LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-28-2010, 11:35 AM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by N_Jay View Post
Yup..I know,I know you said this before.This is going nowhere. But there's nothing like a good argument about Religion after a few rounds in the Political forum lol. Most here have little or no interest in religion at all and all im doing is providing fuel for their fire and increasing the entertainment value of this site I guess. Somebody has to do it. Its no secret here that Im a Conservative,Christian,Constitution loving dont take away my freedom or my guns American. So I guess I'll be arguing with the others or the other two in particular everywhere I post on this site. You know who you are and you know what thats just fine with me.
Sponsored links
Old 02-28-2010, 1:14 PM
Careful, I CAN hear you!
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin

OK the Al Gore dragon breath was cool! We all know he is another of the agents of Satan helping the other False Prophets and the Antichrist to rise. And to quote the one and only El Rushbaugh: "The true axis of evil, Science, Academia, and ..." And a line from he great one, Mark Levine: "Get the idiots off the podium!" Anyway, the true believers know in their hearts whats happening, and whats to come. The old saying a bout what not to talk about, "politics, religion, and your best friend's sisters" is true. Bring up any and youll have never ending arguements and discussions. But hey its one way to keep intellectual stimulation happening.
Support your local Scanologists!
Old 02-28-2010, 1:22 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by milf View Post
Yes the Episcopalians.. the Anglican Church in the USA. An abomination from its birth.. I met the former Archbishop of Canterburry at an diocese meeting when I lived in NC. He was appalled at the future (then) appointment of openly gay leaders... Since then the Episcopal church in the USA has split into 2 or maybe 3 now divisions because of this issue. I have long since cut all ties with the Episcopalian/Anglican denomination. There are many other issues with other denominations that also sicken me as they are beginning to all fall away from the one body. I wish there were a lot more Nazzarites out there to spread the word that they all need to pay attention closely to scriptures. Notice I said Nazzarite, not Nazzerene....for those that know what the difference is.. More power to ya.
Agreed....The falling away of the Church is one of the signs. We believers in Christ have become the outcast of this generation as the world is rejecting Christ and embracing sin and immorality. And now they want immorality in the Church also. But so it is written. All the signs are evident and we have been warned that these things will happen. We believers will be prosecuted for our faith in Christ. The question is Who will be saved when Christ returns if this is the generation?
Old 02-28-2010, 1:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milf View Post
OK the Al Gore dragon breath was cool! We all know he is another of the agents of Satan helping the other False Prophets and the Antichrist to rise. And to quote the one and only El Rushbaugh: "The true axis of evil, Science, Academia, and ..." And a line from he great one, Mark Levine: "Get the idiots off the podium!" Anyway, the true believers know in their hearts whats happening, and whats to come. The old saying a bout what not to talk about, "politics, religion, and your best friend's sisters" is true. Bring up any and youll have never ending arguements and discussions. But hey its one way to keep intellectual stimulation happening.
LOL!

Referring to Rush Limbaugh and "intellectual stimulation" in the same post is hilarious! Thanks for the laugh. =)
Old 02-28-2010, 2:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N1RGR View Post
Agreed....The falling away of the Church is one of the signs. We believers in Christ have become the outcast of this generation as the world is rejecting Christ and embracing sin and immorality. And now they want immorality in the Church also. But so it is written. All the signs are evident and we have been warned that these things will happen. We believers will be prosecuted for our faith in Christ. The question is Who will be saved when Christ returns if this is the generation?
Do you realize that, from the perspective of a practicing non-Christian, your view of the "end times" is almost as terrifying as anything a radical Muslim could dream up?

Think about that for a second, and maybe you'll get a glimmering of understanding of just what it is that non-religious people find so repulsive. The fear isn't that God will smite us. That sort of thing really doesn't happen. The fear is, some extreme branch of (name your religion here) is going to pull the trigger on World War 3.

God will have had nothing to do with it.

I want no part of yours, or anyone else's prophecies.
Old 02-28-2010, 2:46 PM
Not Posting

Quote:
Originally Posted by zz0468 View Post
Yes, but remember... some of us are here for the entertainment value. I have no illusions that anyone will walk away with a different opinion from the one they started with.
Weird?

I can understand arguing for fun even though the person on the other side will never give in, but I can not understand arguing under false pretenses. (For fun or for not)
Old 02-28-2010, 3:24 PM

Quote:
Weird?

I can understand arguing for fun even though the person on the other side will never give in, but I can not understand arguing under false pretenses. (For fun or for not)
False pretenses?

I'm not sure I'm getting that...
Old 02-28-2010, 3:30 PM
Not Posting

Using the rules of logic to argue a position of faith, and/or using principles of faith to argue for or against a logical assertion.
Old 02-28-2010, 3:57 PM

Quote:
Using the rules of logic to argue a position of faith, and/or using principles of faith to argue for or against a logical assertion.
I'd be more inclined to attribute that to slight insanity, not necessarily false pretenses. And I will readily admit to slightly insane practices such as that. But the reasons behind that are simple... it's just good sport!
Old 02-28-2010, 5:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zz0468 View Post
Do you realize that, from the perspective of a practicing non-Christian, your view of the "end times" is almost as terrifying as anything a radical Muslim could dream up?

Think about that for a second, and maybe you'll get a glimmering of understanding of just what it is that non-religious people find so repulsive. The fear isn't that God will smite us. That sort of thing really doesn't happen. The fear is, some extreme branch of (name your religion here) is going to pull the trigger on World War 3.

God will have had nothing to do with it.

I want no part of yours, or anyone else's prophecies.
Well said. You hear Fundamentalist, Literalist christians talk about how bat**** crazy the koran is. Just about as bat**** crazy and repulsive as the bible! Stupid people interpreting apocryphal literature is not a good combination!
Old 02-28-2010, 8:25 PM

Wow this is great!

How can a person differentiate between belief and reality?
How does one know that what one believes in, is reality?
Do you think that believing (in) something, whether real or not, makes it real?

Now, saying that religion is the belief in God or other invisible all powerful supreme being(s), can you separate the philosophies associated with one or more religions from having to believe in (and worship) a God.
Men have, historically, used the malevolence of a pissed off (imaginary) God to control other people to get them to do their bidding or follow them. It works even to this day.

Once you enter a place of worship, you hang your logic with your coat.

Keeping on topic, how many believe in Elton John? Is he for real? Is he Satan?

Barry
Old 02-28-2010, 8:28 PM
Not Posting

You can test reality (within some level of confidence)
You can only have faith in a belief.

Mistaking faith for confidence leads to irrational arguments.
Old 02-28-2010, 8:37 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highlander_821 View Post
Well said. You hear Fundamentalist, Literalist christians talk about how bat**** crazy the koran is. Just about as bat**** crazy and repulsive as the bible! Stupid people interpreting apocryphal literature is not a good combination!
Oh Yes.. how crazy...can you imagine a book that speaks of love,hope,faith and forgiveness. How terrible,How awful, how repulsive.But you .. why yes you are the smart one oh ye of little faith...We are just all stupid Bible believing people right...All 2.1 billion of us!!!
Old 02-28-2010, 8:57 PM

What is faith? Unquestioning belief? Unquestioning belief in God, religion, supreme beings, etc.? A particular religion? Anything believed? (thanks to Websters New World Dictionary).

I have faith in reality. And Elton John (staying on topic).

I wonder sometimes if the Religion thread was a good idea. I may have lost potential friends who believe that since I am atheist, they cannot associate with me, and on the other hand I may have influenced some whom I may not have compatability with. (I obviously didn't have to post at all). I hope at the end of the day (or end of times, lol) we may stay friends or at least aquaintances on good terms. I remain unjudgemental.

Another question: can one tell the difference between good and evil without religion or God?

Barry
Old 02-28-2010, 9:03 PM

Quote:
by N1RGR: Oh Yes.. how crazy...can you imagine a book that speaks of love,hope,faith and forgiveness. How terrible,How awful, how repulsive.But you .. why yes you are the smart one oh ye of little faith...We are just all stupid Bible believing people right...All 2.1 billion of us!!!
Is there no forgiveness in your heart?

Barry
Sponsored links
Old 02-28-2010, 9:08 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by barry008 View Post
What is faith? Unquestioning belief? Unquestioning belief in God, religion, supreme beings, etc.? A particular religion? Anything believed? (thanks to Websters New World Dictionary).

I have faith in reality. And Elton John (staying on topic).

I wonder sometimes if the Religion thread was a good idea. I may have lost potential friends who believe that since I am atheist, they cannot associate with me, and on the other hand I may have influenced some whom I may not have compatability with. (I obviously didn't have to post at all). I hope at the end of the day (or end of times, lol) we may stay friends or at least aquaintances on good terms. I remain unjudgemental.

Another question: can one tell the difference between good and evil without religion or God?

Barry
Barry,speaking for myself only just because we dont agree on any one topic does not mean I now hate you or anybody on this site.I dont know if others feel the same way but thats what it boils down to for me. My altimate joy is my radio hobby and thats the one thing we all have in common. Lets never forget that!! Im tunning around on 80 meters right now and Im as happy as a clam.
Old 02-28-2010, 9:14 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by barry008 View Post
Is there no forgiveness in your heart?

Barry
Im still working on that one Barry.
Old 02-28-2010, 9:34 PM

Quote:
Oh Yes.. how crazy...can you imagine a book that speaks of love,hope,faith and forgiveness. How terrible,How awful, how repulsive.
Love and hope, indeed...

"...For yet seven days, and I will cause it to rain upon the earth forty days and forty nights; and every living substance that I have made will I destroy from off the face of the earth." Genesis 7:4

For almost 1200 similar inspirations:

Cruelty and Violence

Quote:
But you .. why yes you are the smart one oh ye of little faith...We are just all stupid Bible believing people right...All 2.1 billion of us!!!
Calling yourself stupid is way harsh. I was raised Catholic, so I understand... You're just believing what you were taught to believe. But some of us looked closer, and really didn't like what we saw.

I'm sorry... A God as vengeful and violent and moody as the one depicted in the Bible doesn't warrant my worship.

Quote:
Originally Posted by barry008
Keeping on topic, how many believe in Elton John? Is he for real? Is he Satan?
Well, I've heard Elton John's music live, so I know he exists. Is he Satan? Naw... Just some musically gifted gay guy with a really big mouth.

But when you think about what Elton John said about Jesus... Hmmm... Never married, hung out with a bunch of men, the only woman he ever spent time with was a prostitute. Food for thought!
Old 02-28-2010, 9:35 PM
Completely Banned for the Greater Good
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

If you were secure in your belief, faith, religion or lack thereof this and all such differences would be non issues. It is only your insecurity that gives rise to your primitive fear-threat reactions and no wonder, with all the dogma, internal conflicts, conflicts in the Bible itself and corruption of the Church you're so confused you don't know which way to turn.

Frankly I can have far more intelligent conversations about religion with my atheist friends than any others and the most interesting point they all bring up is why they left the church. If you want to know why you don't even have to guess, the answer is staring you straight in the face, just look up a few lines.

HEY YOU! Stop hogging the popcorn! (I'll trade you for my Kool Aid.)
Old 02-28-2010, 10:24 PM
Not Posting

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb2vxa View Post
Frankly I can have far more intelligent conversations about religion with my atheist friends than any others . . .

HEY YOU! Stop hogging the popcorn! (I'll trade you for my Kool Aid.)
First Warren, we are fairly sure you have no friends, but we are not so sure why only some of the voices in your head are atheists?