Best antenna for Grundig 750

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chromdome35

Premium Subscriber
Thinking about putting an antenna in my attic for my Grundig 750 sat. Has to go in the attic due to the POA. I have lots of space both horizontally and vertical.

What would you recommend?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
There are several possibilities here. A PAR end fed would certainly work - there are several who have it in this configuration, I'm certain - but you could just as easily put up a miniature Skyloop.

Basically take a length of wire and wrap it a couple of times around the perimeter of the attic (some have even wrapped it up into the eaves...be careful of your footing if you do this). Separate each loop by a couple of inches (or more if you can swing it). Connect this to a 9:1 transformer ('magnetic longwire balun") and you'd have a very nice antenna with lo noise characteristics. You could even put one of these up horizontally, and one vertically - they will work quite differently, and having more than one antenna is an advantage- a signal might not come in well on one antenna, but just fine on another.

Another possibility - one that I used when I was living with a big attic above me - is to construct a Carpet Loop. It's a great starter project, and works quite well for what it does. Put the receiving element in the attic to keep it out of the way.

Google the magnetic longwire balun and the Carpet Loop - you'll see what I mean. We also have links on these subjects in our wiki here...

HF Antennas - The RadioReference Wiki

You're not going to get away from all the house crud with an attic antenna, but it will work just fine. Just don't make it too long, or you might end up with overloading issues. If you start hearing stations (like MW stations) in places on the HF spectrum, this is a possible cause.

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.