Wire Antenna?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Your_account

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Hey
A friend give me an Upconverter and an Adapter for an Wire antenna.
On the back is "Balun 1:9". How long must the wire be?
I would make an loop. Is the diameter important?
Thanks

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Varies depending on frequency, but these antennas are pretty broad banded and not really resonate for receive purposes.

I've got a 9:1 and I've got about 60 feet of wire on it, seems to work pretty well. Might be a good place to start.

wb6uqa

end fed antenna

I have mine at 53 feet. Please check balun designs web page for swr and frequency. I can transmit 160 meters to 6 meters.124.5 feet is very good..

wb6uqa

Most use 14 gauge wire. Google end fed antenna or look at ebay. 53 feet works like a 50 ft. vertical. Must use 50 ohm coax at lease 50 ft. The shield on the coax is the other half of antenna, End should

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Please keep your answers geared to antenna topics for receiving - there is another forum for amateur radio topics. Thanks Mike

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
As for loops - there's a tremendous amount of information on loops on the net. However, just making a wire loop - say wrapping wire around an outside wall and feeding it to a so-called magnetic longwire balun (9:1 balun) would also work well (something I plan to do shortly...)

There are loops which are very large (such as Delta loops) or quite tiny that have to have some amplification because their small size doesn't really have much in the way of capture area (the Kaito loop is a case in point). As I've read, the larger the diameter - past one-tenth of a wavelength at a given frequency - tends to make the loop act more like a dipole.

Just how much room do you have to work with - and will it be indoors or outside? Mike

majoco

Stirrer
53 feet works like a 50 ft. vertical. Must use 50 ohm coax at lease 50 ft. The shield on the coax is the other half of antenna, End should

Whaaat?

You have a 9:1 balun so you have the most expensive part to make a copy of the PAR EF-SWL antenna which apparently performs really well.

EF-SWL Antenna | PAR Electronics | Filters for the commercial 2 way market, MATV, FM broadcast, laboratory, marine industry, amateur radio, scanner and short wave listening enthusiasts

The gobbledegook about polyethylene coated woven black wire is hype - a 45ft length of insulated wire will do fine, strung up as high as you can get it - the balun is right up there at the end of the wire and you'll need coaxial cable from there to your receiver - don't bring the wire down to your receiver as it will pick the house noise. Put it into a plastic container to keep the moisture out. Join one end of the wire to one of the primary leads of the transformer, the other end of the primary goes to the screen of the coaxial cable along with one lead from the secondary - the centre of the coax goes to the remaining terminal of the secondary. The coax to your receiver can be any length - if possible join the braid of the coax to a ground rod before it enters your building. The connections look like this...

Here's the pic of what you get, except you have joined the two earths together at the balun - which is really an impedance transformer in this connection.

Last edited:

Your_account

Banned
Varies depending on frequency, but these antennas are pretty broad banded and not really resonate for receive purposes.
hm good Question. Here in Middle Europe its a little difficult.
and I've got about 60 feet of wire on it
How long is your feet? The size is different from Person to Person.
Please check balun designs web page for swr and frequency. I can transmit 160 meters to 6 meters.
A friend make it at home so i dont know?! I want to receive only.
Most use 14 gauge wire.
What is that??? I never hear about.
There are loops which are very large
So what is large? 1m, 2m, 3m, 4m, 5m diameter?
Just how much room do you have to work with - and will it be indoors or outside?
On the Attic maybe 3m - 5m but I never measure the hight. Indoor only (now maybe there is something I relay want to Receive its possible to put a cable outside.
Here's the pic of what you get
I have no idea what that is...

wyShack

Premium Subscriber
A foot is a unit of length here in the United States. One foot is 0.3048 meters. to keep it simple three feet is about one meter. the US 14 gauge wire is comparable to 2.5 mm^2 over there.

For shortwave listening, the longer the better for most practical purposes. As an example, at 7.0 Mhz a quarter wave antenna would be almost 11 meters long-by most standards not very short. The wavelength is related to frequency by the formula

300/f=l

where f is frequency in MHz and l is length in meters. This is somewhat of an approximation.

for the frequencies below 30 MHz the main limiting factor is noise pickup so too large of an antenna will actually cause problems.

Last edited:

Your_account

Banned
A foot is a unit of length here in the United States.
oke the nasa use the metrical system to so....

hmm so...? I want just listen what is broadcast from different User/ Agency/ Company/...

The Gov. ignore everything under 50mhz. Radio Stations are a little boring...

majoco

Stirrer
This section of the forum is called "Receive Antennas (below 30MHz)".

What else do you need to know?

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Simmer down folks.....

Your_Account, I realize your English isn't the best - but try to describe precisely what it is you're trying to hear.

From your brief description, that could apply to any number of agencies that transmit above 30 Mhz. And if memory serves, listening in that region is fairly restricted in many parts of the world.

Let's start with this - are you trying to hear broadcasts from stations like the VoA, BBC and others? Or are you trying to hear stuff that exists in between the standard broadcasting bands?

Mike

Your_account

Banned
what does "balun 9:1" exactly mean?
I want just receive somethings. I got Radio station in the past but that it.

WA0CBW

Premium Subscriber
Simply a 9:1 balun changes the impedance from the antenna side to the receiver in a 9 to 1 ratio. If the antenna impedance is 450 ohms then the receiver sees 50 ohms. There is a little more to it than that but you get the idea.
BB

Your_account

Banned
a friend of mine gave me it and say "play arround". Everything after the SDR Dongle isnt any Problem....
I have regular Wire for Powersockets.

Your_account

Banned
Can someone explane to me how long the wire have to be to receive anything?!
Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.