RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > The RadioReference Tavern > Rants

Rants - I'm mad as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-13-2017, 6:51 AM

Default reaping what we sow

Many elderly people are often sad that they are lonely. Their kids and other family donít come to visit as much or at all.
Many state that they are lonely because all or most of their friends have moved away or passed away.
Perhaps in many cases, these same people did everything humanly possible to criticize, condemn, and generally alienate the rest of the family in their younger and middle years.
They claim that they love their children and while there is no doubt that they intended to be constructive in their admonishment, nobody is exempt from going too far and invoke bad feelings.
The very sad fact that oneís friends pass away is certainly not lost on anyone. Iíve lost people that were friends and Iím only in my early 50ís so a person much older than me would be harder hit.
But then again, whatís the excuse for not making new friends? My pastor was once listing reasons why people donít attend church anymore. One of them was because oneís friends moved away and/or transferred to different churches. Talk about a slap in the face to the rest of the congregation huh?
With that attitude, it makes me wonder how they made friends in the first place.
Sponsored links
Old 09-13-2017, 5:46 PM
Was k2ool/k1nng

And then theres people that have phones and never make calls to anyone!They would rather text and texting is so impersonal.The kids nowadays dont even communicate with each other, back in the day we had house phones, CB radios,party lines,3 way calling.Nobody I mean nobody really communicates anymore
even though we have phones, video calling thats free,email,snail mail.Wow I think we went backwards !
Alexander Bell could not have predicted that we would all go back to sending messages to each other like
the Western Union or telegraph,I bet hes rolling over in his grave.How can you make friends when all you are doing is sending messages that can be misinterpreted by the reader?Technology thats so advanced,people have de-evolved.
Religion makes people angry,so I am not touching that one with a 10 foot pole.

Last edited by Southernsky; 09-13-2017 at 5:50 PM..
Old 09-13-2017, 6:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1nng View Post
And then theres people that have phones and never make calls to anyone!They would rather text and texting is so impersonal.The kids nowadays dont even communicate with each other, back in the day we had house phones, CB radios,party lines,3 way calling.Nobody I mean nobody really communicates anymore
even though we have phones, video calling thats free,email,snail mail.Wow I think we went backwards !
Alexander Bell could not have predicted that we would all go back to sending messages to each other like
the Western Union or telegraph,I bet hes rolling over in his grave.How can you make friends when all you are doing is sending messages that can be misinterpreted by the reader?Technology thats so advanced,people have de-evolved.
Religion makes people angry,so I am not touching that one with a 10 foot pole.
I really don't know why you feel that way about religion and churches perhaps bad experience at one point but that's for you to work out. Bell actually meant for the phone to be used to get to the point for a short time and not babble on and on so he thought the phone was an annoyance beyond his intended purpose.
I'm in my early 50's and have always HATED using the phone. Email is a wonderful Godsend for me. Don't blame the technology if people don't want to use it. My dear late grandma who passed away last year at age 100 never wanted to embrace new technology that much. She never even liked to speak into voicemail or an answering machine. She was rather hard of hearing so if me or Mom would talk to her on the phone, we had to scream at her to get her to hear. That didn't make for a pleasant experience but she was ok with personal visits. This new technology as some put it would have been a benefit to her.
Old 09-13-2017, 6:56 PM
Was k2ool/k1nng

Naw, ya read that wrong, I just dont talk about religion I am neutral on religion.Worship God,Yahweh or Allah which also means "God".I know theres other religions,I am not listing em all here.

I do feel strongly that texting is going backwards If you are able to hear and talk on the phone or in person.Some kids text each other in the same room is what I mean, they are dettached from their own society! Why? Theres no need, they could just talk to each other, but they Choose Not To.
People who are hearing impaired or otherwise do benefit from technology true.Teens texting while driving can kill and they have no idea that they could have avoided this if they just called/texted before they left. I dont have a cellphone, I use the phone before and after I drive.I dont use the phone driving and that pissed off some people but I am still alive so oh well.One guy by my house hit a bridge and I was walking and saw the phone on under the gas pedal,nice huh?All I heard was Bang!
Nobody likes voicemail, I am with ya there.

Last edited by Southernsky; 09-13-2017 at 7:01 PM..
Old 09-14-2017, 6:51 AM

I see that everyday where people are not paying the slightest attention to the road but and texting while driving. Just stupid.
One nice thing about voicemail though is at least you don't have to listen to someone whining and warbling live.
Sponsored links
Old 09-14-2017, 11:48 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

You've hit on a topic that I always thought was silly. That is the preoccupation with texting. Technology has advanced to a level that we can walk around with a device the size of a pack of cigarettes and TALK to people around the work. Hey, we can even SEE them while we TALK to them. But, now we're back to sending text messages. Often times full sentences and proper grammar are tossed by the wayside and we stoop to bastardized abbreviations and hieroglyphics. Good Grief, why not go whole hog and get back to smoke signals!

Ahhh, that feels better.....
Old 09-14-2017, 1:28 PM

Reminds me of an FTROOP episode. Wildeagle is sending a smoke signal something to the effect...Sorry, we can't make it to dinner. Perhaps next week will be better. Got to go, the blanket caught fire.
Old 09-14-2017, 2:32 PM
Was k2ool/k1nng

Maybe thats what happened the lower and middle class are just so miserable because everything costs so much and is made like crap because nothing is made here anymore that nobody wants to really talk to one another because they are always whining about how they cant make ends meet anymore living paycheck to paycheck. I think thats why they dont use the phone portion of the phone.Texting at least you can ignore or yes people to death without them knowing.

yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah uhuh uhuh uhuh
Attached Images

Old 09-14-2017, 2:35 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrabbyMilton View Post
Reminds me of an FTROOP episode. Wildeagle is sending a smoke signal something to the effect...Sorry, we can't make it to dinner. Perhaps next week will be better. Got to go, the blanket caught fire.
Ah yes, F-Troop. I used to love watching it. Larry Storch was one of my "favs".