RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > The RadioReference Tavern > Rants

Rants I'm mad as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-01-2011, 5:54 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

omg lol
Sponsored links
Old 12-05-2011, 10:07 PM

I'm sure there are a bunch of times that live feeds have been beneficial to LE agencies. I know of one of these times. I have also heard suspect descriptions on my scanner and called 911 when I saw someone that matched. Maybe we could do something on this site to catalog some of these events to counterbalance the negative aspects of scanning. Just a thought...
Old 12-11-2011, 4:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzdiesel View Post
Cover your ***
People still use that acronym? Haha, wow!
Old 12-11-2011, 4:51 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joke_Insurance View Post
People still use that acronym? Haha, wow!
Look out for #1 for nobody else will.

Save Gas. Drive a Diesel...
Old 12-12-2011, 10:43 PM

I think it's time to acce
Sponsored links
Old 12-13-2011, 4:34 AM

I wrote a rather long post but I will do a number recap
1. Encryption bad for us and partially good for select first responders(sert, narc, ect)
2. Interoperability is a myth until the day we need to work together(motorola better put there money where there mouth is) at least for nova cog.
3. Waste of money to do full system encryption( unless your DC and felt left out not having it like the Feds around them.
4. Motorola sucks..well there business practice atleast. Good products. Little charges for flashing add up ect
5. Scanner feeds need to be limited to 2 talkgroups when involving pd(can't use us as an excuse to encrypt) this is where buying a scanner and learning comes in. Pressing play on a VoIP stream is to easy why give it to everyone. Make them work.
6. Accept encryption. Its here and not leaving.
If it happens the only thing I can do is give this face and keep living.
7. If you build and own a system(especially a moto-monstrosity) you can do what ever you want to it.
8. When it comes to DC at least we can still hear fire talkgroups. The best example of unprofessional radio users( bickering) and worst dispatching I've heard. No wonder they wanted to hide from everyone behind bit encryption.
Give these jurisdictions space and they won't think of encrypting. Unless some jurisdiction in your area is pushing area wide pd encryption. **Cough** DC. If that happens just hope your county is smart enough to say no.
Old 12-15-2011, 9:16 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by scannerboy01 View Post
That is a very good letter, markbajek. I know that your letter is about the US police departments going to encryption, but here in Canada, there is a little bit of police encryption. I do agree in way that there should be encryption on tactical, narcotics investigation, etc. What I don't agree with is encryption on main dispatch. Is it really important that calls such as a citizen reporting a suspected intoxicated driver or an officer asking if any other officers want anything from Tango Hotel (Tim Hortons)? If dispatch gives a good description, people listening to their scanner, could call 9-1-1 to report where the vehicle is. I think that if police do system-wide encryption, they probably wouldn't get help from people listening to their scanners. I just hope that when Alberta gets their province-wide radio system in a few years, the RCMP don't decide to do full encryption.

I agree, TAC, Drug, Unit to Unit, and LEIN show be encrypted. Others no. I don't know these systems, but if there is one that would automatically encrypt certain talkgroups and not others would be perfect.
I which there was an app for both IPHONE and Android that were could mute it so our scanner would not broadcast for issues like this and we could update for breaking alerts.
Old 12-16-2011, 9:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firetaz834 View Post
I think the one thing that has not been covered is what is happening when a bad guy is caught with a scanner, is there a law in place that might deter this from happening.

Where I live it is a crime to be caught using a scanner (and I think this includes a smartphone app) during the commission of a crime.

I would like to know from those that have reported that LE agencies are unhappy when criminals are caught using receivers during the commissions of a crime if they have laws in place that combat this.
It sounds like a good idea, but if you make it a law, that it is a crime to use a scanner in the commission of a crime it starts to get redundant, first of all there are laws that makes crimes, crimes, so if you rob a bank and use a scanner, do they give you an extra year probation?.... I vote for less laws, just incase i get pulled over for speeding and have a scanner in my jeep, I don't loose my licence or worse.....

Last edited by 13riverking; 12-16-2011 at 9:36 PM..
Old 12-21-2011, 3:34 AM

If they sold the scanners blank with no system info I doubt that the bad guy with the scanner will take the time to program hex, dec or frequencies. Or understand it. I just wonder what happens when we catch up to current signaling. TDMA is new to PS. It's been here since the 80's. Proven usefull by Nextel(or atleast it will for a year more) it seems that unless your a crypto algorithm geek and signaling guru scanning may be a thing of the past when phase 2 expires down the road. Where will it go next. DES now AES what's next?

Honestly the best solution would be to stop police scanner IP feeds all together(I'm a hippacrit). Nothing for over reacting police chiefs to use for fuel in the encryption fire. Or go private hosting for PD feeds. Just thoughts. Feel free to tear my post apart. Freedom of speech, information ect can be said over. Looking from the other view point, it would suck going on a high risk warrant service if they knew you are coming. Time to flee or worse being the lucky Officer who gets a 12 gauge slug through the door and prepared armed men waiting while you pull up.
Sponsored links
Old 12-21-2011, 10:20 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

I never saw the point to a scanner feed if it was for your local jurisdiction. A scanner was much easier to deal with than lugging a computer around. And yes, even a smart phone is a computer best left in the car in its hard mount.
Old 01-04-2012, 9:44 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default Law Enforcement Requests to Remove Feed

I'm just curious if any other feed providers have been asked to remove their feed due to security concerns by someone in law enforcement? If so, what was your response?

I live in a relatively rural area and I was asked very politely yesterday by someone employed in the law enforcement field to remove my feed, though it wasn't an official request, put in writing, by a department or a department's administration per se. Apparently at least a few persons who have had encounters with law enforcement in the area were listening to the feed using a smartphone device; it's fairly well-known in the area that I am the feed provider. LE realizes that legally there really is nothing they can do, and no such actions were threatened, so this was a nonchalant request that I assume they figured couldn't hurt to try.

Last edited by K9JLR; 01-04-2012 at 9:48 AM..
Old 01-04-2012, 10:20 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I have never been in your situation, but i would very politely tell them that you will be keeping it online. It is not your responsibility how others are using it.
Old 01-04-2012, 10:23 AM
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin

Contact Lindsay so he's aware of your situation.
Old 01-04-2012, 10:36 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

I've never been asked, but personnally, I'd rather they ask me to take a feed offline rather than just suddenly encrypting or scrambling their radio transmissions. You need to consider that if you don't take it offline, they may decide to use fulltime voice inversion or encryption to keep anybody outside of the department from listening.
Old 01-04-2012, 10:58 AM

I completely agree with fredva. I'm know I'm in a very small minority here, but I really wish that the law enforcement feeds weren't online at all, or at least had a significant time delay built in.
Old 01-04-2012, 11:14 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

K9JLR,
Maybe before you started providing the feed, you should have asked the police department. Asking the agency you are streaming audio for wouldn't be angry if you asked what channel and/or talk groups you can broadcast. A good example of this would be the feed provider EdmontonFireRadio. He asked all three emergency services in Edmonton. The police service said no and no police communications are heard on the feed. When he asked the fire department and EMS, they requested that certain talk groups not be broadcast. This is a good example of how asking the agency involved can keep you out of trouble.
Old 01-04-2012, 11:25 AM

Or just put the feed up anonymously (which it appears K9JLR has done) and never tell a soul you're the guy hosting it (which he apparently didn't do, hence his current predicament).

And before this thread devolves into the usual arguments about live feeds, officer safety and encryption...I'm not suggesting that there should be an "eff the police" attitude or stance taken with the above suggestion. I'm merely pointing out the cold, hard fact: that if you don't want to be labeled the bad guy in your community, or wind up right smack in the middle of a dilemma like this...don't ever let anyone know you host a feed. Take advantage of the Anonymous Feed feature of RR, and hide the scanner in the attic if need be.
Old 01-04-2012, 11:28 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by scannerboy01 View Post
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

K9JLR,
Maybe before you started providing the feed, you should have asked the police department. Asking the agency you are streaming audio for wouldn't be angry if you asked what channel and/or talk groups you can broadcast.
Is this commonplace with feed providers? I've had the feed online for several years.

Admittedly, I hadn't given much thought to any of this even remotely being an issue at the time that the feed originally went online, probably because the smartphone community hadn't piggybacked on the idea for an application that gave wide audiences the ability to monitor public safety comms with the click of a button.

Old 01-04-2012, 11:30 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Or just put the feed up anonymously (which it appears K9JLR has done) and never tell a soul you're the guy hosting it (which he apparently didn't do, hence his current predicament).
Yes, a few in the ham radio and scannist community were aware that I was the provider, and I assume somehow it spread from there.

Old 01-04-2012, 11:31 AM

Im not to happy about the cell phone apps, just makes it to easier for criminals to monitor Police traffic, easier for them than carrying a laptop around with them trying to find a hot spot and I don't think they want an extra charge of using a communacation device while committing a crime, when they do get caught and have a scanner on them.

I just wish for the people that want to listen to a scanner would do what the rest of us do, Go out and buy themselves a scanner, a RR subscrption, and software. Right before the New Year rang in, a member couldn't even check in much less move through the forum without long delays, I just gave up on trying.
Looks like to me, more money could be made selling scanners AND memberships to RR and don't forget the software to be sold.

For most of the people that listen to those scanner feeds if a law was passed that shut down online scanners then the ones with the cell phones would just delete the app and move along and the ones that listen in on there computers would either get use to it or buy a scanner, a subscription and software. Yes, I think the online feeds are ruining it for the scanner hobbyist.

Eddited to add, What do you think would happen if the scanner hobbyist was able to monitor the cell phone folks that listen to online scanner feeds and would the computer online listeners like it if we were listening to there cordless telephones, I think not. Well you see what happened with cell phones and cordless phones that use to be open to scanner listeners. They encrypted them so to speak, took the cell phone band out of scanners and made cordless telephones to where they can't be monitored. So that tells me when the public safety people get tired of the online feeds, they will show us by encrypting everything and saying to themselves now monitor this.

Pro 106, Win500 PSREdit500 ARC500

Last edited by RomeRon; 01-04-2012 at 11:50 AM..

Tags