.

Any I see nobody has posted any background relevance. Didn't think there would be much response to that. But I don't really care. I can only dismiss some of the replies as typical armchair assumables, thinking that just because they haven't heard any wooshing sounds on their scanner, that nobody is using NXDN, right?

No sure havenít, youíre the first and only person to know about this new technology lol. Not sure why you think you are the only one who works in this industry.
Old 12-06-2017, 4:01 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Apparently I'm the only one who can answer accurately here.