Another tropical band antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

majoco

Stirrer
Seems too good to be true! Micheal Schnitzer didn't say where was located, but he seems to be getting word-wide coverage. Wonder what time of day when he did his tests? I notice the article was published in 2002 - a lot has happened to the SW spectrum since then.

I have just bought (used) a commercial T2FD which I will erect in the New Year. It bears a remarkable similarity to two "ewe"s joined together but I hope it doesn't have the same directionality!

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Reading his description, and the way his article is written (notice some of the metrics?), I'd say Mike was in Germany or Austria.

It may be too good to be true, but it seems pretty simple to construct. The only trick would seem to be where you have to figure out how your ground resistance is playing with the antenna.

It's certainly interesting for those folks without real large lots for full sized dipoles or similar on those bands. Mike

majoco

Stirrer
I'd say Mike was in Germany or Austria.

I agree, especially as he seemed to get Western European stations (BBC2 198kHz) on one direction and Romania/Israel on the reverse.

But Alice Springs??? Wow!
Using the Asia-EWE I succeeded for the first time to listen to ABC Alice Springs on 2310 kHz,

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
<snip>
I have just bought (used) a commercial T2FD which I will erect in the New Year. It bears a remarkable similarity to two "ewe"s joined together but I hope it doesn't have the same directionality!

Actually from what little I know of T2FDs, assuming that it's mounted with an approximately 30 degree tilt, that the main lobe is in the direction of the tilt

The 'EWE's can be thought of as a 'back-fire' antenna, as the main lobe appears to be the direction where the balun is attached to the antenna and feedline, assuming that Mike's description is accurate..

Not the same at all. Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.