RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Service Specific Monitoring > Railroad/Railfan Monitoring Forum

Railroad/Railfan Monitoring Forum - This is the place to discuss monitoring railroad communications.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-28-2018, 5:40 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

My family takes it frequently from our home to Northern California. It’s great and relaxing if you have time to spare. I usually take it to Richmond, then hop on BART to Berkeley or San Francisco to catch a game. I don’t take any radios but they have WiFi so we just stare at our iPads or read the paper.
Sponsored links
Old 11-02-2018, 9:27 AM

Default Has Anybody Here Traveled By Amtrak?

I did find this.

On Track On Line - Amtrak Freqs Empire Builder

After sifting through the above website, I might be able to search/scan all AAR frequencies, but focus on these.

Last edited by JASII; 11-02-2018 at 9:35 AM..
Old 11-02-2018, 10:14 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default Amtrak from Illinoise to New Orleans

My wife and I took Amtrak from Bloomington, IL to New Orleans (and back) about 2 year ago. It was my first real train ride and we both enjoyed it. We got the sleeper rooms and figured that the trip was going to cost us a hotel if we drove, so the price wasn't out of line for a car trip. The food was not bad - certainly better than the gruel they serve on the airlines and we had the chance to meet a few nice people. There was a place to get a drink with a wonderful attendant from New Orleans, the accommodations were much more comfortable than flying, and we genuinely enjoyed the trip.

I took my Motorola XPR7550 (VHF) and listened to the railroad communications the entire trip {as a side note, I always use the Motorola covert headset in public. [Why would anyone want to bother others with the noise and deal with any potential drama that it may cause?]

They condition of the rails in Mississippi are not good, so the train has to slow down, but the trip was overall enjoyable. The car attendant was a really nice person that we still follow on FB (58 Sleeper Guy).

It was pleasant way to start a week long get away (and we never went to Bourbon street)
Old 11-02-2018, 11:31 AM
Sheriff
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

My first long-distance Amtrak trip was way back when the BC-100 handheld was the top of the line scanner. I even brought a tiny screwdriver so I could swap batteries en route as it used rechargeable AA's but really wasn't set up for easily replacing them in the field.

I rode the California Zephyr our of Chicago and met a girl on the train that I spent the whole ride with until she made it home in mid Nebraska in the middle of the night, we kept in touch for a while after that and I took the train there and back a couple times that summer. I continued on to Denver when my folks met me and we all rode to SLC and then after a few days came back. We then drove down to Phoenix from Denver and later rode the Sunset to New Orleans and then they returned on the Sunset and I took the City of New Orleans to Chicago.

The BC100 worked great and I was able to hear all the traffic when we had an unfortunate incident in Texas after striking some pedestrians sleeping between the rails. The car attendant knew I had a scanner (we had chatted about it before and he thought it was cool we could hear the radio traffic) and came to me and asked that I not let people know what was happening as to not alarm the rest of the passengers so I kept it to myself until the Border Patrol released the train.

In those days one could park on the Road channel and it would not change for hundreds of miles in places. The Sunset line was all on 161.550 from Phoenix to New Orleans at the time, the IC was all on 161.190 etc. Now it is a little more difficult, as there are several Road channels on each railroad. Scanning all 97 channels is pretty easy and if you do that you won't miss much.

Facts are facts but my opinions are my own and may not reflect those of whom I work for.
Old 11-02-2018, 11:46 AM

Many years ago I rode Amtrack and asked the Conductor or some employee about their radios and he actually gave a list of frequencies used on that trip.
Old 11-02-2018, 2:11 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Most newer scanners have service search which includes a service search for railroads that might be your best bet ALSO program the statewide frequencies for each of the states you go through
Old 11-02-2018, 7:08 PM

Frequencies listed by train ...
On Track On Line - Amtrak Radio Frequencies
Old 11-08-2018, 2:05 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I've ridden Amtrak several times, but they've all been day trips (no overnights.)

I enjoyed the trips and find that I relax more on the train. I would listen to my scanner with an earbud, mostly parking it on the road channel or scanning the road and dispatch channels, as I watched the scenery go by out the window.

Since my train didn't have a diner, just a cafe car, I would get a sandwich for lunch and a drink. I'd also buy some Amtrak souvineers.

I would also go to the very last car on the train and stand at the locked rear door and look out the back window.

Yes, travel by train does take longer, but you can always get up and walk around to stretch your legs. I also found that the seats are much more comfortable that airline seats and the seats in most automobiles. And, I wouldn't have to deal with airports, changing planes and being tired from driving when I got to my destination.

I wish there were more trains that went where I needed to go.......

Warren Whitby
CSX Montgomery, Alabama audio feed - http://www.broadcastify.com/listen/feed/14418/web
Old 11-08-2018, 3:00 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Default Trains R Fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwhitby View Post
I've ridden Amtrak several times, but they've all been day trips (no overnights.)

I enjoyed the trips and find that I relax more on the train. I would listen to my scanner with an earbud, mostly parking it on the road channel or scanning the road and dispatch channels, as I watched the scenery go by out the window.

Since my train didn't have a diner, just a cafe car, I would get a sandwich for lunch and a drink. I'd also buy some Amtrak souvineers.

I would also go to the very last car on the train and stand at the locked rear door and look out the back window.

Yes, travel by train does take longer, but you can always get up and walk around to stretch your legs. I also found that the seats are much more comfortable that airline seats and the seats in most automobiles. And, I wouldn't have to deal with airports, changing planes and being tired from driving when I got to my destination.

I wish there were more trains that went where I needed to go.......
If you ever come to Florida do BrightLine. The airline on rails, it makes AMTRAK look like a subway, well except Acela.

https://gobrightline.com

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brightline

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VaW-mPxzg_s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-KWvb5YytT8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=euUU2KeZQvk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LkjZpduXMws
Old 11-09-2018, 2:41 AM

Location: Vrigo Super Cluster, Milky Way Galaxy, Sagatarious Arm, SOL system, Earth, California, Bay Area.

JASII - yes, I traveled round trip on Amtrack from Oakland CA to Sacramento CA (old town).
the Sacramento station was Beautiful ART Deco design. but in bad disrepair.
It was an OK Expierence. its was Slow at times and quite Noisy (bad grind job) . I did like the upper Deck QUIET cars and rode some of the way Downstairs too.
this is in STARK contrast to my Expierence in riding Japanese Bullet Trains when I was younger(1986).
the Japanese Bullets are almost noise free All Electric and very smooth riding (great track grinding).
Turnarrounds in Japan are super efficient and FAST. and the Japanese trains (baring accidents) were ALWAYS on time, which cant be said about Amtrack.
Amtrack needs to go All Electric. Diesel is OUT. even DMU. Caltrain is going All Electric soon. Amtrack should follow suit.
Old 11-13-2018, 11:54 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnalogLowband View Post
If you ever come to Florida do BrightLine. The airline on rails, it makes AMTRAK look like a subway, well except Acela.
Thanks! If I'm ever down that way, i'll give it a try!

Warren Whitby
CSX Montgomery, Alabama audio feed - http://www.broadcastify.com/listen/feed/14418/web
Old 11-15-2018, 8:21 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Iíve been traveling on Amtrak twice a day, 5 days a week, for 12 years (Capitol Corridor) if you have any questions about that route.
Old 11-16-2018, 8:05 AM
Careful, I CAN hear you!
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin

I have done the Indianapolis to Chicago run 2 times. CONO 4 times now, twice on the Chicago to Jackson, MS run, twice on the full Chicago/New Orleans run. Loved the CONO... The other one was convenient, and thats all it has going for it.
Motorola: APX6000XE
Baofeng: RD-5R
Old 11-16-2018, 10:23 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

My all time best AMTRAK experience is still Autotrain. If you're a smoker they no longer allow you smoke in the last car. Can't hang out on the platform in Sanford before boarding either. Only smoke break is somewhere in the Carolinas when the train sits for a bit, couldn't be a crew change point since there are two engineers piggybacking each other on AT and the hours of service personnel sleep in their own locked employee only car overnight. Leastways that's what I was told. Cabins are expensive but worth it. Late at night when everybody is pretty much asleep you can learn a lot talking to the conductor and assistant conductors or whatever they are called nowadays and are super friendly. Last trip an AMTRAK NEC engineer heading back from visiting family said he saw a bunch of NJT engineers he sees at work heading South for interview appointments for BrightLine. Is NJT that bad? Still waiting to see if enough of America's new currency the rubles goes into the next Governors offshore account to convince AMTRAK to relocate AT to OIA's massive new transportation hub.
Old 11-18-2018, 7:08 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Is NJ transit that bad yeah its that bad. I do not blame them move to sunny FLA and run a state of the art train. or stay in NJ and run some broken down old Arrows

Next summer i wanna do the Lake Shore Limited
I am gonna do brightline when i go to miami in may