RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > The RadioReference Tavern > Religion

Religion - Dog is my copilot. My karma ran over your dogma

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-22-2018, 1:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rescue161 View Post
I'd like to think that I'm fully recovered as well, but never really bought into the whole Christianity thing.
I never bought into it, either, but it wasn't until I was 12 that I realized I could tell my mother it wasn't for me. To her credit, she let me make my own decision. I've never regretted it.
Sponsored links
Old 08-22-2018, 1:43 PM
KE4FHH
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

You are very lucky to have an understanding mother. I was forced to go to church until I joined the Navy. I have sense erased religion from my life.
Old 08-22-2018, 1:48 PM

You did bring up spiritual needs.
Still can't account where those atoms originated in the first place huh? Oh well.
Prayer is never a waste of time but you're going from a perspective of a 12 year old.
We all think we know everything when we're 12 don't we?
Old 08-22-2018, 2:44 PM

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrabbyMilton View Post
You did bring up spiritual needs.
Yes, I did... in the context of not needing a God to fulfill my spiritual needs. Maybe if you read it slower and more carefully you'll comprehend what I'm saying.

Quote:
Still can't account where those atoms originated in the first place huh? Oh well.
Oops. There's your God of the Gaps again.

Once the big bang cooled enough, all those quarks and electrons formed hydrogen and helium atoms.

OK, before the big bang, we don't know yet. Is THAT your proof of God? What happens to Him when we figure that out? He's running out of pockets of ignorance to hide in.

Quote:
Prayer is never a waste of time..
It is if you're a kid starving in Somalia, or you're in Ukraine wanting the Russians to go home, or you're a business man in Venezuela wanting a free economy, or you're Mollie Tibbets' father and you want your daughter back. Or... Or... Or...

I could go on forever, but I won't.

Prayer fails millions of people every day.

Quote:
...but you're going from a perspective of a 12 year old. We all think we know everything when we're 12 don't we?
I'm going from the perspective of my present day self. I'm not afraid of making a mistake and taking corrective action. I never have been. It just so happens, when I was 12, I was correct.
Old 08-22-2018, 2:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rescue161 View Post
You are very lucky to have an understanding mother.
And a father who was an engineer and good at explaining science to his kids.
Sponsored links
Old 08-22-2018, 4:13 PM

I won't speak for the people outside Christianity but God DOES answer all prayers. Perhaps it's not the way WE want him to but long term it's his will not ours.
For a guy who doesn't believe that God even exists, you sure like to talk about it all the time.
Please, keep it up I enjoy the banter and will try to address the questions regardless if you present them as childish or sarcastic just the same.
Old 08-22-2018, 7:01 PM

Quote:
I won't speak for the people outside Christianity but God DOES answer all prayers.
As evidenced by what, exactly? You saying he does? That's just not good enough, and I'm not impressed.

I certainly see plenty of evidence of prayers not answered, though.

Quote:
Perhaps it's not the way WE want him to but long term it's his will not ours.
And just what IS his will? How do you know what God's will is, when He doesn't actually communicate it?

It always gets down to some human claiming to speak for God, and God himself STILL has not weighed in on the debate. Ever.

Quote:
For a guy who doesn't believe that God even exists, you sure like to talk about it all the time.
So? It's an interesting subject.

Quote:
Please, keep it up I enjoy the banter and will try to address the questions regardless if you present them as childish or sarcastic just the same.
So, it's childish to have a different opinion than you? Who died and made you God?

OK, so I'm sarcastic. Sue me.
Old 08-22-2018, 7:12 PM

Oh lighten up Elwood I never suggested you were childish or sarcastic. Just pulling your chain.
Again, what I said I stand by in that no person can instill faith. Only God can do that.
Those of us who have faith can't really explain it either. It does help to read and study the Bible.
But like I said, if you just want to argue then by all means go right ahead and yes, it is interesting and it's good that you take an interest.
Old 08-23-2018, 1:57 AM

Quote:
Oh lighten up Elwood I never suggested you were childish or sarcastic.
Not that it bothered me one bit, but yeah, you did. Don't make me show you.

Quote:
Again, what I said I stand by in that no person can instill faith. Only God can do that.
I disagree. I have faith in my friends and family. That doesn't count? I have more faith in them than I have in some imaginary god.

Quote:
Those of us who have faith can't really explain it either. It does help to read and study the Bible.
Actually not. It was reading the Bible that made me realize that religion makes absolutely no sense unless you put it in the context of a mechanism to control people.

Quote:
But like I said, if you just want to argue then by all means go right ahead and yes, it is interesting and it's good that you take an interest.
Oh, good. I'm just warming up.
Old 08-23-2018, 6:45 AM

Fair enough. I look forward to it.
Old 08-31-2018, 11:48 PM

If you believe in god and the bible - and for the record, I do not - which version do you believe in?

The original bible was written in ancient Hebrew (an assumption yes, but it certainly was not in English). It has been translated many, many times in the last 2000 plus years. So, is the current King James version the revered word of god or the original Hebrew version, or any of those versions in between?

R
Old 09-01-2018, 9:22 AM

Well as you said there are countless translations.
I was brought up on the RSV.
I also like the NIV.
The KJV is great but has inaccuracies
Old 09-02-2018, 9:44 PM

Quote:
The KJV is great but has inaccuracies
How can you tell? Considering that God Himself hasn't come down and provided an official copy of the Meeting Minutes, how would one determine which version of the Bible is more prone to errors over another?
Old 09-03-2018, 1:34 AM

There is no perfect translation but his word does come thru.
Admittedly, much of this comes from hairsplitting dilalog over language barriers.
Old 09-03-2018, 3:03 AM

Quote:
There is no perfect translation but his word does come thru.
Admittedly, much of this comes from hairsplitting dilalog over language barriers.
You're putting a lot of faith in those translators (pun intended). But here, you appear to be admitting that it's not actually directly God's word, and it is indeed imperfect. I think we're making progress here.
Old 09-03-2018, 9:54 AM

The fact that there will be superficial errors in translation is ages old.
If God came down and specified which version was acceptable, there would still be those that would doubt.
Old 09-03-2018, 1:32 PM

It all adds up, though, to a document claimed to be the literal word of God that's had the hand of man all over it. At this point, it would no longer be the literal word of God. How could you trust it without simply resorting to faith?

It always comes down to faith, which is simply the belief in something where no evidence exists to support that belief.

Quote:
The fact that there will be superficial errors in translation is ages old.
If God came down and specified which version was acceptable, there would still be those that would doubt.
Old 09-03-2018, 2:17 PM

Yes it does come down to faith so that we can agree.
People like Martin Luther and the Apostle Paul had their faith challenged many times only to have it strengthened. They could not explain it either but they rejoiced that it was.
Again, there is disagreement of which translation is the closest to God's word but there is nothing wrong among believers over such disagreements. That's BTW why there are different church denominations.
They may not agree on certain areas of doctrine and practice but they agree on the core and key points that unify. Scripture often speaks of this.
Old 09-03-2018, 4:02 PM

Quote:
That's BTW why there are different church denominations.
And that's one of the foundations for athiesm and agnosticism. There are many religions and denominations of various religions. They can't all be correct. It's far more likely that all of them are wrong.

There's something like 4200 religions in the world. If even one of them is correct, then the odds are 4200 to 1 against any one religion actually being THE true religion.

It's kinda hard to have faith when the odds are so against it. Isn't it a bit arrogant to believe yours is IT, and not someone else's?
Old 09-03-2018, 5:48 PM

There’s a fine line between arrogance and confidence.
I don’t need to be arrogant. However, some of my fellow Christians do come across as arrogant.
But if one is determined to dismiss anything regarding faith, any presentation will be viewed as arrogant.