RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > The RadioReference Tavern > Rants

Rants I'm mad as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-24-2012, 2:23 PM

Default I believe in literacy.

Or at least some attempt at it.

When you post in gibberish, you make yourself look like a fool.

Spelling really isn't that hard.
Sponsored links
Old 07-24-2012, 7:27 PM

I agree
Old 07-24-2012, 7:56 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Wirelessly posted (Clacking rocks together: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.4; en-us; DROID X2 Build/4.5.1A-DTN-150-30) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

Wellcum 2 2012.
But you have my vote on this.
Old 07-24-2012, 8:27 PM
Completely Banned for the Greater Good
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

"Spelling really isn't that hard."
Not when you have a spelling checker but don't expect it to correct your mistakes when you stumble around antidisestablismentarianism. Heh, that looks funny underlined in red and I KNOW the spelling is correct.

What most don't recognize is grammar, mine does at least know the difference between its and it's. That brings me to the apostrophe, not the Frank Zappa album. Frankly I'd like to unload some WMDs on WMD's, like what do they posses anyway?

I could go on ad infinitum (darn spell checker wants infinitude) about the RR forums but I'll tell you one thing; I haven't seen so many errors on the HAM forums. (evil grin with horns) OK, we're generally an older crowd, when we went to school we actually learned something because there was none of this no child left behind crap, if we failed a subject WE WERE LEFT BEHIND and repeated the year!

Rant off / humor on.

I remember Bubba, the only 40yo in 6th grade. (;->)
Old 07-24-2012, 9:07 PM

Spell checkers often err. They don't check for context between words like reed and read or red and read or there, their and they're. But if you have any pride at all, you proofread your posts and correct errors. I'm a horrible typist and make as many errors as not, but I make an effort to catch most of them.

Some of the crap I see posted out there should be dealt with. It should not be allowed. It makes the whole board look bad; as if it's populated by a bunch of uneducated, illiterate morons who don't care about themselves or others.

And I don't care if you're on a phone or any other form of portable device.
Sponsored links
Old 07-24-2012, 9:07 PM

Duplicate post, web glitch.

Last edited by Confuzzled; 07-24-2012 at 9:13 PM..
Old 07-25-2012, 5:34 AM
Lead Wiki Manager
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb2vxa View Post
What most don't recognize is grammar, mine does at least know the difference between its and it's.
Punctuation seems to be a major stumbling block with some folks. Some use it where it's not appropriate, while some use none at all. When I see a forum post that's one long run-on sentence without benefit of capitalization or punctuation, I move on to something else.

On the subject of punctuation and grammar, the following is a very funny book:

Amazon.com: Eats, Shoots & Leaves: The Zero Tolerance Approach to Punctuation (9781592402038): Lynne Truss: Books

"The whole world's living in a digital dream. It's not really there, it's all on the screen." -- Joe Walsh WB6ACU
Old 07-25-2012, 8:48 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

The English language? Hah! As someone who has spent many days in a room filled with Kiwis, Auzzies, Brits, Canuks, and 'Muricans from various states, trying to write and review standards, I wonder if the language has already evolved past any one attempt to define it.

I wish you Grammer/Spelling-Nazis peace. When you find that holy grail of a single English language, let me know.
Old 07-27-2012, 5:48 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Muricun, y'all speak MURICUN! Well, you wanted to know and now you know. Oh and BTW it's spelled Aussie but pronounced Ozzy as in Ozzy Melbourne.

"I wish you Grammer/Spelling-Nazis peace."
That's G-R-A-M-M-A-R!!!
Now rest in pieces, pax Romano, Romano cheese, Dominoe's Pizza... aaa-mennn.
Sponsored links
Old 07-27-2012, 6:13 PM

Default Grammar?

She's in the kitchen bakin' ccokies.
Old 07-27-2012, 7:29 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos

Quote:
Muricun, y'all speak MURICUN! Well, you wanted to know and now you know. Oh and BTW it's spelled Aussie but pronounced Ozzy as in Ozzy Melbourne.

"I wish you Grammer/Spelling-Nazis peace."
That's G-R-A-M-M-A-R!!!
Now rest in pieces, pax Romano, Romano cheese, Dominoe's Pizza... aaa-mennn.
lol! you got a MILLION of em
'54 Hallicrafters SX-88 #127; Icoms R71A&R75, on a Wellbrook ALA1530s+ loop @ 50'
RS Pro 2066 in truck to glass mount tribander
Old 07-28-2012, 2:01 AM
Lead Wiki Manager
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridgescan View Post
you got a MILLION of em
Here's here all week. Try the veal.

"The whole world's living in a digital dream. It's not really there, it's all on the screen." -- Joe Walsh WB6ACU
Old 07-28-2012, 8:55 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

You're listening to KB2VXA, where the hits just keep on coming.
Old 09-01-2012, 6:47 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

If you want to hear English spoken (and see it written) correctly, try working at the United Nations.

I worked there as an audio technician in the 1990's and the diplomats there impressed me with their command of the English language.

This is probably because many, if not most, of them attended the finest schools around the world. In addition, they know, more than most, that every word in these negotiated documents must be precise and that even small infractions of the language rules can COMPLETELY change the meaning of said documents.

Made me feel like a dunce, really.

http://forums.radioreference.com/eve...t-slogans.html
Old 09-01-2012, 8:04 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimru View Post
If you want to hear English spoken (and see it written) correctly, try working at the United Nations.

I worked there as an audio technician in the 1990's and the diplomats there impressed me with their command of the English language.

This is probably because many, if not most, of them attended the finest schools around the world. In addition, they know, more than most, that every word in these negotiated documents must be precise and that even small infractions of the language rules can COMPLETELY change the meaning of said documents.

Made me feel like a dunce, really.
That's cool!!
'54 Hallicrafters SX-88 #127; Icoms R71A&R75, on a Wellbrook ALA1530s+ loop @ 50'
RS Pro 2066 in truck to glass mount tribander
Sponsored links
Old 09-01-2012, 11:57 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridgescan View Post
That's cool!!
Yeah, it was fun and interesting work.

Old 09-02-2012, 7:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimru View Post
In addition, they know, more than most, that every word in these negotiated documents must be precise and that even small infractions of the language rules can COMPLETELY change the meaning of said documents.
That's one of the points I try to get across in these threads. Just a small slip can alter the meaning.

It can also alter the reader's/listener's opinion of the writer/speaker. I know I tend to skip over poorly written posts and end up ignoring the poster.

Everybody makes typos, even with spell checkers which can't differentiate context of correctly spelled words or don't catch words not included in their dictionary. An occasional typo is not an issue, even though it can alter the meaning of a sentence. It's the constant lack of effort to even try to type coherently that annoys me.
Old 09-02-2012, 9:03 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
That's one of the points I try to get across in these threads. Just a small slip can alter the meaning.

It can also alter the reader's/listener's opinion of the writer/speaker. I know I tend to skip over poorly written posts and end up ignoring the poster.

Everybody makes typos, even with spell checkers which can't differentiate context of correctly spelled words or don't catch words not included in their dictionary. An occasional typo is not an issue, even though it can alter the meaning of a sentence. It's the constant lack of effort to even try to type coherently that annoys me.
Well, my philosophy is this: many of the guys that are doing this know a lot more about the radio arts and sciences than I do. Often they are more than willing to share their knowledge with a newbie or an "appliance operator" such as myself.
This being the case, I don't really let the errors in spelling, punctuation and etc. bother me because they would be within their rights, I suppose, if I asked a dumb *** question about something to then chastise me for not knowing.

I would really be annoyed if this was a site devoted to writing or the language arts, but it's not, so I let it pass. I may inwardly roll my eyes sometimes, but I would never bother to correct someone's writing, unless they asked me to. I do hear what you are saying and it's not that I disagree with the point you are making. Clarity is important in any field, for sure.

I have been visiting radio related boards since regularly 1986, and I learned early on that, for some reason, many radio hobbyists are just not very good with the written word, even though they may be a whiz at electronics.

I'm not saying that the two are mutually exclusive, as there are some very good wordsmiths here on RR as well as in the magazines. However, in general terms, if I want to read great writing, I'll pick up a copy of "The New Yorker", not CQ or QST!

Old 09-03-2012, 1:40 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Er, I meant to say "regularly since 1986", in the second to last line!

Old 11-27-2012, 7:11 PM

Quote:
"Spelling really isn't that hard."
Not when you have a spelling checker but don't expect it to correct your mistakes when you stumble around antidisestablismentarianism. Heh, that looks funny underlined in red and I KNOW the spelling is correct.

What most don't recognize is grammar, mine does at least know the difference between its and it's. That brings me to the apostrophe, not the Frank Zappa album. Frankly I'd like to unload some WMDs on WMD's, like what do they posses anyway?

I could go on ad infinitum (darn spell checker wants infinitude) about the RR forums but I'll tell you one thing; I haven't seen so many errors on the HAM forums. (evil grin with horns) OK, we're generally an older crowd, when we went to school we actually learned something because there was none of this no child left behind crap, if we failed a subject WE WERE LEFT BEHIND and repeated the year!

Rant off / humor on.

I remember Bubba, the only 40yo in 6th grade. (;->)
Shouldn't there be a `h' in antidisestablismentarianism to make it antidisestablishmentarianism??