RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > The RadioReference Tavern > Rants

Rants I'm mad as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-14-2014, 1:48 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

You all might find this discussion amusing.

This is a Miami-Dade Council meeting discussion on the new fully encrypted system that isn't working so well.

Public Safety and Animal Services Committee - May 14th, 2014

Fast forward to 00:42:55 and listen to the response when the council member asks why encryption is necessary.

Feeds and smartphones. Scanners never mentioned.

Denial isn't just a river in Egypt.
Sponsored links
Old 05-14-2014, 6:50 PM

But one person is exactly correct. It is what I've been saying all along. When you hear myself speak, there's likely a health and safety issue at stake.

A lot of these people are a little slow with the political issue. They're more protective of their teenage son or daughter's political life, versus getting them going in the right direction. (Paranoia, patsies, ...)

(I think the female leaders are more promotive of using encryption, as they think they're protecting their children.)

Denali is also a Mountain within Alaska. ;-)
Old 05-18-2014, 11:36 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Default Florida

Florida has always had a bad attitude about police scanners. I will never visit that state,it has all the strappings of the touchy feely police state. If we could get a true American hero like Edward Snowden to reveal how to defeat this ADP encryption on the cheap we would win half the battle. I don't think we can ever break that higher encryption though. It would be nice if someone would also publish how to jam these p25 systems as well. I heard they can be forced to transmit in the clear.
Old 05-19-2014, 4:04 PM

balibago: Probably not a good idea to jam radio receivers or radio transmissions.

And I don't think Snowden would be the guy to ask how to decrypt APCO-25 transmissions. Snowden would likely have more will to provide Russia with the information, then inform a private US citizen. He would have had probably had better results if he would have first went to a local pastor with his problem(s)!

You are right about one thing, this APCO-25 encryption appears to look very strong, or too strong depending on your point of view. And there are significant weaknesses most unexperienced people are merrily turning a blind eye to, or just shrugging off as nothing. (ie. They call them Walkie Talky's... Really? LOL. ;-)

Not against HDMI copy right protection or APC-25 encryption, just completely against how the technology is being deployed or administered. Everything is a tool, and if a tool isn't used correctly, the job isn't likely going to be completed correctly either. (ie. Can't go around shooting all the people you just want to shoot, and can't lock-up all the thieves steeling pens.)
Old 05-22-2014, 10:19 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

I spoke with the Lafayette city parish president Joey Durel on Lafayette live with Joey Durel today. I asked him why ALL Lafayette emergency services were encrypted. He said their must be a: reason" yes that was his answer their must be a reason. I know Durel is a very busy competent individual. The host was very familiar with scanners while Durel wasn't but he appeared to just go along with the encryption. He even added the comment that other parishes maybe didn't have the technology to encrypt and that's why they weren't. Mr. Durel ALL of the parishes are on the LWIN except Rapides and only about 7 of 64 run full time encryption.The others respect their citizens desire to know about things. This country slides a little further down the slippery slope every day thanks to a combination of control freaks and technology. They all use the same tired garbage about protecting the public and crime and "privacy issues".
Sponsored links
Old 05-25-2014, 10:12 PM

Has anyone even considered "Following the Money" these feeds generate for RR?
Do any of you feed providers make any money from your feed(s)?
How much do you think it cost YOU to provide a FREE Feed to RR?

Do some home work on how much this generates for RR and let me know what you find out.
Old 06-02-2014, 1:39 PM

Here's a news article about a pursuit in Utah that mentions a tipster hearing the description of the suspect vehicle on a scanner feed: Video: Car fleeing from police goes through park, nearly hits children | FOX13Now.com - News for Salt Lake City, Ogden, Provo and beyond

From that article: "Police put out an attempt to locate, and police responded after a tipster spotted the car in Syracuse. The tipster heard the attempt to locate while using a police scanner app on a smart phone."
Old 06-02-2014, 5:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4436time View Post
Why fight over something you have no control over?

We see LE using scanner and RR loaded cell phone toting bad guys as an argument for encryption, yet how often do they shut down high-speed chases, letting the perpetrator go so no one's put in harms way? I've heard it happen twice this week alone. Wonder how they plan on fixing that with encryption?
The primary reason for encryption is simple, straight forward and direct. They do not want the public listening to what they have to say. And based on how we've seen things in LE evolving, it's very easy to understand why they don't.

Video: Excessive Force - Militarized Police Terrorize America

The above is for all those still in denial out there. There are tens of thousands of videos like this, with more springing up everyday.

Like so many other things we can all think of, 'The State' always has a good sounding excuse (or several) lined up to be touted with great bravado from behind some press conference podium as to why they're doing what they're doing. - "There are scanner and RR loaded cell phone toting bad guys out there" - When these "scanner toting bad guys" constitute less than one-tenth of one percent in criminal offenders. And, actually, these days they don't even much bother having a press conference or public engagement/correspondence on these issues. They just do them whether you like it or not. And do remember, these are your bought-and-paid-for public servants. They answer to you, not the other way around.
XTS3000/5000 (UCM) DTR EF 5100 ITT SINCGARS RT1523B
Old 06-02-2014, 6:26 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Thank you RadioPatriots. These cold hard truths need to told everyday everywhere we can!

Save Gas. Drive a Diesel...
Sponsored links
Old 06-02-2014, 9:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tampabaynews View Post
You all might find this discussion amusing.

This is a Miami-Dade Council meeting discussion on the new fully encrypted system that isn't working so well.

Public Safety and Animal Services Committee - May 14th, 2014

Fast forward to 00:42:55 and listen to the response when the council member asks why encryption is necessary.

Feeds and smartphones. Scanners never mentioned.

Denial isn't just a river in Egypt.
00:42:55. I have a difficult time listening to that. The technology and means to listen to police calls has been available for decades, and every law enforcement agency in the nation knows it and has always known it.

Once again city council members are fed a crock of distortions and a bunch of techno babble, which they of course never question.
Old 06-06-2014, 6:08 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

That's what I said a few weeks back and received a discipline point for it. When I can no longer listen to my local P25 system, what good is Radio Reference to me? I don't care about Railroad or Aviation Freqs.

Chuck
Old 06-06-2014, 8:53 PM

I've learned that there is a great deal of understandable frustration on the part of the admins and mods here at RR, because as they say, the subject of encryption has been beaten to death over and over. And I think that's exactly the problem. The subject has only been beaten to death. It has never been constructively discussed in a prolific and productive way. A way that may educate and allow members of RR (or anyone) to petition their local governments against Public Safety encryption, using the proper venues. It is entirely possible, but people have to take action if they want to prevent or at least moderate it. Merely talking or griping about it here in RR will do no good for any of us.

Also, there is a certain "demoralization syndrome" that I see happening. That is, people have simply acquiesced to the the illusion of "Big Brother's" infallible and omnipresent power. But this is indeed an illusion. Things can be done and things can be changed, but it requires people taking action.

IMHO, Radio Reference is in the envious and remarkable position to properly educate people regarding the argument against encryption. To stop griping about it and start thinking of it in a positive, solution-based way. We've already seen video links here to people standing up and talking in their city councils against it (encryption). If someone is well-spoken and has good facts and talking points, they may well turn the tide. And having numbers never hurts.
Old 06-06-2014, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpetraglia View Post
That's what I said a few weeks back and received a discipline point for it. When I can no longer listen to my local P25 system, what good is Radio Reference to me? I don't care about Railroad or Aviation Freqs.

Chuck
Did you make your post in the RANT section here? Where nobody comes and you're just a p***ed off lunatic spouting drivel? Encryption issues are not considered valid or important ... even though they're only completely destroying the hobby (and the media and the public's right to know) a little more each day. And as the hobby continues to be destroyed, there will be no more Radio Reference, as Radio Reference will be destroyed along with it as it becomes an antiquated dinosaur having and serving no function. Encryption issues are considered rants. If you posted in the wrong place, that may be why you were penalized.
Old 06-11-2014, 12:50 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Exclamation Fire Department Encryption

How many Fire Departments Are Encrypted out there? I personally don't see why a fire department needs to be encrypted. The reason here is that there is firetruck chasers.
Old 06-11-2014, 12:56 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

When adding AES encryption to a radio becomes a nothing for price, then every one of them will be encrypted. In the meantime, that extra cost is keeping the numbers fairly low, except for Government installations.
Sponsored links
Old 06-11-2014, 2:46 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by com501 View Post
When adding AES encryption to a radio becomes a nothing for price, then every one of them will be encrypted. In the meantime, that extra cost is keeping the numbers fairly low, except for Government installations.
and this is only a matter of time. With AES being rather mature, the first vendor to "throw it in" on subscriber hardware will set the tone for the rest of the players.

AES is the standard per the Feds. Once everyone has it, it's only a matter of time for a DHS mandate, and then scanning is over. Not a matter of IF, but WHEN.
Old 08-09-2014, 3:46 PM
Completely Banned for the Greater Good

[QUOTE=Citywide173;1631369]Come

Last edited by EmilyWolf; 08-09-2014 at 3:54 PM..
Old 08-10-2014, 9:56 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Just read in the Fayetteville Observer, NC that Cary PD is going encrypted. Guess I should have waited before I bought a new scanner. Might start to see discounted prices on scanners from the folks up in Cary, NC. I can see it now $500 scanner reduced to $50 offered on e-bay and craigslist. And you too can own a decorative plastic brick cause encryption will be in your area shortly. Yup, I feel it coming. Encryption is only about 70 miles due North of me. Guess I'll enjoy my little hobby for little awhile longer I hope. I feel the electricity in the air.
Old 08-25-2014, 9:50 PM

Default Sorry I'm a little slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalanalog View Post
Has anyone even considered "Following the Money" these feeds generate for RR?
Do any of you feed providers make any money from your feed(s)?
How much do you think it cost YOU to provide a FREE Feed to RR?

Do some home work on how much this generates for RR and let me know what you find out.
Never thought of that.

I could never understand why every time anyone brings up that live feeds are the reason first responders want to encrypt, the administration here wants to hear nothing of it, and will promptly close the thread.

I'm sorry, but based upon what I have personally seen in my area, I fully believe that encryption would be much, much less if the feeds were not streamed on the internet.
Several municipalities here in suburban Wayne County Michigan are openly stating it as THE reason they have gone encrypted.

Last edited by Wyandotte; 08-25-2014 at 10:01 PM..
Old 08-25-2014, 9:54 PM
Temporarily Banned
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

They are making money at the expense of killing our hobby at a very fast pace now. Thanks Lindsey

Tags