RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > The RadioReference Tavern > Rants

Rants I'm mad as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-14-2013, 10:27 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

So cute Lush fur and crisp brown eyes.
Sponsored links
Old 11-15-2013, 4:41 AM
KE4FHH
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by AronDouglas View Post
Got the package in today. The box was tore up and taped up ( there was a ripped hole in the box they had taped over), so I'm headed down the the post office to collect my $50. The radio and mic are fine.
Careful. I tried that once on a very expensive broken lamp that I bought. It was insured for $100. So I went to the post office and they agreed to give me the $100, but only after I gave them the lamp. I tried to explain to the the idiot at the Post Office that it was a $500 lamp that had at least $100 worth of damage. He noted the damage, but still insisted that I give them the lamp. I asked them what they were going to do with a broken lamp and he said that they would just throw it away... I kept the lamp.

So I hope you're willing to lose the radio and the mic to collect the $50. Otherwise, they are probably not giving you the money.
Old 11-15-2013, 10:19 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

The head of my post office is a friend of mine, so worst case is we just have a talk over it and she rattles some cages. But shes upset about it as well, so we'll see what happens.
Old 11-15-2013, 11:27 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by rescue161 View Post
Careful. I tried that once on a very expensive broken lamp that I bought. It was insured for $100. So I went to the post office and they agreed to give me the $100, but only after I gave them the lamp. I tried to explain to the the idiot at the Post Office that it was a $500 lamp that had at least $100 worth of damage. He noted the damage, but still insisted that I give them the lamp. I asked them what they were going to do with a broken lamp and he said that they would just throw it away... I kept the lamp.

So I hope you're willing to lose the radio and the mic to collect the $50. Otherwise, they are probably not giving you the money.
Gotta add my agreement here too, if ya do go and try to collect, they just MIGHT try to take the radio, and after that who know where it`ll end up, ya wanna be that guy? I don`t think so, `specially given all the radios out there being used by folks that shouldn`t be using them in the first place (pirate stations and such). So i too would be careful as well. N9NRA
Old 11-18-2013, 3:22 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I've been using USPS priority mail for 20 years, and most of my radio swaps/sales involve them. They've never lost a package, only once did a Maxtrac get damaged (looks like the box got dropped) and only a couple of times did their delivery window of 2-3 business days have some odd delays (like once a fellow board member in south Georgia sent me a radio that took a week to get to me outside of Atlanta!).

The flat rate boxes are a great value, and now they offer $50 insurance for free, they pickup everyday, and you don't have to stand in the line of morons at the post office. Just print them online. No account to open.

FedEX ground is the second best, their tracking is much better, but delivery times to the opposite coast are a couple days longer. They are a better value for larger items.

I avoid United Package Smashers like the plague. They love to show up at 8PM, toss a package at the door, and leave in a hurry, if they bother to show up at all. the UPS store franchises are a huge ripoff too.
Old 11-18-2013, 5:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTS2000des View Post
and you don't have to stand in the line of morons at the post office. Just print them online. No account to open.
All the carriers will pick up, albeit they charge extra whereas USPS doesn't.
No matter what though, if you are shipping something valuable, you should go stand in line and get a receipt for tendering the package because if a package goes missing and the carrier claims it was never picked up, who do you think Paypal is going to believe? Someone with a tracking number and no scans and no receipt or the buyer who wants their money back? And when you go to file a claim, without a receipt and if there aren't any scans, they tell you to go jump in a lake.

As you know, my local post office leaves packages sitting out in a publicly accessible area for anyone to go and steal them. Scans have a tendency to change and mutate. Without proof of tendering the package, it's your word against theirs.
Old 11-18-2013, 9:06 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Well as I've said before there's a such thing as a SIG confirmation and or registered mail if you really have something valuable
Old 11-19-2013, 12:00 AM

Location: RLG, Fly heading 053, intercept 315 DVV, look for the SAM

I jinxed myself posting in here. Bought a few things on eBay and one was sent priority and it's been a week and still in PA according to the tracking number. And a laptop battery I ordered was cracked. So now I had to open a case since the post office told me I had to file an insurance claim online and contact the seller. Hopefully I get a replacement. The seller should have never shipped a laptop battery in a padded priority envelope. Kinda dumb.

POLICING THE POLICE
Old 12-26-2013, 10:44 AM

Default USPS...we have a problem

$450 CB set! Must have been the super homma with 8-track under the dash double stroked multi multi bushwhacked modulator with nixi tube display !!!
Sponsored links

Old 12-26-2013, 2:29 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default USPS...we have a problem

Occasionally I get a package from One of the companies that's beat up. I usually take to *pick your carrier* office nearest me unopened and have one of the employees open it for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-27-2013, 8:09 PM

Location: RLG, Fly heading 053, intercept 315 DVV, look for the SAM

Got another one. Ordered a gift for my mom on eBay. Was sent from California to Colorado via USPS. Was sent to Texas and now is being routed here. Seriously?

POLICING THE POLICE
Old 12-28-2013, 11:06 AM

That's why I just make everyone macaroni necklaces.

No worries about late shipments.
Old 12-28-2013, 11:14 PM

Default 11 meter daze

Quote:
Originally Posted by AronDouglas View Post

New galaxy 959

- Clarifier open/unlocked for ssb use am set ith hp counter 7 digit resolution
- 5.5Kc slide (10 turn clarifier mod)
- 4 upgrade audio/ filters caps w / upgrqded 817 final switching transistor &
2sa 507b x 2 regulators all ic`s re greased and ceramic insultors checked for cracks
- Full PEP swing on AM & SSB
- Reciever upgrade, includes (2) Sanyo 2SC 2999 E w/ (4)diodes
- Full RX & TX alignment a meter set to S 9
- Full Quality control check all soldering check with double magnification
- Return shipping priority frb2 box packed carefully
- Full red lighting scheme - All red digital display (freq & channel sel.)
- Red backlit knobs and switches.
- Red RX l.e.d at idle.
- Blue l.e.d at TX.
Hey Aron.
I know I'm taking a chance that the moderator who idolizes Don Cherry may move this, but is there really a lot of activity "between the channels" on 11 meters? I haven't been on 11 in 20 years, didn't realize that sort of thing was still prevalent. Used to do a little "525" back in the day.

Last edited by Wyandotte; 12-28-2013 at 11:17 PM..
Old 01-02-2014, 11:17 PM

This is why I use DHL. I also have never had problems with FedEx or USPS. UPS is usially slow. "U People Slow"
Old 01-21-2014, 1:00 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by svfd17 View Post
I ordered a stubby UHF antenna for my Motorola ex600, waited about two and a half weeks USPS tracking said it was delivered, post office said it was delivered, I spoke to postal inspectors and the antenna appears in my mail box two days after I called, I have zero respect for them as of now, I realise it didn't cost quite as much as your cb but every day there are millions of people going through the same thing, I really hope everything turns out OK for you.

Sent from my C570 using this tapatalk machinery
I wonder what happened to have shaken it loose from the bowels of hell. Thats a happy ending, I wish I could say the same. One fine day a package I'm expecting, tracked happily shows right up to my local post office's front door BUT the post office tracked it, searched for it with nothing turning up. It was a shame it could have been a great buy. Just a XTS5000 VHF Model 3 for $150, an ebay " motorola phone " special. Boy did that ruin my week, although a refund was obtained.
Sponsored links

Old 02-12-2014, 7:46 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos

Default USPS

USPS Clifton,NJ leaves packages in the snow!