RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > The RadioReference Tavern > Rants

Rants I'm mad as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-15-2012, 4:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zz0468 View Post
Walmart didn't create the problem by using MURS. That is within their rights. The mature solution for this is for the OP to just pick a different channel, and not confront Walmart about it, especially on their property, which is anywhere in the parking lot and anywhere inside the store.
that was the 2nd problem we did not even get a chance nor did anyone even ask us to change the channel, we didnt even know who the heck they was until the cops were there asking him questions, this was a walmart started issue ,any questions we tried to ask was just to bad. cops told him to shut up everytime wanting to arrest him very badly. basically boils down to walmart throwing around its power showing what they can and will do if they get the chance." why pay for a business liscense when you can OWN free 5 channels"
Sponsored links
Old 07-15-2012, 5:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phreakin318 View Post
...we didnt even know who the heck they was until the cops were there asking him questions, this was a walmart started issue ,any questions we tried to ask was just to bad. cops told him to shut up everytime wanting to arrest him very badly.
I just can't help but feel that there's a whole lot more to the story than is being presented.

Quote:
basically boils down to walmart throwing around its power showing what they can and will do if they get the chance."
And there's no doubt that Walmart engages in that sort of behavior. That's what got them where they are. I choose not to ever shop there because of some of their business practices.

Quote:
why pay for a business liscense when you can OWN free 5 channels"
Seems to me that all parties involved should make themselves familiar with FCC rules concerning MURS operation. Walmart is operating within the scope of the intended purposes of MURS, being as it's a business, although they have no right to claim "ownership" of the channels.

And when on their property, it would be prudent to not make such a nuisance of oneself that the police need to be called. I strongly doubt it was merely the fact that your friend was on the same channel. Something else happened that hasn't been presented here.
Old 07-15-2012, 5:26 PM
The Third Variable
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin

As a parent, I know that sometimes you have to pick your battles.

Sometimes it is just better to let my daughter sleep in her princess dress up clothes instead of battling all night to get hair in proper attire...

I have personally dealt with the situation at hand. Last fall when I was moving cross country, I programmed two HT's for MURS and we used them between cars on the highway as my wife is not a licensed ham.

When we found one of the channels to be occupied, we moved to a different channel... pretty simple.

And if I am not mistaken, there is a stipulation in the law that states that when an existing channel is in use, you are not allowed to interfere with them...

Seriously, this is a pretty stupid squabble.
Old 07-15-2012, 5:38 PM

Quote:
I just can't help but feel that there's a whole lot more to the story than is being presented.

were thinking the same thing, BUT if ask them any questions or try to explain anything its basically shut up or go to jail.

And there's no doubt that Walmart engages in that sort of behavior. That's what got them where they are. I choose not to ever shop there because of some of their business practices.

good decision

Seems to me that all parties involved should make themselves familiar with FCC rules concerning MURS operation. Walmart is operating within the scope of the intended purposes of MURS, being as it's a business, although they have no right to claim "ownership" of the channels.

thats the whole problem they are saying they "own" all 5 murs channels and no matter which we use we will be arrested

And when on their property, it would be prudent to not make such a nuisance of oneself that the police need to be called. I strongly doubt it was merely the fact that your friend was on the same channel. Something else happened that hasn't been presented here.
supposedly the reason they called the cops was because "he looked suspicious" haveing the ear piece on.
Old 07-15-2012, 5:50 PM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burner50 View Post
As a parent, I know that sometimes you have to pick your battles.

Sometimes it is just better to let my daughter sleep in her princess dress up clothes instead of battling all night to get hair in proper attire...

I have personally dealt with the situation at hand. Last fall when I was moving cross country, I programmed two HT's for MURS and we used them between cars on the highway as my wife is not a licensed ham.

When we found one of the channels to be occupied, we moved to a different channel... pretty simple.

And if I am not mistaken, there is a stipulation in the law that states that when an existing channel is in use, you are not allowed to interfere with them...

Seriously, this is a pretty stupid squabble.
we had been useing the channels for the past 30+ miles, and don't matter if your a business or not ,all rules apply the same for everyone on murs channels.its the attitude and the words of a supposed manager "we own these channels" "get off our frequencies", now if they would have said "this is walmart useing THIS channel, could you plz change channels" it would have been over rite then, oh and something i failed to put earlier, we did change channels and was followed to a diff murs channel , and plus how do we even know if it was really walmart or someone else?as i said there was at least 6-7 other people talking , i'm beginning to think that maybe some1 was messing with them and they just seen him with the ear piece but either way he didnt have a chance to say anything.
Sponsored links
Old 07-15-2012, 6:47 PM
Completely Banned for the Greater Good
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

"Seriously, this is a pretty stupid squabble."

Yeah, but dead horses don't care how long they're beaten.
Old 07-19-2012, 11:16 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

On Walmart property they de facto DO own the channels.
The range is so limited that they only cover the store and a bit past, nothing more.
This is ideal for Wal Mart, self limiting to the range they need.
Shoplifters use the same frequencies to do their thing as well but listen more than anything.
However in any case, you need to be ON Wal Mart property to be anything of a problem, THEIR property.
They CAN ask you to leave for pretty much any reason.
FCC rules say that MURS is shared but nothing about entry onto private property.
If Wal Mart says no MURS, they are totally within their rights.
So the Wal Mart manager simply needs to say that your radios are prohibited on Wal Mart property and be done with it.
Old 10-24-2012, 2:40 AM

As per FCC MURS has following restrictions,
"In the United States and her territories, the only entities prohibited from using the MURS two-way radio frequencies are foreign governments and their representatives. MURS units may not be connected to the public telephone network and may not be used for store and forward operations. Use of repeaters is not permitted except under the circumstance where you have maintained an active MURS frequencies business license prior to and since the FCC rules change in 2002. Under those conditions your license is grandfathered in.

Other restrictions on MURS include limits on transmitter power levels and antenna height. A MURS frequencies two-way radio may transmit at a maximum 2-watts of power: "No MURS unit, under any conditions of modulation, shall exceed 2-watts of transmitter output", FCC.gov. As for antennas, use of external antennas are permitted so long as they are not placed more than 60 feet above ground or 20 feet above the highest point on the structure to which they are mounted. The good news on external antenna use is that it can increase the range of your MURS 2-way radio communications as much as 10 miles or more! Perfect for that outdoor base camp that needs to stay connected to other sub-camps out in the wild, wild wherever!"
Coming back to the topic " Can you use MURS Frequency in WalMart Stores ? " . Legally NO, if they have set a conditions of entry in their stores that MURS Frequency cannot be use. IT should be in clear view. Also Very Important factor in Use of MURS is taking reasonable precaution to avoid interference to other on going conversation... BUT if the channel is Free ( listening for a MIN or so) you can transmit and walmart have to wait for you conversation to be finished irrespective where you are in the store or near the store, as no party has exclusive right of any channels in MURS and WHY Walmart does not change channels? after all its is not licensed channels. If any one is Stopped from entering the store becouse of using of MURS frequency ...... Walmart store has a fair bit of explanation to do and no matter how big they are as a retailer they cannot bend rules. If they want to "owing the channel" get a Licence band.
Old 10-24-2012, 8:33 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

HAHA I hate walmart. Years ago we lived near one and for fun I bought one of those radio shack repeaters that just recorded your radio traffic then repeated it after you where done and then I hooked it up to a radio set to walmart and left it on for a few days. Man were they mad as hell. I heard them a few times saying this is a walmart channel please stop using it. LOL those were the days. I really hate walmart
Sponsored links
Old 10-24-2012, 8:50 PM

actually i did some research....... that post is misleading.......

"Store and Forward" is referring to Repeaters

i retract my comment, and am self editing it

now Owais DOES have a point about if a channel is in the clear for a min or so, THEY DO have to respect the fact that they ( Walmart as a whole, employees and ALL ) do not "OWN" those channels, and MUST respect that if you are on the same channel inadvertently, THEY CANNOT force you off.

i did find this website: http://home.provide.net/~prsg/murs_f...0%&height=100%

which is pretty much a FAQ's and does contain all the rules and reg's for MURS

OOOOORAH!!

Last edited by CapStar362; 10-24-2012 at 9:27 PM..
Old 10-24-2012, 10:48 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

whatever its call not a real repeater it was funny as all hell. I had a blast with that thing.
Old 10-25-2012, 12:03 AM

Since we are talking about the restriction on MURS channels , one of the restriction is the transmit time, as per the regulations it should be brief as possible, it does not give a upper or lower time limit on transmit time (ambiguous ), the MURS Rules [95.1307(a)] permit the transmission of voice or data signals. The Rules do not address the issue of transmitting music or other sounds (ambiguous) . How ever CW mode is prohibited. Here is the complete MURS FFC rules MURS Final Rules
MURS is a shared, No one owns exclusive right to channel(s). WalMart Uses these for there business which is fair how ever they have to accept that there will be other users on those channels and some one needs to tell them (No one can arrest you for speaking on MURS channels, even on there property unless they have a Condition of Entry that sates that MURS FREQUENCY IS UNDER THEIR EXCLUSIVE USE AND CANNOT BE USED BY ANY ONE ELSE, OFCOUSE THAT WILL BE IN VIOLATION OF FCC WHO ARE THE AUTHORITY ON FREQUENCY SHARING) ie even if they post that MURS cannot be use in there store, that can even be contested.
Old 10-25-2012, 10:48 AM

i "like" walmart to a certain extent...... but their staff with the exception of a few in my local walmart can goto hell

OOOOORAH!!
Old 10-25-2012, 2:53 PM

i found the eCFR for MURS directly on the FCC website:

eCFR — Code of Federal Regulations

OOOOORAH!!
Old 10-25-2012, 4:44 PM
Completely Banned for the Greater Good
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Ordinarily I don't give a crap but since this dead thread was resurrected with misinformation a correction is due.

"Store and Forward" is referring to Repeaters"

No, the term applies to systems that record, store and retransmit messages such as Amateur packet radio and APRS. There was however a short lived digital voice store and forward device that djones used to jam Walmart frequencies. It was designed to be used with VHF/UHF Amateur equipment as a simplex repeater or parrot as we called them, the idea being to extend the range of mobiles and portables similar to a standard semi-duplex repeater. The difference being instead of repeating transmissions live one frequency to another rather it digitally recorded short transmissions and repeated them on the same frequency, simplex operation. They fell out of favor rather quickly because once discovered we'd play parrot with them, the owners didn't like that very much. (;->)

Oh, I hope the Statute of Limitations expired on that Walmart adventure. I'm reminded of that fat sheriff with one dark and one clear lens in the old TV commercial walking up and saying "Yo in a heap o' trouble boy." (;->)
Sponsored links

Old 12-28-2012, 3:34 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

it really doesn't "legally" matter...

Murs is part97 and weather walmart likes it or not they don't own the channels, no not even on their own property, and by the way..... 2 watts is actually quite a bit of power if used correctly.

Regardless the fact of the matter is that most people are ignorant, we just need to live with that.. more so is that the police are quite ignorant (not all, but certainly every one I've personally met). If walmart is using the radio and the police show up they will just assume your ****ing with them.

Just leave walmart alone, get an frs radio or a ham license and use the 2meter band. Its just safer and easier than screwing around with Murs and dealing with the crap.

So... recap: Legally they can't do ****... but technically an ignorant officer will enforce a non-existent law
Old 12-28-2012, 4:18 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by KR0SIV View Post

Murs is part97 and weather walmart likes it or not they don't own the channels, no not even on their own property, and by the way..... 2 watts is actually quite a bit of power if used correctly.

Regardless the fact of the matter is that most people are ignorant, we just need to live with that.. more so is that the police are quite ignorant (not all, but certainly every one I've personally met). If walmart is using the radio and the police show up they will just assume your ****ing with them.

Just leave walmart alone, get an frs radio or a ham license and use the 2meter band. Its just safer and easier than screwing around with Murs and dealing with the crap.

So... recap: Legally they can't do ****... but technically an ignorant officer will enforce a non-existent law

you said it perfectly !!! i will not shop at any walmart anymore and also moved on to other bands(except when i am near a walmart with a friend then we will chat on murs just because we can)
Old 12-28-2012, 4:30 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Thanks Phreakin318,

Honestly this whole thing proves how cheap these bastards are.... They make more money than most businesses in the country and yet, they resort to a free use part97 radio band. It's just sad.
Old 12-28-2012, 4:45 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by KR0SIV View Post

Exactly my thoughts. Just because the cop would be completely wrong and outside the law to arrest you for using the MURS frequency that probably won't stop a cop or two from doing it. Nevermind cops don't enforce FCC law, they can still haul you for trespass.

Cops can arrest you and make some random law fit for justification. They have no burden to prove that you broke a law prior to arrest (as there are essentially no repercussions) , that's what court is for.

Once you've landed yourself in front of a judge, it's going to cost you money to prove you're innocent and you're almost guaranteed to never see that money again.

Arrested (even wrongly) usually means you lost. Know the rules, know the law and know how it can be used against you even if you're innocent.
Old 12-28-2012, 6:59 PM
Mentor
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Wirelessly posted (Moto Droid Bionic: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 4.0.4; en-us; DROID BIONIC Build/6.7.2-223_DBN_M4-23) AppleWebKit/534.30 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/534.30)

Yawn... tempest in a teapot.

Tags
pwn4g3!!!, ticking time bomb