RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > The RadioReference Tavern > Rants

Rants I'm mad as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-23-2013, 5:05 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Default Proper grammer

I have been reading single profiles on a website. It seems like 90% have poor grammer skills. I'm no professor but when I read something I hate reading "hay" instead of proper spelled word: Hey. There's others I could point out but it seems to be everywhere like YouTube, this forum, Google, eBay. Please don't let your young ones flunk English!. OK done with my rant.
Sponsored links

Old 10-25-2013, 1:23 PM

BTW, Its spelled grammAr". Our posts will be consigned to the great circular file in the sky soon enough. There is enough wrong with the world than to continue to ***** about the written or spoken word on this site. The worst offenders just don't care what we say and we change nothing to the greater good.
Other data that nobody cares about.
Old 10-25-2013, 2:22 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

I really dunt c tha big deel.
Old 10-25-2013, 2:24 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

....reading single profiles" what does this mean? Do you mean singleS profiles? Your grammAr makes it hard to read your post! :-)

Uhh - Never mind :-)

Last edited by fredg; 10-25-2013 at 2:31 PM..
Old 10-25-2013, 2:27 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Default Re: Proper grammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredg View Post
"....reading single profiles" what does this mean? Do you mean singleS profiles? Your grammAr makes it hard to read your post! :-)
Lol wehl I gess I wil stheart tieping like this
Sponsored links
Old 10-25-2013, 2:29 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANAVAGH View Post
Lol wehl I gess I wil stheart tieping like this
I fixed my post after I Goggled "Single profiles" and it seemed to be legit wording... DOH!! LOL

I do agree with you! I hate all lower case and text speak the most! This is a forum not your phone! You can type out the words!

Last edited by fredg; 10-25-2013 at 2:32 PM..
Old 10-25-2013, 5:09 PM

Text message shorthand and all-lower case posts are an abomination. If one doesn't know what "shift" keys are for, they shouldn't be typing, period.

aND DON'T GET ME STARTED ON THE DULLARDS WHO EITHER HAVE A STUCK "CAPS LOCK" KEY OR WHO CAN'T BRING THEMSELVES TO FINALLY DUMP THEIR DECREPIT VIC-20S AFTER ALL THESE DECADES AND GET A REAL PC. eVEN BACK IN THE '80S WHEN THEY WERE POPULAR THEY WERE JUNK...NOT TOO DIFFERENT FROM mACINTRASH TODAY. aAAHHH! mY EARS!!11!

Although I Don't Find That Half As Annoying As People Who Insist On Capitalising Every Word Of Every Sentence, Regardless Of Whether Or Not They Actually Need To Be Capitalised.
Or the people who have to put every sentence on its own line, instead of in proper paragraphs.
In the English language, a new line indicates the start of a new paragraph.
It always has and always will.
I guess some people just like to abuse the "enter" key.
One of the HAM radio guys over on Radiocorruptions is very guilty of having this habit.
I won't drop handles (hint: it's in two parts and starts with "T" and "W"), but I'm willing to be he probably lurks here from time to time.

But that's not nearly as bad as these people who like to combine all their sentences into one big solid block and completely ignoring the rules of paragraph spacing or even the people who do that but don't use any full-stops or commas or other connecting punctuations at all and like to compose all their thoughts into one big long run-on sentence which just goes on and on and on and eventually becomes so hard to read that one ends up scrolling past their post altogether anc completely missing what may be critical or necessary information because the dsolt who typed it out made it so hard to parse and we'd better hope they have a good lawyer in case the ... hits the fan because important details were looked over because of the poster's tendency to ramble on and on and on at length and not stop to take a break which makes their whole post look like random uncomprehensible jibberish that nobody can make any sense of and makes text message shorthand and all lower-case posts and other faux pas like that look really pretty terrific....
*gasp*
*wheeze*

Yes, I have seen these all happening here and on far too many other boards.

"Your grammar makes it hard to read your post!"

The irony wasn't lost on me, though.
Old 10-25-2013, 10:00 PM

A lot of people today insist that spelling and grammar don't count, but in a venue where the written word makes that critical first impression, it counts a great deal.

I've seen resumes get rejected because of poor language skills. In an environment like singles ads, I would think that a poorly written profile could only positively influence someone with a similar lack of education.

If you're a poor speller, or can't construct a readable sentence while typing on a computer, I guarantee it... you ARE holding yourself back in life.
Old 10-25-2013, 11:07 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_vader View Post
But that's not nearly as bad as these people who like to combine all their sentences into one big solid block and completely ignoring the rules of paragraph spacing or even the people who do that but don't use any full-stops or commas or other connecting punctuations at all and like to compose all their thoughts into one big long run-on sentence which just goes on and on and on and eventually becomes so hard to read that one ends up scrolling past their post altogether anc completely missing what may be critical or necessary information because the dsolt who typed it out made it so hard to parse and we'd better hope they have a good lawyer in case the ... hits the fan because important details were looked over because of the poster's tendency to ramble on and on and on at length and not stop to take a break which makes their whole post look like random uncomprehensible jibberish that nobody can make any sense of and makes text message shorthand and all lower-case posts and other faux pas like that look really pretty terrific....
*gasp*
*wheeze*
This is a total LMFAO except the ones who actually do this don't spell as good as you did
'54 Hallicrafters SX-88 #127; Icoms R71A&R75, on a Wellbrook ALA1530s+ loop @ 50'
RS Pro 2066 in truck to glass mount tribander
Sponsored links
Old 10-26-2013, 10:26 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

What? LOL.
Old 10-26-2013, 8:33 PM

Grammer? She are in dhe kitchun baken cookez.
Old 10-27-2013, 8:38 AM

Oh dear.
How imbarising.
Old 10-28-2013, 12:34 AM

Location: RLG, Fly heading 053, intercept 315 DVV, look for the SAM

With the smartphones and crap people always shorten their words. I hate when people don't capitalize I and the word Internet is capitalized!

POLICING THE POLICE
Old 11-03-2013, 1:50 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANAVAGH View Post
I have been reading single profiles on a website. It seems like 90% have poor grammer skills. I'm no professor but when I read something I hate reading "hay" instead of proper spelled word: Hey. There's others I could point out but it seems to be everywhere like YouTube, this forum, Google, eBay. Please don't let your young ones flunk English!. OK done with my rant.
On the singles profiles, if you see poor grammar (or spelling! that is how you can weed out the dum-dums. I'd wince if I saw a profile with expressions on it like "hay!" considering it's' for grown-ups.
Old 11-03-2013, 6:16 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos

I to feel teh same. Two bad i may loose sleep toonight
idoits
'54 Hallicrafters SX-88 #127; Icoms R71A&R75, on a Wellbrook ALA1530s+ loop @ 50'
RS Pro 2066 in truck to glass mount tribander
Sponsored links

Old 11-03-2013, 9:52 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Default And another (similar) one . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCHLLM View Post
Grammer? She are in dhe kitchun baken cookez.
A salesman rings the doorbell and a child comes to the door. Salesman asks, “Are your mother and father home?” Child replies, “They wuz in, but they is out.” Salesman says “They wuz in, but they is out? Where’s your grammar?” Child says, “She’s upstairs taking a nap!”

Old 11-04-2013, 1:09 PM

The "backtick" or "grave accent" (`) is never an acceptable substute for an apostrophe ('). In some forum software, this can even cause the text following it to be rendered in a different font. To speakers of foreign languages, this can also be confused with an unpronounced syllable (anybody up for a trip to Hawai`i?) This needs to be pointed out because there's somebody on this site who does exactly that.

And I know I've said it before, and I'll say it again: if you're in the habit of using the comma (,) as a substitute for a period (.), quit now or it's back to typing class with you!

Last edited by Darth_vader; 11-04-2013 at 1:14 PM..
Old 11-04-2013, 3:28 PM

Evr sinse Ah tuuk duh Evelyn Wuudhed sped redin coorse, mah redin haz impruved ah hunner persent. An cumprension wunderfuly. Ah recommen duh Evelyn Wuudhed sped redin coorse ta all ma frenz. an rrmembr yu herd it heer furst onn rollr dirby!

ah cuuldnt evn spel truk drvr nowe I iz onne wiff thiz coorse.

That was harder to do that I realized...and no disrespect to the truck jockeys intended...
Old 11-07-2013, 1:52 PM

Ah. The monthly spelling, grammar, ect. rant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by feets View Post
Who wants to start next weeks Rant on literacy, spelling, grammar, English and the like?

I believe in literacy.

New pronunciation of "Button" and other similar words

Basic English

(All still on the current page 1 of the Rants forum)

Are we drawing straws for it, or what?

Let's make it a contest. Here is my entry;

Proper English 101,

It drive's me nut's when people start thread's Ranting about other peoples writing skills an than procceed too write a imperfect peace, post after post. Lets face it, I no I'm a higher class then those who cant rite right. And you no Im a higher class. This is my way of saying that I know that you know that I know that I am an higher class then other's that cant write rite.

Let me know if I win.
Old 11-07-2013, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by feets View Post
Ah. The monthly spelling, grammar, ect. rant.
I hope you put "ect" on purpose and you know it should be "etc" since it's short for "et cetera" and not "ec tecera".

Sometimes I won't capitalize appropriately because sometimes I just don't care and want to type faster but I will agree about using text speak and bad grammar. Or the annoying new trend of using "an" instead of "and".

^--^ PRO-106...436hp^--^