RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > The RadioReference Tavern > Rants

Rants I'm mad as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-26-2011, 9:55 PM

In all fairness, some of the Extreme features are pretty damn neat, and worthy of paying extra for.

That being said, being able to enter a list of frequencies via the front panel, and the ability to do a simple limit search are not advanced features. This is basic scanner functionality, and should be included by default.
Sponsored links
Old 12-26-2011, 10:29 PM
Master of my domain
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by t_shuffle View Post
In all fairness, some of the Extreme features are pretty damn neat, and worthy of paying extra for.

That being said, being able to enter a list of frequencies via the front panel, and the ability to do a simple limit search are not advanced features. This is basic scanner functionality, and should be included by default.
But the HP-1 was never meant to be a "Basic scanner" in the first place, these features were not envisioned as part of it since the concept was to be totally different than that of "basic scanners" such as the other Uniden or GRE products.

It was intended as a totally new concept, and for those who had not been exposed to scanners as we know them, so the features most of us take for granted were not included. It was only after the traditional scanner market started to embrace the HP-1 that the radio was retrofitted with some of the features the scanner community was used to.

It would be like adding an cassette player to a current model car.
Old 01-28-2012, 3:54 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Default wow what's all the fuss about...

I was fortunate enough to find out about the extreme upgrade BEFORE it was released ; by pre-purchasing it I got it for half the price, but I would have gladly paid full price for all of the added features.

Bottom line, if you don't like it, don't buy it. Sounds like buyer's remorse to me. IMHO of course.

Rusty
Old 01-28-2012, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ve3wva View Post
I was fortunate enough to find out about the extreme upgrade BEFORE it was released ; by pre-purchasing it I got it for half the price, but I would have gladly paid full price for all of the added features.

Bottom line, if you don't like it, don't buy it. Sounds like buyer's remorse to me. IMHO of course.

Rusty
Bottom line for me is that I didn't do my homework thoroughly enough. The Internet is full of articles and videos all touting what the HP can do, but you've got to dig quite a bit to find out what it can't do. I made the mistake of assuming that a $500 Uniden scanner would natively allow me to enter a list of frequencies if I was away from home and my computer, and to simply search a frequency range like every scanner made since we quit using crystals.
Old 04-25-2012, 7:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackj View Post
This $100 fee for the 'key' to the extra features is pure profit for Uniden. This is dishonest bordering on criminal.

A company that does this will never again get my business.
LMAO..

Tell that to /\/\ and Harris..

You can turn a $2000 radio into a $4500 radio just by enabling and disabling bits to enable/disable different options...

Now, times that by the 1500+ radios that they sell at a time, to a PS agency...
Sponsored links