Beverage Antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

k9rzz

Yeah, dig lower in freq. and it should really shine. I don't have much experience with beverages, but once I rode my mountain bike over to the local park (if I parked my car, then the cops would know I was there) with a back pack full of radio gear and strung up 600 feet of wire. Using my battery powered Palstar R30 I tuned across the AM BCB band ... first thoughts: This thing stinks! (or words to that effect). All the east coast stations were down in the weeds, it was so quiet it sounded like I connected the radio to a ground wire. Then I tuned across 1620khz .... WDHP, Frederiksted, US Virgin Islands, S9 and all alone.

WOW! THis beverage antenna works GREAT!

:^]

N1BHH

I once had at a previous location, a beverage that was ~700-800 feet long using #22 silver, nylon jacketed wire. I had gotten a roll of double shielded 75 ohm coax from a friend and had about 400 feet on the spool, enough to feed two antennas with the coax buried out to the base of a tree on the side of the backyard. Buried them just simply by using a lawn edger going in on a slight angle to pull up the top layer, then following along and stuffing the coax in and then pushing down on the lawn and making a couple walking passes over the lawn for them.

One was used for my primary transmitting antenna, a trap dipole for 80 and 40 meters, the other one for the beverage. I sometimes used it for receiving in the amateur radio bands, but it was great for doing some medium wave and long wave listening. I draped the wire just over tree branches as I walked through the woods, all of about 8 feet off the ground. I didn't want to have any wildlife take it down, so it was high enough for Bambi to stroll through.

My longest beacon reception was in Alberta (from Massachusetts) and lots of different graveyard stations on medium wave. I wish I had kept the logs, somewhere along the way they got lost. I had lots of fun using it, even for transmitting via an L-network. It worked great after a hurricane took my trap dipole down, and most of the tree with it.

7designs

The beverage does work great on 160 - 40m for amateur. I just wanted to try it on SWL and I gues I should have mentioned that video was shot during the day. I was impressed at its results even that high up the bands.

k9rzz

Bear with me as I stroll down memory lane ....

My folks had a lake cottage here in Wisconsin and a buddy and I brought our radios out there one weekend. Included was 2,000 feet of cattle fence wire which we strung over hill and dale, even across a pond. It took a better part of an afternoon and most of it (99.9%) wasn't on our land, but a neighboring set of farm woods, a good half mile from their house and buldings.

Again, it was very quiet. You'd question "Is this thing on?" but then some super distant station would POP out of the noise, even during the day time. Very weird sounding antennas, unlike any other.

k9rzz

Naw, we just ran it from tree to tree and when we ran out of wire, we just tied it off. Kept it simple, but it worked!

k9rzz

Just a quick summary of my "Ice BOG" antenna which is basically 200 to 600 feet of insulated wire layed out on my frozen lake. YES, it does work quite well and does seem to be rather directional when comparing E/W vs N/S, even down on longwave. The only issue I really had was when I left it out for 2 days and it started freezing into lake and I had to walk out the entire length and unstick it. Otherwise it was a simple chore to reel it back in the morning. While the ice here is currently quite sturdy, the sun is getting stronger every day and I won't get a chance to put it out again for 2 more weeks, so I may be done for the winter. I hope not, but at least I have something to look forward to next winter!

a29zuk

Cooool, I mean cold. When I roll out about 400' of wire at the park I usually get a lobe off the end and off the side for medium wave. But then, it isn't quite a beverage antenna at that length. I have more wire on that spool but have to find another spot to roll it all the way out.

Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.