RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > The RadioReference Tavern > Rants

Rants I'm mad as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-12-2012, 11:58 AM

Default Maybe do some background checks on feed providers

Why do you guys allow a person to have a feed if they don't even know how to program a radio let alone run a feed? This feed i have been watching (trying to listen to)

Peel Police, Fire and EMS Peel Police, Fire and EMS Live Scanner Audio Feed

I think its great that some one wants to run a feed for the site, but they should have some understanding on how to work/program a radio much less run a live audio feed...

The feed is online now but as usual is nothing but dead air and let me tell you before you jump all over me, that feed should be popping with Peel Police and EMS they are always busy, a 5 minute break is unheard off except maybe at 3am, I have it now on Winamp and nothing for 10 minutes and yet i have heard 7 calls on Peel police on my own radio...

Maybe something the admins can look into...
Old 02-12-2012, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrome69 View Post
Why do you guys allow a person to have a feed if they don't even know how to program a radio let alone run a feed? This feed i have been watching (trying to listen to)

I think its great that some one wants to run a feed for the site, but they should have some understanding on how to work/program a radio much less run a live audio feed...

The feed is online now but as usual is nothing but dead air and let me tell you before you jump all over me, that feed should be popping with Peel Police and EMS they are always busy, a 5 minute break is unheard off except maybe at 3am, I have it now on Winamp and nothing for 10 minutes and yet i have heard 7 calls on Peel police on my own radio...

And that background check would be checked against what - the National Hobbyist Scanner Proficiency Database ? Maybe you've got a 100 question test that the admins would have time to administer and grade......
Old 02-12-2012, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCO View Post
And that background check would be checked against what - the National Hobbyist Scanner Proficiency Database ? Maybe you've got a 100 question test that the admins would have time to administer and grade......
lol... Not that extreme but they could come up with something minor that a newbie wouldn't know but someone with common knowledge would know. When they apply ask them a question or 2 and if they answer both wrong then deny the feed..
Old 02-12-2012, 12:38 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Location: In a house along a busy road in Mercer County, Farrell, Pa.

LOL..... Then what would it cost to join the RR site? Let be for real. Why not just extend the delay for a broadcast so it can't be used for criminal activity? Well then good citizens wouldn't be able to lend a helping hand like they do! It doesn't matter one way or the other as it is a double edge knife... I knw when I don't have my scanner with me (which isn't very often) I am listening to my live feed on my cell phone. I want to know what is going on around me. Which brings me to another pet peeve. If you are a good American you own a gun, right? Do you have a concealed carry permit? If you don't you should and along with that you should carry a scanner with you. That way you are safe and can get the hell out of the area if something is going on. However if "BAD" comes your way you are also ready to take action and just maybe save your life and anyone else that is within your aura!
This is just my 2 cents, now bash the hell out of my way of thinking. "Come on, make my day!"
Old 02-12-2012, 12:40 PM

I'm sure it's frustrating (had a similar situation), but really with volunteer services the admins are going to need something really solid to deny a feed. You'd think that just getting a feed up and running would be at least the first "hurdle" - if they can read the instructions for doing that..............

Have you contacted the feed provider and offered any constructive suggestions - the info states that they are new to the hobby..
Sponsored links
Old 02-12-2012, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wv_mountaineer View Post
LOL..... Then what would it cost to join the RR site? Let be for real. Why not just extend the delay for a broadcast so it can't be used for criminal activity? Well then good citizens wouldn't be able to lend a helping hand like they do! It doesn't matter one way or the other as it is a double edge knife... I knw when I don't have my scanner with me (which isn't very often) I am listening to my live feed on my cell phone. I want to know what is going on around me. Which brings me to another pet peeve. If you are a good American you own a gun, right? Do you have a concealed carry permit? If you don't you should and along with that you should carry a scanner with you. That way you are safe and can get the hell out of the area if something is going on. However if "BAD" comes your way you are also ready to take action and just maybe save your life and anyone else that is within your aura!
This is just my 2 cents, now bash the hell out of my way of thinking. "Come on, make my day!"
And this has what to do with the original topic?
Old 02-12-2012, 1:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wv_mountaineer View Post
Someone needs to ajust the tin foil hat.
Old 02-12-2012, 1:18 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Chrome69 Hows about you volunteer for that background check first. :-p
Old 02-12-2012, 1:35 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFPM571 View Post
Someone needs to ajust the tin foil hat.
Does a Whacko's Paranoia cause them to gravitate to scanners?
Or do a few unstable scanner hobbyists turn into Paranoid Whackos.
Which came first?
Sponsored links
Old 02-12-2012, 1:43 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Why not reach out to the provider to offer assistance? That's how I got to the level of understanding I'm at. I am by no means a pro and my feed isn't 100%. Yes the person hosting the feed my be a bump on a log however, no one knows unless you ask.

Scanner Radio User http://www.facebook.com/scannerradio
Old 02-12-2012, 2:27 PM

Create your owl Scanner Link and call it.....................
The Real Peel Police, Fire and EMS scanner feed.
Old 02-12-2012, 2:32 PM

Did you read his feed note section ?

Quote:
Hello, I am new to the scanner world. I just bought a BCD396XT and am currently setting it up. I don't know very much about programming my scanner, but am very eager to learn.
cut the guy some slack.
Old 02-12-2012, 2:59 PM
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin

Moved to rants..

Quote:

Look into what and why? How about you reach out to him and help him along? It seems to me if it's really that beneficial for you to listen to the feed the least you could do is help the guy.

Forum Rules and Guidelines

Last edited by scannerfreak; 02-12-2012 at 3:01 PM..
Old 02-12-2012, 9:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scannerfreak View Post
Moved to rants..

Look into what and why? How about you reach out to him and help him along? It seems to me if it's really that beneficial for you to listen to the feed the least you could do is help the guy.
I have reached out 2 times with zero reply.
Old 02-12-2012, 9:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by webstar22 View Post
Chrome69 Hows about you volunteer for that background check first. :-p
LOL you would be rather surprised what you would find under my background check....
Old 02-13-2012, 4:21 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Somehow, I don't think RR wants to become the feed police.
Old 02-14-2012, 10:02 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:

Why do you care about the feed if you have your own radio?
Old 02-17-2012, 4:42 PM
Completely Banned for the Greater Good
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

"Somehow, I don't think RR wants to become the feed police."

Inspirational... Frank Zappa - Who Are The Brain Police 1966 - YouTube
Old 05-27-2012, 6:47 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Background check? Thats one of the DUMBEST things I've heard yet. So what if the feed has dead air, crap happens. My feed gets dead air once in a while while I'm not home and the cat walks across the power strip and turns off the scanner, it's a technical glitch and they happen, and no I'm not keeping my cat from his favorite sleeping spot over a scanner either. Lending my bandwith and equipment for a audio feed is out of the kindness of my heart and is using MY resources, so if a feed isn't up to par for you, then you fork over a few hundred for a good digital scanner and set one up, or shut your pie hole and go **** yourself.

And no it's not my feed in question.....

Last edited by Viking1; 05-27-2012 at 6:50 PM..
Old 05-27-2012, 7:00 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Um, if a feed isn't up to one's expectations, no one is forcing you to listen.....