RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > The RadioReference Tavern > Rants

Rants I'm mad as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-13-2014, 7:26 PM

Question Loss of Weather Channel Could Present Public Safety Risk?

To even think about putting that notion out there shows how arrogant and out of touch with reality they are.

What the %$@#^% was Cantore smoking when he thought that up?

Old 01-13-2014, 7:35 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
To even think about putting that notion out there shows how arrogant and out of touch with reality they are.

What the %$@#^% was Cantore smoking when he thought that up?
He probably was only reading a verbatim script dictated by the same NBC executives who wrongly put all of the non-weather stuff on the TWC. I'm guessing this is the case, because the same message has been sent out via a lot of other people and through other delivery systems. I would say this is a case of "don't shoot the messenger (Cantore, et al)" when it's the message-senders (NBC's exec's) who have the problem.

My 2-cents,

Last edited by QDP2012; 01-13-2014 at 8:48 PM..
Old 01-13-2014, 8:35 PM

what company? and when is this suppose to take effect?
Old 01-13-2014, 8:47 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Washinton Post: DirecTV dispute: Is Weather Channel trying to have it both ways?

DirecTV: Is The Weather Channel being dropped from DIRECTV?

BuzzFeed: Storm Brews As DirecTV Looks To Drop The Weather Channel

Last edited by QDP2012; 01-13-2014 at 8:53 PM..
Old 01-14-2014, 5:15 AM

It's gone.

The public may be safer now.

At least those with Direct TV.
Old 01-14-2014, 8:47 AM

Yep, Weather Nation has taken its place. NBC screwed the pooch on this one.

I will miss Stephanie Abrams.
Old 01-14-2014, 1:25 PM
Mentor
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Wirelessly posted (Moto Droid Bionic: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 4.1.2; en-us; DROID BIONIC Build/9.8.2O-72_VZW-22) AppleWebKit/534.30 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/534.30)

This back-and-forth between the parties is simply about money, nothing more. Some people have their panties in a bunch.

FWIW on the Internet I like the Weather Underground app on the phone. I looked at WeatherNation app. It's OK but thinks my location is 20 miles away in another county.
Old 01-14-2014, 5:18 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Ya know folks, this mess regarding TWC could be a real advertising boon for the cable guys, At least one cable co (whom i won`t name here, don`t wanna name-drop ) seems to like trying to "mudsling" the sat tv guys, and this back-and-forth could be another shell in the ammo can for the cable boys to take advantage of, if they wanted to that is. Methinks there might be some new tv spots comming out dissing the sat boys for pulling TWC. Should be a hoot to watch (pun intended ) N9NRA
Old 01-14-2014, 7:34 PM
Lead Wiki Manager
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
Yes, it's laughable.

The Weather Channel is the last place I'd turn to for up-to-date information about severe weather impacting my area.

I think DirecTV hit the nail on the head in their press release when they knocked TWC for the hours and hours of reality TV programming they've been running instead of reporting on the weather conditions and forecast. TWC's endorsement of the "storm chaser" phenomenon put their own people in harm's way and almost got Mike Bettes and his "chase crew" killed last spring. Then, there's this business of TWC taking it upon themselves to name winter storms which is also a joke. An old friend of mine dubbed TWC as "The Ad Channel" twenty years ago when it became apparent that airing sponsor's commercials was more important than informing people about the weather. Frankly, I've seen enough of Jim Cantore with his arms wrapped around a light pole to keep from getting blown away by hurricane-force winds. Good riddance, TWC.

In the interest of full disclosure, I've been a DirecTV customer for many years and I've endured their occasional battles with content providers. DirecTV always claims that they are trying to hold the line on costs and if they pay the content providers more then they'll have to pass those costs onto their customers. So, DirecTV and the content providers occasionally draw lines in the sand, make self-centered press releases, and act like spoiled children for a few days, a few weeks, a few months. Then, they settle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by N9NRA View Post
At least one cable co (whom i won`t name here, don`t wanna name-drop ) seems to like trying to "mudsling" the sat tv guys...
Hmmm...Comcast? Isn't it cozy how Comcast, a content carrier, is now owned by NBC Universal, a content provider? I still can't believe that the FCC approved that.

"The whole world's living in a digital dream. It's not really there, it's all on the screen." -- Joe Walsh WB6ACU
Sponsored links
Old 01-15-2014, 9:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Confuzzled
They have become garbage........ Weather Nation IS MUCH BETTER!! (i hope they dont ruin it!!)
Old 01-15-2014, 2:11 PM

Yeah, some of us felt that way for maybe a day or so after the NBC Weather Plus+/KGW Weather service went tits-up however many years ago.

"Public safety risk" but only for the minority who don't know [how] to look elsewhere. As long as you've access to a radio that tunes 162 MHz* (I'd think that'd account for the vast majority of users of this site), there's no reason to believe that. I'd believe the NOAA forecasts long before I'd put stock in anything a present-day cable TV network has to say, especially one where their publicity stunts involve naming winter storms.

Meanwhile, cable TV channels come and go like they've always done. Life goes on.

* Conveniently available at a Goodwill near you.
Old 01-16-2014, 12:22 AM

I have since heard weather nation IS NOT LIVE but on a 3 hour delay!!!!

The weather channel also has a channel WITH JUST WEATHER,its called WEATHER SCAN!!

http://weatherchannel.wikia.com/wiki/Weatherscan

Why doesnt DirecTV carry them?? -- I THINK ITS ALL ABOUT $$$$$ -- WEATHER NATION IS CHEAPER AND IS NOT AS GOOD IF IT INDEED IS NOT LIVE!!
Old 01-16-2014, 3:23 AM

Thumbs up

You know what Darth_vader'd like to see?

I'd like to see somebody at some local TV station load up the Weatherstar 4000 simulator* on that old neglected XP box in the corner, loop it 24 hours/7 days and feed one of their ATSC substreams from it; maybe even park a local music or NOAA station on the audio tracks. Hey, it'd be providing more of a public service than can be said about the latter-day Weather-Related Movie Channel.

* http://taiganet.com/

Last edited by Darth_vader; 01-16-2014 at 3:41 AM..
Old 01-16-2014, 5:15 AM
Lead Wiki Manager
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_vader View Post
I'd like to see somebody at some local TV station load up the Weatherstar 4000 simulator on that old neglected XP box in the corner, loop it 24 hours/7 days and feed one of their ATSC substreams from it; maybe even park a local music or NOAA station on the audio tracks.
Darn new-fangled technology.

When my family moved to Logansport, Indiana, in 1972, we experienced cable TV for the first time. The local cable TV operator had a weather channel. In their offices, they had a small panel with analog dial-type instruments for temperature, humidity, wind speed, wind direction, and barometric pressure. A black-and-white camera continuously panned from dial to dial to dial. There was no audio.

Ah, those were the days.

In my local market, one of the TV stations uses their -2 ATSC channel for local weather. The station's TV weather readers record a 5-minute weather broadcast that is looped continuously interspersed with local ads and local weather radar. The recordings are updated periodically and they may go live during severe weather. On their -3 channel, they run local weather radar continuously. All of this is much more useful than The Weather Channel.

"The whole world's living in a digital dream. It's not really there, it's all on the screen." -- Joe Walsh WB6ACU
Old 01-16-2014, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by W9BU View Post
Darn new-fangled technology.

When my family moved to Logansport, Indiana, in 1972, we experienced cable TV for the first time. The local cable TV operator had a weather channel. In their offices, they had a small panel with analog dial-type instruments for temperature, humidity, wind speed, wind direction, and barometric pressure. A black-and-white camera continuously panned from dial to dial to dial. There was no audio.

Ah, those were the days.

In my local market, one of the TV stations uses their -2 ATSC channel for local weather. The station's TV weather readers record a 5-minute weather broadcast that is looped continuously interspersed with local ads and local weather radar. The recordings are updated periodically and they may go live during severe weather. On their -3 channel, they run local weather radar continuously. All of this is much more useful than The Weather Channel.
The weather channel used to be like this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_vader View Post
You know what Darth_vader'd like to see?

I'd like to see somebody at some local TV station load up the Weatherstar 4000 simulator* on that old neglected XP box in the corner, loop it 24 hours/7 days and feed one of their ATSC substreams from it; maybe even park a local music or NOAA station on the audio tracks. Hey, it'd be providing more of a public service than can be said about the latter-day Weather-Related Movie Channel.

* http://taiganet.com/
The weather channel used to be like this.
Sponsored links
Old 01-17-2014, 9:24 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by W9BU View Post
Yes, it's laughable.

The Weather Channel is the last place I'd turn to for up-to-date information about severe weather impacting my area.

I think DirecTV hit the nail on the head in their press release when they knocked TWC for the hours and hours of reality TV programming they've been running instead of reporting on the weather conditions and forecast. TWC's endorsement of the "storm chaser" phenomenon put their own people in harm's way and almost got Mike Bettes and his "chase crew" killed last spring. Then, there's this business of TWC taking it upon themselves to name winter storms which is also a joke. An old friend of mine dubbed TWC as "The Ad Channel" twenty years ago when it became apparent that airing sponsor's commercials was more important than informing people about the weather. Frankly, I've seen enough of Jim Cantore with his arms wrapped around a light pole to keep from getting blown away by hurricane-force winds. Good riddance, TWC.

In the interest of full disclosure, I've been a DirecTV customer for many years and I've endured their occasional battles with content providers. DirecTV always claims that they are trying to hold the line on costs and if they pay the content providers more then they'll have to pass those costs onto their customers. So, DirecTV and the content providers occasionally draw lines in the sand, make self-centered press releases, and act like spoiled children for a few days, a few weeks, a few months. Then, they settle.

Hmmm...Comcast? Isn't it cozy how Comcast, a content carrier, is now owned by NBC Universal, a content provider? I still can't believe that the FCC approved that.

Actually i was referring to Charter Cable (which i have), they like to diss the sat boys a goodly bit every now and then. I just wish i could post their commercials that resemble the old "Mac vs Windows" ads which they`ve been running every now and then lately, quite fun to watch them basically take open-handed slaps at (i think) Dish or mabey DirectTV. Kinda funny ones i think . N9NRA
Old 01-17-2014, 2:39 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.80 (BREW; Opera Mini/6.0.3/27.2339; U; en) Presto/2.8.119 320X240 LG VN530)

In the Phoenix market, Weatherscan is on channel 9 on DishNet.
The local CBS and NBC affiliates both run 24/7 weather on their x.2 channel, but they're only OTA or Cox Cable, not on the satellites. (The ABC affiliate used to run ADOT highway traffic info, with some weather info on the side, on their x.2 channel. Now it's the Living Well Network.)
I'd have to add an A/B switch and put the rabbit ears back up to watch any of the local x.2 through x.5 OTA channels.
Old 01-18-2014, 1:14 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Let’s see, there is a weather emergency and I turn on TWC and see only reality TV and commercials. If one needs emergency weather info they should go to local tv, or use a emergency radio; the one with the crank handle generator.
The Weather Chanel debacle is in part of a bigger is of going off mission of these channels. I remember The Weather Chanel was for a quick look at local weather, MTV played music videos, History, Discovery, and TLC was for public TV documentaries without the public TV smugness at taxpayers’ expense, Science Fiction Chanel was for my SF fix, and Fox News was straight up News even they issue segment was less to be desired. Now cable channels are mostly scripted “reality” shows and sensationalism. It fist I went back to basic cable and finally cut the cable all together, relying more on Hulu, Netflix and crunchy roll.
Old 01-20-2014, 10:03 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Default Loss of Weather Channel Could Present Public Safety Risk?

TWC lost its focus a long time ago. Most of their content can be found elsewhere and accurate weather is best obtained from local wx outlets and NOAA.

TWC has offered som interesting "the world is ending" excitement, mostly for ratings. Their over reacting only caused more issues for first responders by either causing people to act crazy preparing for doom or by indirectly encouraging people to do dumb things. What is the point of going where first responders have asked you not to go? Money.....

Not surprising until I stumbled upon this thread I didnt even know TWC was gone. No loss. Direct TV hold your ground, find a better source.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-20-2014, 6:54 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Hey all. IMO if ya want to get accurate weather info or find out where that oncomming severe storm is at (and ya don`t mind doing some work to get it), i say use a scanner and listen to the ham weather nets . Yes, some can be kinda lacking, but some are really good (the one up in my home county in NW WI comes to mind right off). Way i see it that`s really a better way to get info about any severe weather, at least that`s how i get info when there`s a storm in the area anyway. So that said i really don`t need TWC, and honestly i wouldn`t lose any sleep if the cable co`s made `em go away too, wouldn`t be a biggie to me at all, as i use an app on my smartphone to get radar and forcast info, and when a storm is around i start listening to my HT and the scanner . N9NRA