RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > HF / MW / LW Monitoring > Receive Antennas (below 30MHz)

Receive Antennas (below 30MHz) - For all topics related to receive antennas used on HF, MW, LW, etc. For transmit antennas use the Amateur Radio Antennas forum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-08-2017, 10:41 PM

Default Dipole questions

I was thinking of building a 40 meter dipole my idea 33 to 34 feet of 14 or 12 awg wire on each side of a center insulator I also got some ladder line that I will attach to the center insulator my bug is my receiver only as a coaxial plug in back and I can't run a coax trough the wall landlord says no holes could I attach my ladder line that I will put in the window to a balun inside the house.
Sponsored links
Old 06-08-2017, 11:01 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

For receiving only, you bet! But you could do the whole thing with coax...leave the window open just enough to allow the coax to enter, close the window on it, but not pinching it! Weatherstripping or a thin towel in the crack to close it up. The opening won't be much more than the twin lead
Old 06-09-2017, 3:57 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

If you are building a resonant dipole, just run some RG-58 from the center (assuming you are running barefoot) of the dipole to the rig and no need for a tuner. Optionally, you can place a balun at the center of the dipole if you wish.
Old 06-19-2017, 2:45 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by mass-man View Post
For receiving only, you bet! But you could do the whole thing with coax...leave the window open just enough to allow the coax to enter, close the window on it, but not pinching it! Weatherstripping or a thin towel in the crack to close it up. The opening won't be much more than the twin lead

Or cut a 2x4 to the width of your window. Drill a hole in the 2x4 large enough to feed your coax connector through, then set your 2x4 on the window sill and close the window against it. This may create a drafty gap, but you can plug that with some foam. And if security is a concern you could cut a dowl to the right length to use as a jam.

This photo from the inter webs shows the idea, but with a vertical installation...

Attached Images