RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > The RadioReference Tavern > Rants

Rants I'm mad as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-01-2012, 4:51 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Thumbs down Wayne County Michigan Skywarn AWOL as always

Enjoy the video:

Detroit, Michigan Wayne county skywarn is AWOL! - YouTube
Old 07-01-2012, 5:14 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I don't get it.
Nothing to report right? No damage, no tornado on the ground. Served agency not requesting anything, and your complaining because people arent being windbags tying up a dozen repeaters over the state with "it's raining here" mothball reports, or asking for repeats of weather reports widely available on commercial broadcast or NOAA weather radio?

Sounds like an efficiently run system to me. Nothing to report, so why babble about nothing (which ties up the repeaters so people with traffic can't get through).

I suggest you come to north Georgia, specifically Atlanta, where the NWS activates when nothing is happening, and every ovemodulated bucket mouth deems it necessary to report every drop of rain or lightning crash within 30 miles, tying up repeater resources statewide with absolutely NOTHING of substance. Or worse yet, the net control simulcasts every weather watch endlessly, tying up repeaters in Atlanta with thunderstorm watches in Waycross. Nevermind it's all over every TV, radio and Internet alert, or NOAA weather radio (which most all 2 meter rigs can easily tune to if you want weather alerts and warnings)

I'd take quiet when there is a non event occurring anyday, but that's just me. The purpose of nets is to pass TRAFFIC. If there is no TRAFFIC, it should be quiet!
Old 07-01-2012, 5:21 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Over modulated bucket mouth? You sound like a CB'er with an axe to grind.
Old 07-01-2012, 5:35 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Uh, scuse me? You know me?
FWIW, I've been a licensed, active ham since Reagan was in office. Look it up in your fall 1986 call book. KB4TPP

Now that we have this out of the way, the only one who appears to have an axe to grind would be yourself.

So back to your issue that you raised, what is the problem with the lack of radio traffic. Was there any damage to report, funnel clouds sighted, winds in excess of 40mph, hail larger than dime sized, or trees down?

In your video, nothing but calm overcast skies observed in your vicinity. So again, the problem is what?
Old 07-01-2012, 5:49 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

The problem is that there was a warning issued in my County, by the NWS and local Skywarn is not active at all. I said that in my video. Listening is fundamental in understanding. Try it sometime, before you pontificate.
Old 07-01-2012, 6:03 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Angry

Furthermore, here is the local radar loop here.

NWS radar image loop of Composite Reflectivity from Detroit, MI

Still storms in Monroe, Michigan.

The attitude of the Skywarn people here is, if it is not in Downtown Detroit or the northern suburbs, they do not give a rats behind about it.

Why there needs to be a massive reform of Wayne County Michigan Races and ARES and SKYWARN.

I've said that for years and will continue to say it till the day I die.

I've gotten death threats for saying it. Let them try and kill me for it. I own guns.

73 de Chuck K8CPA
Old 07-01-2012, 6:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K8CPA View Post
The problem is that there was a warning issued
A warning? As in one?

Hardly something to get anything activated over. Sometimes they don't even do a TV crawl for one warning.
Old 07-01-2012, 6:41 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
The problem is that there was a warning issued in my County, by the NWS and local Skywarn is not active at all. I said that in my video. Listening is fundamental in understanding. Try it sometime, before you pontificate.
I listened to your video. Nothing to see here. As in your post. Your complaining about a lack of radio traffic for a non-event. This is about as absurd as starting a thread with a YouTube video of a screen shot of a scanner tuned to a fireground channel and complaining you don't hear anything when...wait for it...there is NO FIRE.
Old 07-01-2012, 6:49 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Furthermore, here is the local radar loop here.

NWS radar image loop of Composite Reflectivity from Detroit, MI

Still storms in Monroe, Michigan.

The attitude of the Skywarn people here is, if it is not in Downtown Detroit or the northern suburbs, they do not give a rats behind about it.

Why there needs to be a massive reform of Wayne County Michigan Races and ARES and SKYWARN.

I've said that for years and will continue to say it till the day I die.

I've gotten death threats for saying it. Let them try and kill me for it. I own guns.

73 de Chuck K8CPA
Do you know what the purpose of SKYWARN is how it relates to the amateur radio service?

It isn't a roundtable discussion net.

It's for soliciting severe weather reports to the local NWS office. Not to jawjack and say it's raining in my backyard, nor to simulcast NOAA WX radio. It's as simple as that.

Have you ever taken any NWS storm spotter classes? Are you a NWS certified storm spotter? If so, then you know what is report worthy and what isn't. Just because warnings are issued doesn't mean one has to get on the radio and take over the repeater or linked system and declare "IT'S RAINING. LET'S DO SOMETHING"

Are you part of the solution, or part of the problem?
Old 07-01-2012, 6:50 PM
Lead Wiki Manager
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

So, have you contacted anybody with Wayne County ARES or RACES to find out what their Skywarn net activation procedure is? Have you contacted the Warning Coordination Meteorologist at the Detroit/Pontiac NWS office to see if Skywarn is being activated by their office?

Every NWS office operates a bit differently. If the WCM or the forecaster on duty doesn't see the need to activate Skywarn, that's their call. If the local Skywarn group chooses to not activate unless requested by the NWS, that also is their call.

Oh, by the way, it is an FCC rule to identify your transmissions. I'll assume that you identified on both repeaters after you stopped the recording.

"The whole world's living in a digital dream. It's not really there, it's all on the screen." -- Joe Walsh WB6ACU
Old 07-02-2012, 9:50 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Talking

Whatever guys. I got a message from N8ZSA and to answer his message. No I will NOT stop talking about "YOUR" group as you called it sir. I will continue to talk about it, until there is a SWEEPING reform and a removal of the "good old boys" network in southeastern Michigan.

A group of thieves who helped themselves to a bunch of commercial radios, when this state went digital.

I know all about it, and when the right times comes; I'm spilling the beans to the right people.

Can't wait to see the headlines.

73 de Chuck K8CPA

Last edited by scannerfreak; 07-02-2012 at 10:47 AM..
Old 07-02-2012, 10:06 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Over modulated bucket mouth? You sound like a CB'er with an axe to grind.
Hi, Pot! It's kettle, I'm black!
Old 07-02-2012, 10:52 AM
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin

Moved to Rants..

Forum Rules and Guidelines
Old 07-02-2012, 11:00 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default Wanna bee

K8cpa is nothing more than a wanna bee who has poor radio operating skills. That is why he was asked to stay off our repeater system. He is not intelligent enough to understand that NWS activates us we do not self activate. It is hard to activate for sudden shall we say popcorn storms. Also he was instructed not to key our system up due to him being a poor operator or shall we dumb it down (he was a bad boy). So what dose this intelligent individual do he posts a video on you tube kerchuncking our system. This is what you get when you just study the answers for the test and not study the material. Now it is unfortunate there was storm damage from these individual cells that passed through. We at MICON can not help or change that. National weather Service is who we answer to not K8CPA .
Old 07-02-2012, 11:07 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamx2 View Post
Hi, Pot! It's kettle, I'm black!
I don't operate CB radio. I have not since about the late 1990's. In fact, this Kenwood rarely, if ever, goes above 40 meters anymore.

If I had the room around here; I'd be on 160 all the time. (mostly in the winter...)

and my 2 meter box? It's sits on 146.52 simplex.
Old 07-02-2012, 12:05 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I will fully agree with MTS2000des on this one...
Old 07-02-2012, 12:15 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Whatever guys. I got a message from N8ZSA and to answer his message. No I will NOT stop talking about "YOUR" group as you called it sir. I will continue to talk about it, until there is a SWEEPING reform and a removal of the "good old boys" network in southeastern Michigan.

A group of thieves who helped themselves to a bunch of commercial radios, when this state went digital.

I know all about it, and when the right times comes; I'm spilling the beans to the right people.

Can't wait to see the headlines.

73 de Chuck K8CPA

Wow, what an amazing bunch of mud slinging. Chuck, you may feel the need to activate a Skywarn net, but
the fact of the matter is, the kind and trained professionals at the NWS office are the ones who make that call. When they want help with information, then they are the ones that call for that help. We can't force that help
on them.

You sir sound like many of the people I have met that are not wise enough to understand that sometimes there
is more to the picture than what you see, and that there are people who have a responsability to their job as
a public service agent who have to make these decisions. There is a reason that we only have a few Chiefs who
get to make that decision. No matter how educated you may think you are, and how much more you know
about the weather over what those in charge at the NWS think, you were not hired to do the job.

If you do not like the way that they ask for help, I would think that you would get results more to your liking if you
were to present yourself as a qualified candidate for a job at the NWS where you could then get yourself into
a position where you would be able to make that call for help from weather spotters. It would in fact seem to me
that making YouTube videos about how poor these people do their jobs would in fact be counter productive
to that point.

Incidentally, not all weather spotting reports these days happen on amateur repeaters.
Old 07-02-2012, 6:04 PM

What exactly was the point of starting this topic? Why would you waste our time and your time by making a video, starting this thread, and ranting in relation to said video only to remove it in less than a day?

What's the point?
Old 07-02-2012, 11:14 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Well he pulled it down since he was told not to use the MICON Repeater by us and the FCC.. yet in his video one can clearly see he "kerkunks" said repeater... And doesn't ID his station properly.. It's ok.. we saved a copy for the FCC just incase he "pulled" it down..

K8CPA Keying up a Repeater he was told by the owners and FCC Not too. - YouTube
Old 07-03-2012, 4:05 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by w8fsm View Post
Well he pulled it down since he was told not to use the MICON Repeater by us and the FCC.. yet in his video one can clearly see he "kerkunks" said repeater... And doesn't ID his station properly.. It's ok.. we saved a copy for the FCC just incase he "pulled" it down..

K8CPA Keying up a Repeater he was told by the owners and FCC Not too. - YouTube
I kind of figured that was the real story, of someone being told something they didn't like and not getting their way. LOL
Most of the rants are of the 'I don't agree with you, so you must be wrong' type.

Last edited by K3HY; 07-03-2012 at 4:27 AM..

Tags
lousy hams, skywarn, storms