RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > The RadioReference Tavern > Rants

Rants I'm mad as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-13-2013, 3:57 PM

Angry Upset over San Bernardino Channel

As an Ex-police Officer of many years. I have followed this story pertaining to Christopher Dorner "LA Cop Killer". Yesterday, I was informed that the San Bernardino Sheriffs Office possibly had the suspect held up in a cabin in Bear Lake area. I went to ABC new channel and watched the live feed and went to listen to the radio traffic through this site (Radio Reference). I was unsuccessful to gain access to the channel on several occasions to monitor it. There was only a couple times I was able to access it. When I was able to access it, within minutes after doing so. I was kicked or the connection was lost. I would to go and attempt to bring the site up and it was informing the same info as it had on the other occasions. Needless to say I was very frustrated to not be able to listen to it. Im sure beyond a shadow of a doubt it was an overload on the server that was making this occur. I would honestly hope that Radio Reference attempts to correct this issue for future incidents such as this one yesterday on the 12th of Feb 2013. I know many others were upset over this issue, but havent spoke up about the issue as of yet. Thanks for your time! I would like to make note also, I have listen to RR on many occasions and have never dealt with an issue like this. So, I know the problem was not on my end.
Sponsored links
Old 02-14-2013, 7:16 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by billmullins View Post
As an Ex-police Officer of many years. I have followed this story pertaining to Christopher Dorner "LA Cop Killer". Yesterday, I was informed that the San Bernardino Sheriffs Office possibly had the suspect held up in a cabin in Bear Lake area. I went to ABC new channel and watched the live feed and went to listen to the radio traffic through this site (Radio Reference). I was unsuccessful to gain access to the channel on several occasions to monitor it. There was only a couple times I was able to access it. When I was able to access it, within minutes after doing so. I was kicked or the connection was lost. I would to go and attempt to bring the site up and it was informing the same info as it had on the other occasions. Needless to say I was very frustrated to not be able to listen to it. Im sure beyond a shadow of a doubt it was an overload on the server that was making this occur. I would honestly hope that Radio Reference attempts to correct this issue for future incidents such as this one yesterday on the 12th of Feb 2013. I know many others were upset over this issue, but havent spoke up about the issue as of yet. Thanks for your time! I would like to make note also, I have listen to RR on many occasions and have never dealt with an issue like this. So, I know the problem was not on my end.
The problem is fixed but the long term problem won't be fixed. ENCRYPTION is running like the wild wild west right now thru the US of A and we are all within the next 5 years going to be completely locked out after this incident. Take your nice expensive scanner and use it for a paper weight one day.

With San Bernardino new digital system going up I guaranteed this is the next county to encrypt. SUCKS
Old 02-14-2013, 8:59 PM

^ I have no idea what you're talking about, but it doesn't relate to the OP's question.

billmullins, it was just a system outage, that's all. Happens all over the web: See this thread for more: 2/12/2013 Evening Outage
Old 02-14-2013, 11:31 PM

Considering that it's a free service provided by volunteers, I thought it did a pretty good job of supporting 30,000 listeners. I think the only ones with a right to complain are all the various victims of Dorner and their families.
Old 02-15-2013, 12:23 AM
DB Admin Member
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepsima1 View Post
The problem is fixed but the long term problem won't be fixed. ENCRYPTION is running like the wild wild west right now thru the US of A and we are all within the next 5 years going to be completely locked out after this incident. Take your nice expensive scanner and use it for a paper weight one day.

With San Bernardino new digital system going up I guaranteed this is the next county to encrypt. SUCKS
There was no Encryption on my end, It worked fine on my end, I live in Washington State, my Mom lives in big bear, I was rolling down the road in the old 15 person car pool " Van" and audio was fine on my end the guys in the van could not believe that we new what was going on before it was reported on TV......To the OP here, there where lots of folks trying to hear whats was going on ,,,, with that Meany folk's trying to listen to the same thing, there was most likely some kind of of over load on the system .
lowboy654@radioreference.com
Sponsored links
Old 02-15-2013, 1:21 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux i686; U; en-US) Gecko/20081217 Vision-Browser/8.1 301x200 LG VN530)

lowboy, he wasn't saying encryption was an issue keeping people from listening to the feed on this incident. He is saying, however, that due to media actions, there and elsewhere (including here in Phoenix during a recent incident, which has prompted...
Old 02-15-2013, 1:24 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux i686; U; en-US) Gecko/20081217 Vision-Browser/8.1 301x200 LG VN530)

Phoenix PD to reinstate encryption on their previously clear C-deck hot call channels) that encryption use by LEA's is increasing across the country. Not only the media's actions, but private citizens are also contributing to this trend.
Old 02-15-2013, 1:25 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Maybe live feeds aren't such a good idea?
Old 02-15-2013, 2:44 AM
DB Admin Member
Database Admin
Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by KB7MIB View Post

That is not my call, but this site does not want Tac channels stuff on the live feeds. This site does broadcast Routine radio traffic
They should move there traffic to Tac, at this point I 'am sure they know about this site.
Sponsored links
Old 02-15-2013, 2:50 AM
DB Admin Member
Database Admin
Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

The owners of this site have made that very clear, to those of us that do provide live feeds there will be only Routine traffic,no Tac or any kind of undercover stuff here at all.
Old 02-15-2013, 3:24 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I'm aware of that. But that isn't necessarily the issue. More and more encryption seems to be utilized due to the media and others using what they hear on unencrypted channels, whether they're on feeds or not, & putting themselves in places they shouldn't
Old 02-15-2013, 5:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KB7MIB View Post
Maybe advertising your gadget in each post isn't such a good idea.
Old 02-15-2013, 8:22 AM

$15 says San Bernardino encrypts everything after this on their new system being built.
Old 02-15-2013, 11:45 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by ts548 View Post
$15 says San Bernardino encrypts everything after this on their new system being built.
Hell I raise you on that and I bet you $16 dollars they do Encrypt. My city and the county I live in Encrypted all of their police and tacticals 13 YEARS AGO and never let up on their Motorola II Smart Zone system and that was 13 years ago. They locked down dispatch, tacticals, and also Sheriffs talkgroups. Everything to do with law enforcement. Think about it. 13 years ago when nobody knew what the word "ENCRYTION" meant.

I did a scan of all 50 states and I have seen a major trend with new cities and counties that have gone to Motorola's P25 Phase 1 system and Phase 2 systems and the majority of all of these systems and that would include at least I would say 90% of all of the states their police and tactical talkgroups are all leaving towards ENCRYPTION. Its been flying like crazy and I thought it was bad in California but our state is broke and has not done much of any upgrades in The Southern California area yet. I have seen it big time back on the east coast with the statewide P25 systems plus I am seeing some fire getting enctrypted too. The federal government is giving our tax dollars to do these upgrades and we have no decision on it.

At this alarming rate of this trend Uniden and GRE should be scared because business is coming to an end in about less than 5 years for sure. Our scanners like I said will be paper weights and thats it. Who wants to listen to Public Works. Plus hacking encryption is a punisable crime. I dont see police departments letting up anymore at this point and they will just flip the switch and we are all done. They got what they wanted with technology so far and they get to stay in their little boys club and not be transparent. Crazy to see this but LAPD is still wide open in the clear but LA City is going thru an overhaul to their new P25 Phase 1 system and I guarantee and I bet my life on it the chief will say flip the switch completely.

Sorry to be such a sour - - - - but the writing is all over the wall. Just enjoy the next couple of years and dont spend too much money on these units because they wont work for what you are looking for.

Trust me I am bummed too. I have been scanning for 30 years. I guess I will take up knitting for a new hobby.
Old 02-15-2013, 11:49 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Advertising my gadget?
Sponsored links
Old 02-15-2013, 12:45 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

"Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux i686; U; en-US) Gecko/20081217 Vision-Browser/8.1 301x200 LG VN530)

Advertising my gadget?"

This is how your posts come across. It's not your fault. It's how the forum's software operates.
Old 02-15-2013, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billmullins View Post
I would honestly hope that Radio Reference attempts to correct this issue for future incidents such as this one yesterday on the 12th of Feb 2013. I know many others were upset over this issue, but havent spoke up about the issue as of yet. Thanks for your time! I would like to make note also, I have listen to RR on many occasions and have never dealt with an issue like this. So, I know the problem was not on my end.
I agree. I did bring this topic up many many times during the incident, and it was atrocious how both the feed provider and the admins were treating this situation. They assumed that officer safety was the primary reason for taking the feed down. Having listened to a good part of the feed, I noticed that most of the tactical traffic was way behind the coverage that the media had. For example, watching the news video stream showed LE lined up on the roadway, facing the cabins, and the newscaster informing viewers of very detailed positions of the officers. On the scanner feed, I was not drawing the same sensitive information, not even close. So, my point being, the scanner feed was not effectively a LE safety issue.

If LE chooses to alter their radio system to effectively eliminate the ability to scan open airwaves, then there is nothing we can do about that, but if RR is going to supply feeds as a business model, and then selectively yank them away as they see fit, or as their feeders do, then I don't really see the point in running a streaming service like this has. If their isn't an incident occurring, I am basically not listening. Simple as that.

I'd also like to point out that this is not only a service that supposedly hinders LE safety, but it is much better at providing an information source for civilians, who may need to be informed about a particular incident, and may make the proper decision to get out of harms way. Plenty of people messaged me, and were desperately seeking information on whether they should make the trip up to Big Bear this past weekend. I responded that I didn't know any of the details, but the resorts were open. So they all head up there anyway, putting more cars on the mountain, and that takes up LE resources to search and maintain crisis control, instead of focusing on the objective of capturing Dorner. An informed public is a safe public. That's all I'm trying to say.

On the business model end of things, if RR/Broadcastify were to effectively provide a pay service that wouldn't block radio traffic, I'm sure news agencies and such, would be shaking a lot of money in their face to ensure that they had real time information to incidents. I know a lot of people in the media industry, and I assure RR, that the last thing they want to do is contribute to the high risk danger of LE. They just need to do their job. It's the economy, stoopid!
Old 02-15-2013, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioDaze View Post
This is how your posts come across. It's not your fault. It's how the forum's software operates.
From what I understand, it's a user setting in the gadget. The forum only repeats it.

Responsible gadget users turn it off.
Old 02-15-2013, 3:22 PM
DB Admin Member
Database Admin
Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Quote:
Hell I raise you on that and I bet you $16 dollars they do Encrypt. My city and the county I live in Encrypted all of their police and tacticals 13 YEARS AGO and never let up on their Motorola II Smart Zone system and that was 13 years ago. They locked down dispatch, tacticals, and also Sheriffs talkgroups. Everything to do with law enforcement. Think about it. 13 years ago when nobody knew what the word "ENCRYTION" meant.

I did a scan of all 50 states and I have seen a major trend with new cities and counties that have gone to Motorola's P25 Phase 1 system and Phase 2 systems and the majority of all of these systems and that would include at least I would say 90% of all of the states their police and tactical talkgroups are all leaving towards ENCRYPTION. Its been flying like crazy and I thought it was bad in California but our state is broke and has not done much of any upgrades in The Southern California area yet. I have seen it big time back on the east coast with the statewide P25 systems plus I am seeing some fire getting enctrypted too. The federal government is giving our tax dollars to do these upgrades and we have no decision on it.

At this alarming rate of this trend Uniden and GRE should be scared because business is coming to an end in about less than 5 years for sure. Our scanners like I said will be paper weights and thats it. Who wants to listen to Public Works. Plus hacking encryption is a punisable crime. I dont see police departments letting up anymore at this point and they will just flip the switch and we are all done. They got what they wanted with technology so far and they get to stay in their little boys club and not be transparent. Crazy to see this but LAPD is still wide open in the clear but LA City is going thru an overhaul to their new P25 Phase 1 system and I guarantee and I bet my life on it the chief will say flip the switch completely.

Sorry to be such a sour - - - - but the writing is all over the wall. Just enjoy the next couple of years and dont spend too much money on these units because they wont work for what you are looking for.

Trust me I am bummed too. I have been scanning for 30 years. I guess I will take up knitting for a new hobby.
new citys? how meny are there?
Old 02-15-2013, 3:24 PM
DB Admin Member
Database Admin
Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Quote:

I can scan only part of my county how tall is your antenna and what is the gain on that bad boy?

Tags
chris dorner, la cop killer, san bernardino